Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland doesn't make the top 80 best countries list...

Options
  • 16-01-2020 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭

The 2020 Best Countries report and
    rankings are based on how global
    perceptions define countries in terms of
    a number of qualitative characteristics,
    impressions that have the potential to
    drive trade, travel and investment and
    directly affect national economies.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-rankings

Maybe Leo should tweak the election slogan "a future to look forward to" if you emigrate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Maybe Leo should tweak the election slogan "a future to look forward to" if you emigrate.

I think you can disregard any list that puts the UK at #6.

It has 6 of the poorest regions in Europe.

On the page, I see 73 counties listed. And at the bottom, it says

"The rankings evaluate 73 countries across 24 rankings drawn from a survey of more than 20,000 global citizens, measuring 75 dimensions that have the potential to drive trade, travel and investment and directly affect national economies."

Forgive me for lacking concern about a survey conducted where Ireland wasn't even an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

We ranked 21st in 2019 for comparassion sake.

Ireland isn't included in the ratings of said survey in 2020 because it didn't meet one of the following criteria.

• Top 100 countries in terms of gross domestic product in 2017, based on World Bank data
    • Top 100 countries in terms of foreign direct investment inflows in 2017, based on World Bank data
    • Top 100 countries in terms of international tourism receipts in 2017, based on World Bank data
    • Top 150 countries in the U.N.’s Human Development Index, based on the 2017 report

https://media.beam.usnews.com/8e/b0/c99b324c4a0a8c1f6dd7c76d903c/200108-best-countries-overall-rankings-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ukraine is laughing at us

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

johnmcdnl wrote: »

Ireland isn't included in the ratings of said survey in 2020 because it didn't meet one of the following criteria.

• Top 100 countries in terms of gross domestic product in 2017, based on World Bank data
    • Top 100 countries in terms of foreign direct investment inflows in 2017, based on World Bank data
    • Top 100 countries in terms of international tourism receipts in 2017, based on World Bank data
    • Top 150 countries in the U.N.’s Human Development Index, based on the 2017 report

I struggle to believe we're not in all of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What holding us back the ranking of another third parties ranking of a competition and scoring system that they devised?

johnmcdnl wrote: »

You mean we met none, or we only met three out of four? Wiki tells me Ireland was 31st in GDP in 2018 so I guess it's the latter. Which one did we not hit?

Have to laugh at Vietnam getting #43 in a list Ireland doesn't even arbitrarily quality for. But even so, it's a survey. Stats show Ireland to be one of the best countries in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    You mean we met none, or we only met three out of four? Wiki tells me Ireland was 31st in GDP in 2018 so I guess it's the latter. Which one did we not hit?

Have to laugh at Vietnam getting #43 in a list Ireland doesn't even arbitrarily quality for. But even so, it's a survey. Stats show Ireland to be one of the best countries in the world.

It's too late at night and I'm probably missing something obvious -- but I've cross checked and I can't see which one we don't meet :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hibble

What holding us back the ranking of another third parties ranking of a competition and scoring system that they devised?

Like the Eastern block at the Eurovision??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »

I'd struggle to believe we're not in the top 20 of all of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

U.S.NEWS.

The 73 countries in the 2020 Best Countries rankings had to meet four criteria within the most recent year for which data are available specific to each benchmark to be included in the study:

*Top 100 countries in terms of gross domestic product in 2017, based on World Bank data
    *Top 100 countries in terms of foreign direct investment inflows in 2017, based on World Bank data.
    *Top 100 countries in terms of international tourism receipts in 2017, based on World Bank data
    *Top 150 countries in the U.N.'s Human Development Index, based on the 2017 report.

Those that did not reach all four of these benchmarks and those that did not report these statistics were not included. Reflective of global trends captured in the most recently available benchmark data, 10 countries that were ranked last year failed to meet all four benchmarks this year and have therefore dropped out of the rankings: Angola, Belgium*, Hungary*, Iran*, Iraq, Ireland*, Nigeria*, Pakistan*, Tanzania and Uruguay*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Who the hell are US News? I wouldn't be losing sleep if we're not in they're rankings.

Website looks cheap as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm devestated, we really should try make Ireland great again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think ireland was found to be in the top 5 of countrys to live in,
    in term,s of quality of life.i think this takes various factors in to account,
    acess to healthcare, crime levels, average wage etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

[

*Top 100 countries in terms of gross domestic product in 2017, based on World Bank data
    *Top 100 countries in terms of foreign direct investment inflows in 2017, based on World Bank data.
    *Top 100 countries in terms of international tourism receipts in 2017, based on World Bank data
    *Top 150 countries in the U.N.'s Human Development Index, based on the 2017 report.

Ireland is ranked

3rd in the UN Human Development Index in 2017
    31st in the International tourism receipts 2017
    7th in the FDI inflows 2017

32nd in the 2018 GDP list
    while this is an increase over 2017, the 2017 figure would place them 37th on the current list

it is really hard to understand how we would seem to not make any of these lists

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

So India is a better place to live than Ireland hahaha. Between the smell of human **** and open sewage in the streets of Delhi, it's literally the worst place I've ever been and I've been all over the globe

Advertisement