Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2020 Sligo/Leitrim

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2020/02/08/exclusive-martin-kenny-of-sinn-fein-set-to-be-a-clear-poll-topper-in-sligo-leitrim/

Sinn Fein’s, Martin Kenny, is set to be the big winner in the Sligo-Leitrim constituency, according to an exclusive exit poll published this evening.

The IT Sligo-Ocean FM Exit Poll gives Kenny a first preference vote of 21.1%, way ahead of the second placed candidate, Fianna Fail’s Marc MacSharry, on 13.7%.

Eamon Scanlon of Fianna Fail is on 11.8%, and former TD and MEP, Marian Harkin, is on 11.2%.

The poll shows that Fine Gael will be battling hard to retain even one seat in the constituency, with party candidates Frank Feighan and Thomas Walsh on 10.5% and 6.4% support respectively.

Former Fine Gael Minister, John Perry, who is standing as an Independent candidate, is on just 2%.

The survey involved a sample of 978 voters across every part of the vast constituency, which also includes South Donegal and North Roscommon, It was carried out throughout the day by students and staff of IT Sligo.

The margin of error is +/- 3.13%

It's being discussed on Ocean now.

THey're saying Kenny will get in on first count.

Ocean-fm-bg-graphic-1st-pref.webp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Delighted Harkin did so poorly. If those numbers hold up she will struggle to get a seat as I'm not sure where her transfers will come from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Not so happy about Kenny to be honest I don't understand the swing towards SF - perhaps it's an age thing. Looks like we may be returning two FF's I would say that's against the run of the country, I don't understand that either - as usual the ind I voted for doesn't even feature in the exit poll and I thought this could be their year. Oh well, I reckon we'll all be voting again within the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Necro wrote: »
    Delighted Harkin did so poorly. If those numbers hold up she will struggle to get a seat as I'm not sure where her transfers will come from
    She’s still in line to possibly take a seat. She will be very transfer friendly.

People can’t be surprised with Sinn Fein here. There has always been a strong enough SF vote. Plus Leitrim were always going to get behind one of there own.

Pretzill wrote: »
    Not so happy about Kenny to be honest I don't understand the swing towards SF - perhaps it's an age thing. Looks like we may be returning two FF's I would say that's against the run of the country, I don't understand that either - as usual the ind I voted for doesn't even feature in the exit poll and I thought this could be their year. Oh well, I reckon we'll all be voting again within the year.

I think... if the numbers hold up from that poll we'll be as you were beforehand with

2 FF
    1 FG
    1 SF

Dunno where Harkin gets transfers from to get her over the line before one of the FG candidates (Feighan) catches her

Tbh Pretzill the field was too dense with Independents, 6 and Bree who is essentially an Ind was always gonna split that vote massively and it seems SF picked up a huge anti government vote too

shanec1928 wrote: »
    She’s still in line to take a seat. She will be very transfer friendly.

People can’t be surprised with Sinn Fein here. There has always been a strong enough SF vote. Plus Leitrim were always going to get behind one of there own.

I disagree with that completely, Independents are by nature a larger personal vote.

Not surprised about the SF vote at all, more disappointed tbh

I knew Kenny would get in - but countrywide it's looking like a big vote for SF I don't understand that, is what I meant. And yep it looks like SF, 2 FF and Harkin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Not sure why people are disappointed with Kenny. He was a major voice in speaking out regarding the situation in An Garda Siochana and also spoke out against the anti immigration stance in Leitrim. Which did result on attacks on his home.

Rightly or wrongly he argued his stance in light of intimidation.

Maybe I'm missing something other than the party he's a member of?

• Advertisement

It's all about the party he's from and that there are people voting for them now who seem completely ignorant of our past.

But I'm not surprised in fairness from a Leitrim perspective who else did they have to vote for - a few religious led pro lifers? Or FG.

Leitrim had Ellis from FF too who seems to have been soundly kicked to the curb. Will never understand their 3 candidate strategy here, when they gave Scanlon Leitrim in 2007 he topped the poll but since then they keep trying to run a Leitrim candidate who gets broadly rejected.

It's all about the party he's from and that there are people voting for them now who seem completely ignorant of our past.

But I'm not surprised in fairness from a Leitrim perspective who else did they have to vote for - a few religious led pro lifers? Or FG.

Don't read up on the history if FG then... Or FF for that matter.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Don't read up on the history if FG then... Or FF for that matter.

I don't have to. What a strange comment. I have been voting for 30 years I have never voted for either.

I don't have to. What a strange comment. I have been voting for 30 years I have never voted for either.

I just mean the history argument is quite acceptable for SF but never mention for either of the other two, which I find kind of hypocritical. Vote or don't vote on policies.

Not aimed at you, just the comment you made.

I see Independent James Conway has revealed his true colours on Facebook already.

Embarrassment of a candidate.

Now deleted. I guess he realised insulting the electorate wasn't the best thing to do if wanting to have half a chance of any votes in the future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What did he say?

I heard Eileen mMagnier on the news earlier saying that somewhere in Leitrim had a turnout of 73%. There must have been a huge motivation of voters down there. Huge SF vote in S Donegal too. That and the normal SF in the rest of the constituency vote went a long way.

I thought Walsh would have done better. He was first out of the traps with posters from Sligo to Bundoran at midnight of the announcement. He was out around Grange, Cliffoney, Mullaghmore and Tullaghan several evenings. THere were mini blue jacketed groups going round town yesterday morning handing out leaflets.

Perry's canvassing team was a young lad in a hoodie going around dropping in leaflets at lunchtime. Only for I was back from the dentist's I'd have called him back to discuss the issues of the day.

Marian Harkin was clever enough to get on TV at least twice a few days before the election.

What has she ever done for the NW that was noteworthy?

Anyway. Looking forward to all the coverage tomorrow and May the best man 'OR WOMAN' (c) Joe Duffy , win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I knew Kenny would get in - but countrywide it's looking like a big vote for SF I don't understand that, is what I meant. And yep it looks like SF, 2 FF and Harkin?

Health.
    Housing.
    Insurance
    Childcare
    Black & Tans

There's a few reasons to start with.

• Advertisement

What did he say?

Will post it tomorrow but the gist of it is that anyone not voting for him is in fact a moron. Full of ironic typos as well.

Amazing that someone who wanted such revolution isn't prepared to accept a democratic result (and not a single vote counted yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Will post it tomorrow but the gist of it is that anyone not voting for him is in fact a moron. Full of ironic typos as well.

Amazing that someone who wanted such revolution isn't prepared to accept a democratic result (and not a single vote counted yet)
    Sounds like a great politician:D

Didn't one of the FG lads do something similar after the council elections?

Not a sign of him since.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Seen it already. A friend sent it on to me. Yeah, complete clown and the ironic misspellings are hilarious. If you're going to call someone an imbecile you best spell it correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Seen it already. A friend sent it on to me. Yeah, complete clown and the ironic misspellings are hilarious. If you're going to call someone an imbecile you best spell it correctly.

Can you post it here?

He sounds like a massive count ! Lol

sligojoek wrote: »
    Didn't one of the FG lads do something similar after the council elections?

Not a sign of him since.

In fairness at least when he did it he got a flood of comments from people telling him it was out of order and he should rise above it. The only ironic thing was he was FG and he was giving out about people not wanting change by not voting him in.

Conways comment section of an echo chamber of same views, until he was called out on it, it didn't stay up for very long when that happened.

Love to know what he said!

I'm not sure are we allowed to post it here, will PM one of the forum mods first I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I'm not sure are we allowed to post it here, will PM one of the forum mods first I think

PM it to me if you can. Have been following his campaign the whole time. Would love to see how it ended!

Advertisement