Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies greatest song of the 90s - Live Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Some, all, or none of the bands featured here will be in the aforementioned Album Covers PEEHS quiz

Open for entries now, come and show off your musical knowledge :)
    Lassy,

Did you have a nosey at the album covers competition?

Just taking a look there now.

I listen to a huge amount of music but not sure I know album covers very well. I'll definitely give it a go though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

have 2 songs and 3 groups left in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I've 3 tracks left. I think Dreams is my most disappointing loss, well the most disappointing recent loss anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Green&Red wrote: »
    No Oasis in a vote for the best song of the 90s? That is outrageous

I'm not an oasis fan, but I'd agree that that is outrageous.

I guess it proves the age old debate

Blur > Oasis ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Looks like Oasis are the A-Ha of the 90's. Neither likely to win a greatest song of the decade but both left the competition much earlier than they should've.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I think its a decent enough line-up, but then again, I liked most of these bands as a teenager in the 90s.

If I was to be super critical, two Cranberries tunes is probably OTT, particularly since Dreams is better than both. Come as Your Are is cr@p by Nirvana's standards, and Tonight Tonight would not make it into my top 10 favourite Pumpkins songs, and they're still one of my favourite bands of all time

The rest are all really good picks

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

khalessi wrote: »
    Well the 90s were the era of grunge and indie going massive

And dance, rap and R&B which are all massively unrepresented. Pity - admittedly I did not like grunge or indie music at all. I missed most of the votes due to work and all my nominations are gone, although I was pleasantly surprised that my nomination Chris Isaak lasted so long, particularly as another pick, Happy Mondays fell much earlier on.

And dance, rap and R&B which are all massively unrepresented. Pity - admittedly I did not like grunge or indie music at all. I missed most of the votes due to work and all my nominations are gone, although I was pleasantly surprised that my nomination Chris Isaak lasted so long, particularly as another pick, Happy Mondays fell much earlier on.

I was surprised by this myself. I must admit I really dislike rap and R&B and it would be the very odd dance tune I'd like. Must be a lot of grunge/indie fans on boards!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

lassykk wrote: »
    I was surprised by this myself. I must admit I really dislike rap and R&B and it would be the very odd dance tune I'd like. Must be a lot of grunge/indie fans on boards!

I'd be pretty much the same, not a fan of rap or R&B, and only like the odd dance track. But despite being very much an alt/indie fan, oddly enough the only artist left of whom I've bought anything they released is Fatboy Slim. Not really a fan of anyone who's left tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Necro wrote: »
    Ah well. It's an ok line up but the dismissal of pop tunes for some of the indie songs is a bit ridiculous

Can we rename this the *hipster* 90s best song contest

;)

Hardly hipster. All of the remaining songs were top 20 hits. There's nothing obscure there. Grunge and rock were huge in the 90s.

Just had a look at the 50 best selling singles of the 90s https://www.nme.com/photos/50-best-selling-tracks-of-the-90s-1437045
    And only two of the remaining 16 are on it. And there's plenty on it that weren't in the first round either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Going to stick with the same voting system as the last contest.

Round 4

Please give a reason with your vote or it will not be counted.
    First song to 10 votes or winning song after 1 hour. In event of a tie, song with least conceeded votes from R1 goes through. Still tied, I will cast deciding vote.

R4/Match 1

Coolio - Gangster's Paradise

vs       

Fatboy Slim - Praise You

R4/Match 2

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

vs       

The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

R4/Match 1
    Fatboy Slim - Praise You

Picked this as it always makes me smile and still sounds good after all these years

R4/Match 2

Epitomises the 90s. It is a fantastic song and band and I loved moshing to it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Coolio - One of the catalysts (along with 2Pac who should also be in this round) for launching rap into the mainstream.

And Smells Like Teen Spirit. As good as Bitter Sweet Symphony is, Teen Spirit is better. Symphony is more well known imo for the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Fatboy Slim - Praise You - don't really think either of these songs should have made it this far. Despite enjoying both, I think they're two of the weaker songs left in the competition, but Praise You to me is probably the more iconic of the two so I'll throw it a vote.

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - one of my nominations and in my opinion one of the defining songs and bands of the '90s. Potential winner of the whole competition I thin.

R4/Match 1
    Fatboy Slim - Praise You
    Great tune, timeless

R4/Match 2
    Soundtrack to my teens, love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My vote ::The verve -

very relevant to me in my formative years. More so than this nirvana song. Prefer other nirvana songs to this one

My vote:: coolio

Just one of those songs you instantly think of as 90's classic. Much more so than praise you and it's admittedly great video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

R4/Match 1
    I normally hate rap/hip hop music but actually really like this song.

R4/Match 2
    My last song in this comp and it's just a brilliant anthem that I'll happily listen to any day of the week.

Coolio - Absolutely cracking tune in a genre I'd like very few songs in. Can't say I like any other songs of a similar vain. I also detest the song praise you so that made the choice easy!

Nirvana - Amazingly I didn't like this song when I first got into rock/grunge music but it grew on me over the years. Not a massive nirvana fan but this is a classic

• Advertisement

#1 - Gangstas Paradise
    One of the best rap hits of the '90's, has mass appeal even fir those not big into rap (like me!) and just a better song imo than Praise You, which is quite long and repetitive.

#2 - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Not the best Nirvana song but pretty damn influential and a defining moment in the grunge era. Bitter Sweet Symphony is good, just not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

1. Coolio - He played after racing at Leopardstown last summer and we’d planned to go. Not many acts you’ll go to see just for one song.

2. Tough one but I’ll give Nirvana the nod. Two great songs from two great albums but Smells Like Teen Spirit will lift any party.

Fatboy Slim - Praise You

Brilliant song great video and my nomination

The Verve - Bitter sweet symphony
    Great lyrics, cool tune and I nominated it

Kolido wrote: »
    R4/Match 1

vs       
    Fatboy Slim - Praise You

Coolio, for the opening riff alone

R4/Match 2
    vs       
    The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

Nirvana, a genuinely huge song that helped bring an entire music scene to the mainstream. Versus a Rollings Stones ripoff? No thanks

1. Tough choice but I'll vote for Coolio, still know every word 20+ years on. Great song and really brings me back to that time.

2. The Verve, love the video and the song.

Song was used at the dramatic ending of the movie Cruel Intentions, with Reece Witherspoon's character driving off in the distance.

Kolido wrote:

I love the intro to this song. It also made my long list, but got bumped. It's on of those recognisable intros that transports you.

This one was really hard. Smells like Teen Spirit is a sound of the 90's but not my fave Nirvana song. I think if both were released now I'd prefer the Verve because again I love the intros I'll give that my vote.....my 17 year old self has just disowned me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Versus a Rollings Stones ripoff? No thanks

Except...

The Verve’s best-known song, “Bitter Sweet Symphony,” famously samples an orchestral cover of the Rolling Stones’ 1965 song “The Last Time.” The portion sampled was written by arranger David Whitaker. It is not part of the Stones’ original song. But while the Verve cleared the rights to sample the orchestral recording, they did not get the publishing rights from the Stones

I've been pondering both for ten minutes now and can't decide!

I've been pondering both for ten minutes now and can't decide!

Fatboy Slim and The Verve are my last two entries left in the comp!

Peatys wrote: »
    Fatboy Slim - Praise You

Need reasons to count brah

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Coolio
    The Verve

• Advertisement

Fatboy Slim and The Verve are my last two entries left in the comp!

So should I vote for the others? :p

tenor.gif

Coolio
    The Verve

:D

Need a reason for you choices from this round on guys, anything relavant will do.

Except...

The Verve’s best-known song, “Bitter Sweet Symphony,” famously samples an orchestral cover of the Rolling Stones’ 1965 song “The Last Time.” The portion sampled was written by arranger David Whitaker. It is not part of the Stones’ original song. But while the Verve cleared the rights to sample the orchestral recording, they did not get the publishing rights from the Stones

Potaytos, Potattos ;).

Fair enough, I just never really particularly likes this song. History and The Drugs Don't Work are class though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Sound, I'll leave it so.. no reason other than i like one more then the other :D

Peatys wrote: »
    Sound, I'll leave it so.. no reason other than i like one more then the other :D

That's a reason, imo anyways :)

R4/Match 3

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge

vs       

Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight

R4/Match 4

Soundgarden - Black - Hole Sun

vs       

Nirvana - Come As You Are

R4/Match 3

Love the group, the song, the video.

R4/Match 4

Classic grunge gone mainstream, opened doors for other grunge bands and they were the soundtrack to my teens.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm honestly not gone on that particular Smashing Pumpkins song.

Nirvana - I quite like Soundgarden but I prefer the Nirvana track tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge - I do like the Smashing Pumpkins, but Tonight Tonight isn't a song I'm particularly fond of, whereas Under The Bridge is one of the best Chili Peppers songs.

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun - a very tough call on this one, as I really like both songs, but Black Hole Sun is easily my favourite Soundgarden track, and just beats Nirvana on this occasion.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    R4/Match 3
    vs       

RHCP, as I said earlier in this thread, I don't think Tonight Tonight is even in the top ten of Pumpkins songs, whereas Under the Bridge is a classic

R4/Match 4
    Soundgarden - Black - Hole Sun
    vs       

Black Hole Sun, brilliant song, brilliant video, and one of the best vocalists of all time singing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

3. Under the Bridge - Great song from a band at their peak before the 2000s when all their stuff started to sound the same. Also because it gives me a wry smile that a squeaky clean band like the All Saints would cover a song about heroin addiction.

4. Black Hole Sun - Nevermind is one of the albums of the decade but Come as you Are was one of the weaker tracks but still a decent song in its own right. The Soundgarden track was one I hadn’t heard in years until Chris Cornell died but is now a regular on my playlist. Video creeped me out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Not sure if the first 2 matches have been decided so I vote for all four matches just in case:

Match 1: Coolio (I like both, but Coolio has the extra advantage of being the soundtrack of a great film - and I love Michelle Pfeiffer)
    Match 2: Nirvana (I mean it is one of the defining 90's songs, right?)
    Match 3: Red Hot Chili Peppers (Blood Sugar Sex Magic was such an amazing album!!)
    Match 4: Soundgarden (I like both songs a lot, I just want to give Soundgarden a chance to go a bit further)

Tonight, Tonight - everything about this song is beautiful - the drums, the strings, the hammering crescendo before the gentle final notes.

Come As You Are - one of Nirvana's best songs and has a really cool bass line

Coolio - Gangster's Paradise 10 4 Fatboy Slim - Praise You
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit 10 4 The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

Kolido wrote:

This song was my intro to RHCP, I had such a crush on Anthony Kiedis. I love the melody. It's a classic 90's jam
    Kolido wrote:

One of my preferred Nirvana tracks, I'd almost rather see this through than smells like Teen Spirit

Tonight, Tonight - it's no Disarm but I still love it

Come As You Are - I accept it's not Nirvana at their best but it's still brilliant, that entire album was

Under the Bridge - real fresh sound when it was released, suffered a bit from overplaying to an extent but is more iconic than Tonight.

Abstain on other vote.

Tonight tonight - Extremely hard to choose between tonight tonight and under the bridge. All I can go on is that I can remember clearly the first time I heard tonight tonight and was blown away.

Black hole sun - I know I'm going to lose this but I think Chris cornell was an amazing singer and deserves to place high on this list. When the noughties come around I'll definitely be nominating some audioslave too!

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    Black hole sun - I know I'm going to lose this but I think Chris cornell was an amazing singer and deserves to place high on this list. When the noughties come around I'll definitely be nominating some audioslave too!

Listening to him at the moment on Youtube, there might be a tear or two a great loss loved listening to him sing amazing vocalist

Advertisement