Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud Attempt via SMS

Options
  • 15-01-2020 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello,

Within the past week, I've received two SMS messages claiming to be BOI and advising that access to 365 online has been suspended and to visit a URL to restore access.

The two URL's provided in the SMS were :

www.365boiunlock.com

www.365onlinenewaccount.com

Very concerned that some random third party knows that my mobile number is associated with a BOI365 account.  Was there a data leak of some kind ?

I hope that BOI take the necessary action here and get the domains taken down and report these fraud attempts to the Garda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

irishj wrote: »
    Hello,

Within the past week, I've received two SMS messages claiming to be BOI and advising that access to 365 online has been suspended and to visit a URL to restore access.

The two URL's provided in the SMS were :

www.365boiunlock.com

www.365onlinenewaccount.com

Very concerned that some random third party knows that my mobile number is associated with a BOI365 account.  Was there a data leak of some kind ?

I hope that BOI take the necessary action here and get the domains taken down and report these fraud attempts to the Garda.

Pretty sure they’re just randomly generated phone numbers by some computer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Wouldn't be concerned about a data breach I've had the same ones and I've never had any dealings with BOI in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Irishj,

Thanks for the post here today on Boards.ie.

The two texts you have received are indeed fraudulent text messages. We have had several reports of both Bank of Ireland and non-Bank of Ireland customers receiving these texts and this has been managed by our security team.

If you are ever unsure of the legitimacy of a text or email, or colleagues at 365security@boi.com will be happy to look into them if your forward them a screenshot.

Just to mention Bank of Ireland will never contact you in this manner, asking for any of your online or account details.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishj

Thanks - I'll ignore them as I have been doing.  Just wanted to share the info with BOI.

Advertisement