Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave notice period

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Strumms wrote: »
    I haven’t claimed anywhere that they ‘couldn’t’. There will be always situations where an employer can’t approve...

That said, it’s worth noting...From the relevant legislation....

“The legislation REQUIRES the Employer to consider the Employees need for rest and recreation, and to reconcile their work and family responsibilities when an application is received.”

The important word is “consider”, this does not say you have a right to AL whenever you want.

This will give you the info you need to inform yourself.

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/what_you_should_know/leave/annual-leave/

“The employer determines the timing of an employee’s annual leave, taking into consideration work and personal requirements”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

AulWan wrote: »
    "I don't know how they got away with it", in the sense that I don't know why the employees put up with it.

Personally I wouldn't have lasted six months there, especially not when my kids were small, and most of my annual leave went on days off when they got sick.

I've worked for one company that wouldn't allow annual leave to be used for sickness - either your own or your kids.

Their argument was that the law says AL is for rest and recreation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Is there a specific holiday policy in the company? That's what dictates how holidays are booked, how much notice needs to be given etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Dav010 wrote: »
    The important word is “consider”, this does not say you have a right to AL whenever you want.

“The employer determines the timing of an employee’s annual leave, taking into consideration work and personal requirements”

You're both right. The employer controls the diary, and has the final decision, but can only deny leave if your attendance is almost critical to a business related matter, or due to staffing needs. They must be seen to be fair and reasonable. You can't deny a parent two weeks off during school holidays for example, unless it's an extraordinary event. That's the basics, but pretty much sums it up..... fair and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I've worked for one company that wouldn't allow annual leave to be used for sickness - either your own or your kids.

Their argument was that the law says AL is for rest and recreation.

They are correct. Likewise if you are sick during AL, once you inform them and get a doctor's note, your AL for the days you were sick is reinstated.

You can use force majeure days too for the above, Google it, sorry haven't time to explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nobody is claiming that annual leave can be taken ‘whenever you want’, fûck no business can operate like that....

You simply apply for leave that you are entitled to whenever you feel you want/need it... and as the legislation says... the employer needs to take into account work AND personal requirements....

If xxxxx apply for 8-16 May, but their is a training course booked that is mandatory as a boss I’m considering not approving.... then I’m looking at that employee who has has their last request denied also, due to illness and no cover in the team and hasn’t had a break in a number of months, has been flexible with overtime I’m thinking... “ok, you know what, while not ideal, I’m going to approve this holiday, they deserve and NEED it... they can get the credit for this course by doing a CBT... not ideal the classroom environment is better but “PERSONAL requirements need to be of upmost consideration” that’s as per the legislation, as per being a reasonable person and employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Worked for a small company where there was a mad rush every January to get dates booked. Never considered this request an imposition. Where there are family members to take into account dates need to be organised well in advance, otherwise I'd imagine a general indication of leave requests should be enough. Found I became a fan of extended weekends, especially around BH and often easier to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Nobody is claiming that annual leave can be taken ‘whenever you want’, fûck no business can operate like that....

Nope, supposed to facilitate their employees annual leave requests, why the leave is requested or required, none of their fûcking business.
    Unless it’s refusal due to a ‘legitimate’ business reason, they do...

Strumms, you are saying here that you can take AL whenever you want, you are now contradicting yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Hoboo wrote: »
    They are correct. Likewise if you are sick during AL, once you inform them and get a doctor's note, your AL for the days you were sick is reinstated.

You can use force majeure days too for the above, Google it, sorry haven't time to explain.

Force majeure is only meant to be used for medical emergencies, and is only a max of 5 days over 3 years.

I used to keep at least 5 days A/L aside per year in case the kids got sick. Thankfully my job did allow us to take annual leave for this (no option to take unpaid leave, or I would have taken it instead). I've taken it for the odd day A/L while I was sick too, rather then go to the GP for a cert for 1/2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hoboo wrote: »

And the employee has to take those days as unpaid leave. Losing pay because your kid gof sick - how very "family friendly".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FluffPiece

And the employee has to take those days as unpaid leave. Losing pay because your kid gof sick - how very "family friendly".

Unless a company has paid sick leave in place of course. Annual Leave can be replaced with paid sick leave upon a medical cert being produced assuming the employee is within their limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Strumms, you are saying here that you can take AL whenever you want, you are now contradicting yourself.

No contradiction, it’s clear.. an employee can apply for leave as they want / need it... it’s been shown that a legitimate reason needs to be in place for denial... annual leave is not a favor, it’s a legal entitlement.

Advertisement