Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying off an AIB Personal Loan early - Bad for credit score?

• 15-01-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have a personal loan with AIB with a variable rate. I’ve been told that I can make manual repayments in addition to my monthly repayment if I wish without a penalty fee. Also, if I pay it off the loan early, I would only pay interest for the time while I was actually making repayments and not the total loan. So if I pay off a 4 year loan in 2 years, I would only pay 2 years worth of interest.

Would this be considered a positive thing that I am making early repayments? Or could it be bad for future credit and negatively affect my credit score?

I’m mainly doing it because if I can pay it off early I would then avoid paying the interest for the remaining time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Would this be considered a positive thing that I am making early repayments? Or could it be bad for future credit and negatively affect my credit score?

Your credit history will show that you had a loan and paid it off. Which is a positive mark on your record.

The banks would always prefer if you went the distance and paid them lots of interest but they're not going to give you a negative credit score for paying the loan off early.

Advertisement