Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Russian Government Just Resigned

Options
2»

Comments

mikhail wrote: »
    Tosh. China recently celebrated it's 70th anniversary as a nation. The communists officially declared a state in 1949, after years of civil war and Japanese occupation in the wake of the last imperial dynasty folding in 1911 or so. Ireland's coming up on a centenary and has enormous continuity with the British system of law and governance that preceded it. Corruption thrives in dictatorships. It's very little to do with the age of the system.

I know.. I was here for the anniversary. Still am, right now. Back in Ireland in four days time.

Corruption was rampant within the Nationalist government in China prior to it's fall. Same with the last few Imperial Dynasties.

And I'd say that it has a lot to do with the age of the system, and the culture that springs from it. But, yup, you're right... it obviously isn't completely to do with the age of the system, otherwise Irish or US politics would be free of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Cordell

To be fair, most successful countries foundations were built on something other than democracies... and we're talking about what's happening now, and what's next... many successful democracies are starting to fail politically, economically and socially.
    For me the modern world foundations were built during the industrial revolution in a (mostly) democratic Europe. Flawed and early, but still.
    But I'm not arguing against democracy... I'm arguing for the ability to consider something different rather than such discussions being shot down immediately.
    What if we try it and we don't like it, how do we turn back? Democratically?

Cordell wrote: »
    What if we try it and we don't like it, how do we turn back? Democratically?

There are many types of dictatorships that have been used throughout history, some with decent success. They're not all absolute rulers without controls in place. Sure, in the long run, they failed, but then democracy is still a relatively new government type in it's application, and is also facing stresses.

The point being that you dismissed any suggestion of a dictatorship being a positive, in favor of your own opinion of the value of democracy.

"How many times need time to tell that a dictatorship is way worse than any democracy, as flawed as it may be?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Cordell

>>Sure, in the long run, they failed
    My point exactly.

Didn't we have this conversation before?

Cordell wrote: »
    >>Sure, in the long run, they failed
    My point exactly.

Didn't we have this conversation before?

Nope. Never discussed this topic on boards before. Not that I remember anyway. In any case, I've no intention of continuing it.

Not that I agree with you. :D

I just can't be bothered to invest the time right now for something that would require a long discussion and a crap-ton of research/references.

• Advertisement
Advertisement