Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best .17HMR ammo for foxes?

• 15-01-2020 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Has anyone used the Hornady .17HMR XTP 20Gr on foxes? Would it be a better bullet than the 17 Grain ballistic tip?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I used them in my Savage rifle, as they only worked well in it, and they were as effective as the 17gr polymer tipped ones in my CZ. The thing i found about the hmr is shot placement is more important than the bullet.

The bullets are small, don't carry much energy so anything bar a good head shot left me with runners. That includes heart shots. They ran with anything other than a head shot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bosco22

Yeah I was just curious cause I had a runner last night with the 17 grain vmax. After I fired I thought I knocked him dead but as I walked over he was heading for the hills so I must of hit him low.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I ended up getting rid of my hmr, but i'm not advocating you do the same. For rabbits and other small vermin/game they were grand, but for Foxes i found myself spending hours tracking runners. To compensate i kept my shots to under 100 yards and head shots only.

I preferred the 17gr tipped rounds due to better expansion, or at least i believed so as i've no data to show they are better or worse than the 20gr XTP.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi I’m using the 17 grain hornady in my cz I shot over 140 foxes in 2 months last season I still regard them as good as any of he rest I have tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

steyrman wrote: »
    Hi I’m using the 17 grain hornady in my cz I shot over 140 foxes in 2 months last season I still regard them as good as any of he rest I have tried

That's a lot of foxes, you must be covering an awful lot of square miles.

Fair play, that is dedication.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Jesus some shooting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

At what kind of distance are you shooting them mostly at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Cass wrote: »
    I ended up getting rid of my hmr, but i'm not advocating you do the same. For rabbits and other small vermin/game they were grand, but for Foxes i found myself spending hours tracking runners. To compensate i kept my shots to under 100 yards and head shots only.

Would the .22 wmr be better than the .17 at same ranges?

Would the .22 wmr be better than the .17 at same ranges?

The .22 wmr would hit harder but wouldn’t travel as fast from what I’ve read. Never owned one so can’t say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Blaser1982

Bosco22 wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Hornady .17HMR XTP 20Gr on foxes? Would it be a better bullet than the 17 Grain ballistic tip?

The 20g hollow point by hornady are excellent for use on foxes but group differently in rifles. Grouped excellent in my cz455 but not as good in the new t1x.

• Advertisement

Blaser1982 wrote: »
    The 20g hollow point by hornady are excellent for use on foxes but group differently in rifles. Grouped excellent in my cz455 but not as good in the new t1x.

What kind of range do they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

What kind of range do they have.

Mate shot a fox stone dead last Friday at 128m (Headshot)

Vizzy wrote: »
    Mate shot a fox stone dead last Friday at 128m (Headshot)

That wouldn't be very hard. What kind of killing power would they have for a behind the shoulder shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

I found the 17 grain TNT CCI hollow points lethal on foxes. I thought it had more knockdown power than the 17 grain ballistic tips. Its a pity that I cant get them anymore.It was also the most accurate in my CZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

That wouldn't be very hard. What kind of killing power would they have for a behind the shoulder shot.

About the same, or a bit further I would think.

Bosco22 wrote: »
    The .22 wmr would hit harder but wouldn’t travel as fast from what I’ve read. Never owned one so can’t say really.

Yeah a .50 would hit harder than a .308 but not travel as fast.

So which one at a hundred or so meters would be best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Simples, get a 223/22/250 / 243. All good fox calibers.

Sika98k wrote: »
    Simples, get a 223/22/250 / 243. All good fox calibers.

I dont know how far a .17 or a .22wmr will kill at. But I have seen vids where a .22lr will kill at a longer range than you can shoot it accurately.

So really the smaller calibers of .17, .22wmr are ok at up to 100 - 150 yards with placement and cost pennies.

The argument about which is best at that range I still have trouble understanding because as I said earlier that a .50 is a slow heavier bullet than others.

The other calibers are ok if you have nothing around you I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭DogfoxCork

just get a .223 and save all that wondering of, Will it be enough to drop it humanely? Unless you have a perfect opportunity for a headshot you're just guessing if it will do the job. if you have to ask the question then you probably already know the answer. have shot a few fox with my hmr in the head sub 100 and they've dropped on the spot, ive shot a few heart/lung and they've run off, no doubt to die in the next field or parish. which is why i don't have the hmr for fox.

Advertisement