Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020, who would you like to see be elected? See Mod note in Post 1

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

What has changed, the people of the Enniscorthy district didn't elect Mythen in the local elections recently and now he has topped the poll. The vote isn't for him personally but for SF and a vote against FF/FG. I've no time for SF or Mythen but they look like they are going to form the next government.

He was a distant fourth in the by-election too. Mythen will be a makeweight in the SF machine, just there to vote. The chances of him effecting any change for the people of Wexford lie somewhere between slim and nil.
    I have no objection in principle to SF in Government, I do have a problem in ethics and it seems that every so often SF slips back into the past.
    I think SF have some very able TDs, Eoin O'Broin, Pearse Doherty and John Brady spring to mind but I also think they have a core which still subscribes to the Armalite and Ballot Box philosophy and until such times as this core dies out, they will always be viewed with suspicion by people like me who have lived through the years of the Troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Marhay70 wrote: »
    He was a distant fourth in the by-election too. Mythen will be a makeweight in the SF machine, just there to vote. The chances of him effecting any change for the people of Wexford lie somewhere between slim and nil.
    I have no objection in principle to SF in Government, I do have a problem in ethics and it seems that every so often SF slips back into the past.
    I think SF have some very able TDs, Eoin O'Broin, Pearse Doherty and John Brady spring to mind but I also think they have a core which still subscribes to the Armalite and Ballot Box philosophy and until such times as this core dies out, they will always be viewed with suspicion by people like me who have lived through the years of the Troubles.

Agreed, and to see their supporters singing rebel songs in a count centre today doesn't inspire confidence Louise O Reilly and Matt Carty are competent people too. If they do form a government, they should be kept away from justice, defence and the DFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

If it's a FF SF government, has to be O'Broin for housing. He's head and shoulders above Eoghan Murphy or Barry Cowen.

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    If it's a FF SF government, has to be O'Broin for housing. He's head and shoulders above Eoghan Murphy or Barry Cowen.

doesnt matter, he wont be able to magic money and build 100,000 houses like he has promised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

What has changed, the people of the Enniscorthy district didn't elect Mythen in the local elections recently and now he has topped the poll. The vote isn't for him personally but for SF and a vote against FF/FG. I've no time for SF or Mythen but they look like they are going to form the next government.

Was Mythen affected by changes in electoral district last time? I don't know the answer, just asking the question.

• Advertisement

Was Mythen affected by changes in electoral district last time? I don't know the answer, just asking the question.

Enniscorthy boundary was changed.

Could we be without any FG TD's? Verona and Byrne could knock both out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Enniscorthy boundary was changed.

Could we be without any FG TD's? Verona and Byrne could knock both out.

Well if boundary was changed would that explain Mythen' s poor showing in the local elections?

Well if boundary was changed would that explain Mythen' s poor showing in the local elections?

Local elections were last summer, Dail by-election to replace Mick Wallace was in November. He did badly in that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

doesnt matter, he wont be able to magic money and build 100,000 houses like he has promised

But they only cost 60k each, don't forget :)

You're probably correct. I also think it's correct that the ratio of public housing vs HAP payments to landlords, requires a shift in emphasis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Brendan Howlin got in on the latest count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

What was a factor was Mythen losing some of his key supporters to Jim Codd over the abortion issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Verona Murphy on the verge of getting a seat.
    I actually didn't expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Verona Murphy on the verge of getting a seat.
    I actually didn't expect that.

Most people did, she had the FG vote in South Wexford and the Anti FG vote plus she had "guts" to take about immigration and other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Darcy looks toast now and if geography comes into voting rather than party Keogh could be following him

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

RTE saying Michael D'Arcy has lost his seat on the 10th count.

Talk of a recount now, Kehoe must have gone blubbing to the Returning Officer.
    Realistically, Byrne is in with a very good chance, I don't think there's much love lost between Kehoe and D'Arcy but I think FG voters will automatically transfer largely to Kehoe. Byrne may well benefit from the Gorey vote but whether his lead is enough to hold on is debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mythen didn't figure on my radar at all but I knew Verona would get a seat. I had her pegged for the pent up Mick Wallace vote, which was neither left nor right but anti-establishment generally.

It's Kehoe, Jesus Wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's Kehoe, Jesus Wept.

Elected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Elected?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a funny old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It could be worse I suppose - there will another chance to get rid of him sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Disappointing result from my point of view. I think North Wexford will not do as well with the newly elected representatives as we did with the previous ones. The focus will now be elsewhere and from a selfish or personal point of view, that's not great news.

I'm not bitter as suggested earlier in the thread - I think that's a bit of a condescending thing to suggest. I just think the idea of voting as a protest without fully considering the potential consequences of your protest winning is a fairly foolish thing to do.

ITDept wrote: »
    Disappointing result from my point of view. I think North Wexford will not do as well with the newly elected representatives as we did with the previous ones. The focus will now be elsewhere and from a selfish or personal point of view, that's not great news.

I'm not bitter as suggested earlier in the thread - I think that's a bit of a condescending thing to suggest. I just think the idea of voting as a protest without fully considering the potential consequences of your protest winning is a fairly foolish thing to do.

Have to say I would much rather have seen Malcolm Byrne retain his seat than the whinger Kehoe although I'm not a FF fan.
    Disappointed, but not surprised to hear virtually every elected SF TD bring up the Border Poll in interviews. I can understand that it is an important cog in their wheel but really I don't see it as a priority for this Dáil. Tackle the important things like Health, Housing and Social Protection and when you've solved them, come back and talk to us about Border Polls.

Have to say I would much rather have seen Malcolm Byrne retain his seat than the whinger Kehoe although I'm not a FF fan.
    Disappointed, but not surprised to hear virtually every elected SF TD bring up the Border Poll in interviews. I can understand that it is an important cog in their wheel but really I don't see it as a priority for this Dáil. Tackle the important things like Health, Housing and Social Protection and when you've solved them, come back and talk to us about Border Polls.
    With SF both sides of the border and with Brexit, I'd be shocked if it wasn't a priority for them. It might be safer politically to put the question to a citizens assembly of a United Ireland, what it coukd look like and what needs to be done here to be ready. But SF would likely want to grab that one by the horns and not subcontract it.

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    With SF both sides of the border and with Brexit, I'd be shocked if it wasn't a priority for them. It might be safer politically to put the question to a citizens assembly of a United Ireland, what it coukd look like and what needs to be done here to be ready. But SF would likely want to grab that one by the horns and not subcontract it.

I doubt very much that if they had run on that ticket they would be seeing the results we're seeing today. They've made it very clear why they were given the mandate they were, it's up to them now to deliver on that and not be distracted by less relevant things. That is what happened to Labour in 2016 and is still resounding through Labour today.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

What is it with Verona and Ivan Yates, she was on his radio show again this afternoon, between radio and TV she's on with him on a regular basis.

Advertisement