Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020, who would you like to see be elected? See Mod note in Post 1

Options
  • 15-01-2020 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

As the title states, the date for the General Election has been confirmed. Who would you like to see elected in the Wexford area?

MOD NOTE:
    Lets keep it civil and on-topic. No name-calling or other childish carry-on.
    Be aware of libelous comments - big claims require big evidence!

If you are in any way involved with the local candidates or political parties you must declare this before you engage in the discussion.

Any misbehaviour will be dealt with swiftly and without further warning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Who I'd like to see is a bit tricky not many of the current crop have much value but Howlin will got my number one after him I wait and see

For anyone that doesn't know who is running
    Lab - Howlin
    FF - In "the North" Malcolm Byrne, James Browne and in "the South" Michael Sheehan and Lisa MacDonald
    FG - Darcy and Kehoe (again) mooted third candidate in Hegarty
    IND - Verona Murphy, Ger Carty, Mick Wallace's Puppet Seanie o Shea
    PbP - (edit) Deidre Wadding (again)
    SF - Johnny Mythen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Who I'd like to see is a bit tricky not many of the current crop have much value but Howlin will got my number one after him I wait and see

For anyone that doesn't know who is running
    Lab - Howlin
    FF - In "the North" Malcolm Byrne, James Browne and in "the South" Michael Sheehan and Lisa MacDonald
    IND - Verona Murphy, Ger Carty, Mick Wallace's Puppet Seanie o Shea
    PbP - (edit) Deidre Wadding (again)
    SF - Johnny Mythen

Just the one - assuming the Green Party site is up-to-date - https://www.greenparty.ie/people/karin-dubsky

Karin-Dubsky-WEB.jpg

No one has been announced yet Wexford isn't listed with a Green Party 2020 candidate yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It be easier to say who isn't getting votes ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Could be wiser for them to just run the two sitting ones, Kehoe is on enough shakey enough ground I personally think,

As long as Verona doen't get in I'd be happy, on radio and TV over the past few days and nowhere to be seen before the local elections, just lost all interest in her since then, gave Byrne the nod at the locals so I might go again with him,

There was talk at one point of Bridin Murphy joining the FG ticket, that off the cards now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Genuinely a woeful lot running this time. Howlin is getting my #1, like him or not at least he has a head on his shoulders.
    Too many Fianna Fáilers, they'll cannibalise each other's vote and it wouldn't hugely surprise me to see Malcolm lose his seat to Sheehan. McDonald is completely swamped between Jim Codd and Ger Carthy - both of whom should manage to do alright for themselves, not within a roar of a seat however.
    Verona Murphy will make an absolute show of herself again, then that's hopefully the last we see of her.

This is Johnny Mythen's last chance saloon, he's lost his council seat and now he needs the Dáil, which I can't see him getting.

Fine Gael putting forward the same old, I would expect them both to get in because there's just no one else to take Kehoe's seat and because D'arcy went up against Malcolm Byrne the last time and won. Hegarty might run and he might do alright for himself, but he won't be getting much votes at all in Wexford town - outside of Castlebridge, Curracloe and Kilinerin I can't see him taking much of any vote. Brídín Murphy, if she runs, will be squeezed out by Verona and Michael Sheehan, she hasn't been around long enough (and I'm not entirely sure she even lives in the constituency? I'm aware she lived in Dublin during the locals).

The Greens will presumably field Dubsky again. I had high hopes for her but she was very disappointing in debates, and didn't seem to properly grasp what the Dáil does or have a vision for what she wants it to do. She also appeared to be against 5G networks during the campaign, though maybe someone has talked sense into her since. I'd expect her to do well for herself.

With Labour I think it's the same story as last time, Howlin should be very strong in the Wexford area and that bit weaker elsewhere in the county. Given the level of fragmentation with so many FF/FG/ Independent candidates, he should comfortably top the poll again.

I just really hope next time we have a few strong, competent candidates. The calibre of our politicians is precisely why Wexford is in the state that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Living and working in Gorey, I'll be voting for 1. Malcolm Byrne and 2. Michael Darcy as they have both been very effective for North Wexford. I'll have to do a bit of thinking for 3rd preference onwards.

Malcolm Byrne has only been a TD a wet week but his work at local and county level has been impressive for some time. Michael Darcy has had longer as a TD and in my opinion has done a decent job.

I'm not all about local issues like some Healy-Rae voter in Kerry, but I see these two frequently involved in debating issues that have a direct impact on me, and frequently involved in local activities (not just for the when the cameras show up either), so I feel like I know a little bit about what they stand for and how effective they are.

I contacted the Greens yesterday as to whether they would be running a candidate but no word back yet. As I understand it Karin Dubsky is reluctant to go forward again and there's nobody else.

As for Verona Murphy, I think she could get in and Paul Kehoe who barely scraped in last time out might be the loser.

ITDept wrote: »
    Living and working in Gorey, I'll be voting for 1. Malcolm Byrne and 2. Michael Darcy as they have both been very effective for North Wexford. I'll have to do a bit of thinking for 3rd preference onwards.

Malcolm Byrne has only been a TD a wet week but his work at local and county level has been impressive for some time. Michael Darcy has had longer as a TD and in my opinion has done a decent job.

I'm not all about local issues like some Healy-Rae voter in Kerry, but I see these two frequently involved in debating issues that have a direct impact on me, and frequently involved in local activities (not just for the when the cameras show up either), so I feel like I know a little bit about what they stand for and how effective they are.

That is the issue i have with those two they are very North Wexford centric and don't seem to care about anywhere south of the N25 they probably be happy if Gorey was part of Dublin though some would say it is already. The north/south divide is pretty clear with FF running two up North in Gorey and Enniscorthy and 2 down South in New Ross and Wexford.

I like the idea FF are doing but I think it was spread their vote too thin and may cost them a seat

The Greens apparently want a candidate in every place but Dubsky she didn't seem cut out for politics seemed rather uncomfortable at times discussing issues.

No word as yet for Renua, DDI, SD's, or John Dwyer

Edit Aontu Jim Codd has announced he is running

• Advertisement

That would explain the Green Party's reluctance to reply to my emails. I think Karin Dubsky looks tired and owes nobody anything after her years of preaching the Green agenda long before it became more accepted. Hopefully somebody worthwhile will be found so that Wexford green voters will not be disenfranchised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

With a bit of luck the Greens will crash and burn, bunch of hypocrites. Doesn't anybody remember their last tenure in office?

Marhay70 wrote: »
    With a bit of luck the Greens will crash and burn, bunch of hypocrites. Doesn't anybody remember their last tenure in office?

The Greens have some daft policies such as reintroducing wolves but in the main there is no alternative to adopting many of their ideas.

Paula Roseingrave will be announced as Green Party candidate tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Still nothing official from the Green Party that I can see. I'd be hesitant to vote for someone shoved into the election at the last minute when it appears it's hardly been their burning ambition to represent us or fight for a cause.

I don't really have a problem with voting for someone who has been effective for my area or for my interests, and who may be ineffective for other areas etc. I think that's a normal way to vote isn't it? "What's best for me and my family?" as opposed to "What's best for society as a whole?".

I also don't believe in voting for a party. I vote for individual candidates, not their parties. If everyone did the same then we'd end up with a group of TDs who have shown an aptitude for getting things done and generally doing the right thing, rather than some getting in because of family connections etc.

ITDept wrote: »
    Still nothing official from the Green Party that I can see. I'd be hesitant to vote for someone shoved into the election at the last minute when it appears it's hardly been their burning ambition to represent us or fight for a cause.

I don't really have a problem with voting for someone who has been effective for my area or for my interests, and who may be ineffective for other areas etc. I think that's a normal way to vote isn't it? "What's best for me and my family?" as opposed to "What's best for society as a whole?".

I also don't believe in voting for a party. I vote for individual candidates, not their parties. If everyone did the same then we'd end up with a group of TDs who have shown an aptitude for getting things done and generally doing the right thing, rather than some getting in because of family connections etc.

They have confirm with local journalist who confirmed it with me though they have 24 hours to change their mind. That is the issue I have with the Green Party in Wexford even though they have gone from a few hundred to a few thousand to a first preference votes in the last decade they have a constant habit of shoving someone new up for election just before the election and you don't see or hear from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I just might vote for Verona Murphy to stick it to D'Arcy and cry baby Kehoe. Kehoe has always been a waste of space and D'Arcy, I don't think could find his way home from anywhere outside the Gorey/Killinerin corridor. Still riding on his Daddy's coat tails, not that he was much use either. As for Howlin and Browne, least said the better, I have my blood pressure to think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

D'Arcy must be worried, he's got two lamp posts postered in my street at the south end of Wexford town. No-one else has postered here.

• Advertisement

RadioRetro wrote: »
    D'Arcy must be worried, he's got two lamp posts postered in my street at the south end of Wexford town. No-one else has postered here.

FG don't really have a strong voter base in Wexford Town look at how badly they have done in local county council elections over the past few cycles and their last town Councillor was Anna Fenlon. That is one in nearly 20 years

Not running a candidate from south wexford though was a mistake by FG they didn't run three as it was too risky as it might cost them a seat but by not running three it may cost them a seat especially with Verona running as an Independent along side the likes of Carthy, Codd, McDonald in south wexford.

Howlin will top the poll with Browne and Byrne getting a seat each for FF but then transfers will play a big role and if there is a strong action by traditional non voters to get out and vote FG will be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Any candidates talking about 24/7 cardiac care campaign for Southeast as an issue?
    Is anyone raising it as an issue on the doorsteps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

"FG don't really have a strong voter base in Wexford Town"

My point exactly.

RadioRetro wrote: »
    "FG don't really have a strong voter base in Wexford Town"

My point exactly.

I think Jim Allen was the last FG town Councillor to have an FG office in town ? One of the first times I was voting he was on about unemployment giving people opportunities and I ask would his computer business give a concession of prices of training courses as I wasn't working never got a response from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Any candidates talking about 24/7 cardiac care campaign for Southeast as an issue?
    Is anyone raising it as an issue on the doorsteps?
    Brendan Howlin has spoken at length about it since the campaign to provide 24/7 care was raised in 2016 (perhaps even earlier). I think Ger Carthy spoke about it too at some point.
    I think Jim Allen was the last FG town Councillor to have an FG office in town ? One of the first times I was voting he was on about unemployment giving people opportunities and I ask would his computer business give a concession of prices of training courses as I wasn't working never got a response from him.

There is a D'arcy office I think on Charlotte Street - though I don't think he spends much time there. In the local elections, Fine Gael polled around 8% around the Faythe, and that's with somewhat more local candidates and personal votes. The fact a Gorey based TD is postering in estates around there definitely sounds like he's worried for his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

What a sorry bunch we have, FF or FG. How could anyone vote for the Greens is beyond me,do people not have a memory? They were part of a government that set the country back billions. The week the IMF came to town they were debating Stag hunting in the Dail,like WTF?!!! They hung onto power and backed a corrupt government till the end, they should be shut down altogether. Seanie O Shea is out looking for Wallace voters,another waste of a vote. Verona Murphy Maybe just to sicken FG would be no harm but she probably would be useless,Sick to the teeth of Kehoe and Howlin,they have done literally nothing for the county. We are a jobs blackspot,all Howlin jumps up and down about is social housing,he well past his sell by date. Malcolm Byrne is another maybe and is the most competent politician but would people trust Fianna Fáil?

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    What a sorry bunch we have, FF or FG. How could anyone vote for the Greens is beyond me,do people not have a memory? They were part of a government that set the country back billions. The week the IMF came to town they were debating Stag hunting in the Dail,like WTF?!!! They hung onto power and backed a corrupt government till the end, they should be shut down altogether. Seanie O Shea is out looking for Wallace voters,another waste of a vote. Verona Murphy Maybe just to sicken FG would be no harm but she probably would be useless,Sick to the teeth of Kehoe and Howlin,they have done literally nothing for the county. We are a jobs blackspot,all Howlin jumps up and down about is social housing,he well past his sell by date. Malcolm Byrne is another maybe and is the most competent politician but would people trust Fianna Fáil?

Agree with most of the above but will you be voting?

Can’t disagree with anything there

Howlin did nothing ? Ah here twice when he was a minister he got major investment into Wexford General Hospital granted he shouldn't have had to do that the Government should have reconsidered the importance of the hospital and allotted funding its self. There is a small little regular thing I needed doing and it was on the chopping board in 2010 but do to Howlin's funding into Wexford Hospital I don't have to travel to Dublin or Waterford.

I understand peoples criticisms of Howlin but to say he did nothing its a silly statement to make

Don't forget it was Howlin's bill and vote that trigger the end of Haughys government so ya know that is also something good he did.

• Advertisement

The FF/ Green Government in which Eamonn Ryan of the Green Party was, ironically, Minister for Environment, bullied and intimidated people in Mayo, forcing them, by way of CPO, to give up large portions of their land to an environmentally suspect project of landing gas and potentially, oil, at the site, which was proposed by Shell.
    Ordinary people protested in their thousands and were met with gangs of thugs, supported by, and some would say drawn from, the ranks of AGS. Five of the men, who owned the land were imprisoned for three months on foot of an injunction granted to Shell by the High Court.
    All this was preceded, in the previous Government, by a sustained attack by the Greens, on Bertie Ahern, that paragon of virtue, for his close association with Shell. (Ahern was the driving force behind the reduction to virtually zero, of Irish State revenues from oil and gas exploration, coincidence no doubt) So it can have come as no surprise to the Greens that there were vested interests at work here, but they continued to support FF.

As I said, hypocrites of the highest order, they will tax the working man to the pin of his collar with their supposed carbon taxes yet will allow the likes of Shell to destroy the natural habitats of thousands of creatures to facilitate bringing the fossil fuels they so object to, onshore.

Advertisement