Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admissions in NUIG

Options
  • 16-01-2020 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭

Please see an email I sent to NUIG below regarding recognition of Irish gcse for students applying to university from the north. Can anyone verify or advise me?

Hi folks.

I’m an Irish language teacher in the North and my students came to me today with a question about your admissions. They have been advised that there are courses in NUIG that accept GCSE Spanish or French but not Irish. The reason they have been told is that Irish is not a foreign language.

I can’t imagine this to be the case but I told them I’d get word from yourselves. So can you please advise me of any course that doesn’t recognise gcse Irish but does recognise gcse Spanish/french please?

Le gach beannacht,
    Stiofán

Sent from my iPhone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Why would Irish count as a foreign language, especially in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭squinn2912

RealJohn wrote: »
    Why would Irish count as a foreign language, especially in Galway?

Anywhere in Ireland it shouldn’t and I think doesn’t count as a foreign language. My question is more asking if Galway specifically asks for a foreign language or not. It turns out not, thankfully. The university admissions staff got back to my email and other languages hold no more sway than our native tongue. Go raibh maith agat as an fhreagra

Advertisement