Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utopia (Amazon Prime)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

NATLOR wrote: »
    Its Irish region set

Huh, ok. The mystery deepens then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

ixoy wrote: »
    I have an Irish account and can't get it.

Are you signed directly up to Primevideo (as I am) or are you an Amazon Prime member (I'm not)?

This right here is the issue I think. I cant get it on PrimeVideo website or app, but can get it on the amazon website no problem. (Prime sub)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

My TV can find the missing series, but my android app & desktop cannot .
    I noticed that my Accounts & Lists > Your Content and Devices > Preferences settings are not on my amazon.co.uk but are on my amazon.com account

My region there is set to Ireland

I think my issue is a confusion of accounts , it just the way it happened, I didnt design this account mixup for any strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see Donald Trump is now retweeting that Utopia is banned in Ireland and Alex Jones was making a huge deal about it on the Joe Rogan Podcast yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Sounds like great publicity for Amazon- especially after a lot of reviewers found the remake inferior to the Channel 4 original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Jeff, if you're reading this, pull the program son. The crafty f"uckers told you they were living in Basingstoke instead of Ballinasloe last Christmas so they could watch the pool play Leicester and they discovered the loophole. The horse has bolted lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I see Donald Trump is now retweeting that Utopia is banned in Ireland and Alex Jones was making a huge deal about it on the Joe Rogan Podcast yesterday.

Well done Amazon! Your poor quality Irish subset of your U.K. service has now caused an international conspiracy theory about vaccines, being pushed by the US president.

2020 ... sighs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jim Corr's tweeting about it now. Mother of God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

MrStuffins wrote: »

The OP is Jim Corr, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I use Just watch to track streaming updates.

https://www.justwatch.com/ie/tv-series/utopia-2020/season-1

Nothing shown for Ireland on just watch, or on the more Irish centric Primevideo.com but on amazon proper it has it and can be used without VPN.

I'm an amazon prime member rather than a prime video member.

• Advertisement

Seems it’s not working anyway. An older relative of mine in her 80s is wondering if she can get multiple vaccines simultaneously, just to be sure she gets maximum immune protection.

That being said, she’s not on Twitter much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Thread title change is probably needed. What a bizarre thread, quick google of the reviews and its probably best off being banned anyway

Seems the original series is, unsurprisingly, vastly superior. I’m never much of a fan of US re-spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

They're even coming from Gdansk to see the film.

Is it possible it’s a rather odd PR stunt?

Pick a small anglophone country, with very loud voice on social media, and one that has a bygone era history of censorship so it would be vaguely believable, especially in the U.K.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's even at conspiracy levels to think it's a PR stunt

Ok so I just watched a video on YouTube saying that it was originally available here and then it disappeared, because someone was in the middle of the season when they discovered they couldn't watch it anymore. Is it possible that Amazon is just a bit...****? A few months ago I was watching a show that had four seasons, and right after I finished the third season it completely disappeared off Prime. A week later it was back again. Prime Video has never really been user friendly, and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if the people who run it are just in a bit of a shambles and they accidentally get rid of and then re-add shows.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Jafin wrote: »
    Ok so I just watched a video on YouTube saying that it was originally available here and then it disappeared, because someone was in the middle of the season when they discovered they couldn't watch it anymore. Is it possible that Amazon is just a bit...****? A few months ago I was watching a show that had four seasons, and right after I finished the third season it completely disappeared off Prime. A week later it was back again. Prime Video has never really been user friendly, and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if the people who run it are just in a bit of a shambles and they accidentally get rid of and then re-add shows.
    Given the hoops I had to jump through to get Prime Video working on my Fire Stick, which Amazon had sold me and then decided shouldn't work as intended in Ireland, absolutely!

Quackster wrote: »
    Given the hoops I had to jump through to get Prime Video working on my Fire Stick, which Amazon had sold me and then decided shouldn't work as intended in Ireland, absolutely!

We’re only good enough for tax avoidance. That’s what it comes down to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

A lot of shows on Prime show up as 'not available in your region' for me on the main website [PC] - I have discovered that using the prime app through the windows store solves this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jafin wrote: »

Don't watch it on Prime then. Watch it elsewhere and on a more useable site too. If Amazon can not design a user friendly site and interface then it's there loss not your's

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

OP have you tried your local cinema to see if it’s being shown there?

When they banned The Passion Of Saint Tibulus it still got shown in my local cinema and there was even two dopey priests protesting outside beforehand.

Oh what a laugh we all had.

Careful now.

Down with this sort of thing.

AMKC wrote: »
    Don't watch it on Prime then. Watch it elsewhere and on a more useable site too. If Amazon can not design a user friendly site and interface then it's there loss not your's

I mean I'm not saying it's unuseable. I'm paying for Prime on Amazon anyway so I may as well use it. Prime has a lot of stuff Netflix doesn't and vice versa. Netflix is just far more user friendly for finding stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭tusk

has anyone watched it?

Is it any good?

The old one was great.

tusk wrote: »
    has anyone watched it?

Is it any good?

The old one was great.

I watched the new one first and then the original after. The new one is enjoyable but the original is definitely better. There are some huge divergences in the plot and how the season plays out. For example (very slight spoiler ahead)
    in the new one Utopia is an unpublished sequel to a graphic novel called Dystopia, and Jessica Hyde was a character in the Dystopia graphic novel, whereas in the original she was not part of the Utopia graphic novel at all.

I'd definitely say give it a watch, but do so with the expectation that you're going into a show that is similar in name and the very basics of the plot only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

That's useful. Better off/more relevant, in the Utopia [Amazon Prime] thread though:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058045786

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Added to Prime today haha after all the whingin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Added to Prime today haha after all the whingin.
    Leading me to believe it was just stupidity on Amazon's side that it wasn't there in the first place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

ixoy wrote: »
    Leading me to believe it was just stupidity on Amazon's side that it wasn't there in the first place...

You mean it ISN'T some big conspiracy? Who'd have thought.

OP's been very quiet since Utopia mysteriously appeared on Prime.

Nothing to say here OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

magentur wrote: »
    Semantics. Let me rephrase. Who decided that this show was not to be available in Ireland?

The voices in your head

They just forgot Ireland existed for a few days, a common issue with Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magentur

OP's been very quiet since Utopia mysteriously appeared on Prime.

Nothing to say here OP?

Thanks Jim :)

magentur wrote: »
    Thanks Jim :)

So what's your reaction now? You claimed it to be banned, but it's quite clearly available.

Surely you can now admit that at best you jumped the gun and were wrong, or you were talking rubbish and were wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

The series wasn’t available for me all the time but it’s up now on the app, apparently it was on PC all the time but not just the apps. This isn’t the first series/movie on Prime this has happened with either.

Mods - what's the story with the merging of the threads? Ok, there may be a very tenuous link with the name and a conspiracy, but otherwise it's one thread about content, and the other about technical issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

tusk wrote: »
    has anyone watched it?

Is it any good?

The old one was great.

I watched it,its ok .
    Its not a patch on the original but I never expected it to be.

Lots of spoilers here, with Gillian Flynn talking about comparisons to the C4 original, and about season 2.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2020-09-25/utopia-ending-explained-season-1-amazon/

Also, "stamp of approval" from Stephen King:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/utopia-amazon-stephen-king-approval/

Advertisement