Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac Mini

• 15-01-2020 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭

Hi

Was thinking of selling my 2017 21 inch iMac and getting a mac mini ( i already have monitor)

is the new one any good ?

Was thinking of an older Mini - not new.

Any thoughts on which older model?

thanks

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple barely ever update Mini, so older models tend to be even worse value. I wouldn't recommend anything older than the 2014 model (which was the last update before the current model) and only if you got it for a very good price. If it was me I'd just get the latest one (from 2018), though I think your mad to sell the iMac for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Apple barely ever update Mini, so older models tend to be even worse value. I wouldn't recommend anything older than the 2014 model (which was the last update before the current model) and only if you got it for a very good price. If it was me I'd just get the latest one (from 2018), though I think your mad to sell the iMac for it.

Thanks for the advice, good points.

My iMac is very slow, I reckon it needs more ram.

It’s €250 for the upgrade. But probably better doing this than getting the Mac mini

DT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How much RAM does it currently have? 8GB? Unless you are doing really heavy work, I doubt that's the problem. If it's recently gone slow it's probably the hard drive dying. Either that or a rogue background process.

How much RAM does it currently have? 8GB? Unless you are doing really heavy work, I doubt that's the problem. If it's recently gone slow it's probably the hard drive dying. Either that or a rogue background process.

Yeah it has 8gb. Getting the beach ball a lot. Bit thought that was caused by the ram

Mactivate do 1TB SSD for €379

Is this better than ram upgrade?

What’s the best way to check rogue process?

Thanks

Yeah it has 8gb. Getting the beach ball a lot. Bit thought that was caused by the ram

Mactivate do 1TB SSD for €379

Is this better than ram upgrade?

What’s the best way to check rogue process?

Thanks

You can check for rogue progresses in Activity Monitor. Click on the CPU tab.

I wouldn't generally attribute the spinning beachball to lack of RAM. If it's happening a lot, especially at startup, I'd be concerned the HDD is failing. Verify your drive in Disk Utility and check the SMART status, though it could check out and still be failing. Listen for noises. I'd recommend backing up any important files immediately just in case and then do a full backup if you don't have one already.

Upgrading from HDD to SSD is the best thing you can do for your Mac's performance. You'll never want to go back to a HDD.

• Advertisement

You can check for rogue progresses in Activity Monitor. Click on the CPU tab.

I wouldn't generally attribute the spinning beachball to lack of RAM. If it's happening a lot, especially at startup, I'd be concerned the HDD is failing. Verify your drive in Disk Utility and check the SMART status, though it could check out and still be failing. Listen for noises. I'd recommend backing up any important files immediately just in case and then do a full backup if you don't have one already.

Upgrading from HDD to SSD is the best thing you can do for your Mac's performance. You'll never want to go back to a HDD.

I was doing disk utility and even moving the scroll bars caused beach ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

The 21.5 is non user upgradeable for either ram or hdd. but if you are doing them, you had better do both. not sure about the hdd whether any can be fitted as they did have custom firmware on the disks and needed a kit to add a temp sensor cable. that was deffo for the 27" not sure about 21.5, imo 21.5 will always be better than a mac mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Trying booting from an external SSD connected by USB 3 or preferably thunderbolt. See how it performs and whether it is worth replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Trying booting from an external SSD connected by USB 3 or preferably thunderbolt. See how it performs and whether it is worth replacing.

if doing that ensure you don't mount the damaged drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

When that happened to me it was a faulty logic board, which I know can be a number of things but the whole thing had to be replaced.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice.. will mull it over

Etre report says HDD is fine , but couple of months again said it was failing..

Thanks for all the advice.. will mull it over

Etre report says HDD is fine , but couple of months again said it was failing..

Back up immediately if you haven't already. Important files first as it may not survive a full backup.

Back up immediately if you haven't already. Important files first as it may not survive a full backup.

Done.. am going to chat with Mactivate.

Advertisement