Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies greatest song of the 90s - Live Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

QF/Match 3
    Nirvana - Come As You Are
    I disagree with most I think in that I think Zombie is one of The Cranberries weakest songs - it's a bit too cliched for my tastes. Come As You Are is atmospheric and great.

QF/Match 4
    Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
    Voting for Rage mostly because I really really dislike that No Doubt song :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

QF/Match 3
    The Cranberries - Zombie
    My favourite Cranberries song. Dolores' vocals are simply amazing

QF/Match 4
    This is a tough one as I like both and both are completely different songs. I will go with RATM as I would be more likely to be tapping away on the steering wheel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I feel pretty indifferent towards all 4 songs

I guess dont speak cause it feels more 90s to me and
    zombie cause that's probably my least favourite nirvana song

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 3 - Nirvana - Come As You Are. My favourite Nirvana song, nearly made my nominations list.

Match 4 - No opinion

Come as you are - could listen to it more than the cranberries

Don’t speak / killling in the name of - abstaining as I don’t think either are worthy of the title of best song of the 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Nirvana - Come As You Are - It has a good bassline. I don't like Zombie anyway.

No Doubt - Don't Speak - Nice genuine ballad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Zombie - Have already stated that Come as you Are is one of the weaker tracks on album and Zombie is just a monster...pun intended.

Killing in the Name of - As someone else said it's just an uncompromising rock track. Don't Speak was a bit annoying after a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

RATM as its a better song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Zombie - While I always relate indie songs to the 90s this was still a classic
    RAGTM - Its just a better song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The Cranberries - Zombie 8 8 Nirvana - Come As You Are
    No Doubt - Don't speak 5 9 Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of

• Advertisement

The Cranberries - Zombie 8 8 Nirvana - Come As You Are

The Cranberries advance due to conceding less in the previous round, 11 - 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Still have 2 songs going in to the Semis. Hopefully at least one can make it to the final and take home the win.

Solid enough Final 4 in fairness.

Lets go with the SF now, and hopefully do the final this evening.

Please give a reason for your vote.
    Will leave this open until 3pm, no quota.

SF/Match 1

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    1991/ UK #7 US #6 Ire #15

vs

1992/UK #1 Ire #2

SF/Match 2

The Cranberries - Zombie
    1994/UK #14 Ire #3

vs

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
    1991/UK #19 US #4 Ire #5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Whilst undoubtedly all 4 are excellent tracks none of them would regularly feature in one my playlists with the exception of Zombie so that gets the nod in match up number two for that reason.

In number 1 I think due to the significance of the song on the Grunge era I'll give the nod to Smells like teen spirit. If I wanted to get out and dance to a tune I'd probably prefer RATM but for significance I'll have to go with Nirvana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

SF/Match 1
    My nomination and just a slightly better song.

SF/Match 2
    The Cranberries - Zombie
    1994/UK #14 Ire #3
    No competition here as far as I'm concerned. Zombie is a favourite of mine and as I have said before, I think Lacuna Coil's cover of Losing My Religion is far superior to the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. It's just better than RATM

REM - Losing My Religion - While I like Zombie, I nominated this one and it has quite a distinctive sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

SF/Match 1

As stated previously Nirvana were at the forefront of grunge in the 90s and helped make it mainstream. This song is a 90s classic anthem and Grohl is a god.

SF/Match 2

The Cranberries - Zombie
    1994/UK #14 Ire #3

Great song and guitar, probably not their greatest but deserving of a place in finals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote:
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit 1991/ UK #7 US #6 Ire #15

Better song by miles imo.
    Kolido wrote:
    R.E.M. - Losing My Religion 1991/UK #19 US #4 Ire #5

Zombie has gone way too far in this competition and neither probably deserves the final but I prefer this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Smells Like Teen Spirit and Zombie

Both feel more like 90’s tracks personified to me yet are still playable as hell today and I’d leave them on if I heard them.

SF/Match 1
    Teen Spirit - without doubt would be deserving of the title of best song of the 90's. Killing In the Name Of - er no.

SF/Match 2
    A song by one of the greatest bands of all time v a cliched dirge. I'll take the greatest band of all time thank you very much (even if it isn't close to being their best song)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - it's iconic '90s and no matter how often its played I never get sick of it. Nirvana paved the way for a lot of the music and bands I love and Teen Spirit is an absolute anthem.

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion - I was only about 5 when this song came out, but I remember hearing it on the radio or seeing the video on TV and I loved it. If it wasn't for songs like this in the early '90s, I probably wouldn't have the same love for music as I do today.

Both of these are my remaining nominations. Would love to see either win, so would be great to see both in the final.

Match 1 - Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. It's the single most iconic grunge anthem of the 90s.

Match 2 - R.E.M. - Losing My Religion. Only an OK song, but really don't like Dolores O'Riordan's voice.

I think Lacuna Coil's cover of Losing My Religion is far superior to the original.

It's certainly different to the original I'll give you that!

SF/Match 1

voting against one of my nominations here but the tuen is just such a classic, desreves to win overall imo

SF/Match 2
    love Zombie, but REM are a better band, this song has more depth & I would listen to it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Smells Like Teen Spirit
    It was truly mind blowing when it came out, like nothing I'd ever heard. And it still stands up so well

Zombie
    Really tough, I love both. But Zombie is probably in my top three Cranberries songs. Losing My Religion probably doesn't trouble my top 20 REM songs, maybe even more. For that reason I'm voting against it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Nirvana and REM

I think this would be a fair final for "best song of the 90s" - both had a seismic impact on music at the time and are embedded in the collective consciousness in a way Killing... and Zombie are not (also Zombie is sh!te but I may have mentioned that before).

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit : Iconic grunge song with great guitar riff from Kurt Cobain. Also, one of my nominations.

REM - Losing My Religion. Nice song and nice mandolin.

I just checked the votes given before me and I see my nomination has already gone through! Phew!

Smells like teen spirit - it’s an iconic 90s tune whereas I first heard killing in the name of in clubs and pubs in the noughties.

Losing my religion - I like REM and it’s anyone but the cranberries for me thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nirvana - Better song and if you were to do pick ten bands/songs of the decade for a Reeling in the Years type thingy this would be one of them. Iconic and anthemic.

REM - I like both but Losing my Religion is a bit more catchy with a better tune and Zombie does have a bit of cliche to it, albeit a good song.

• Advertisement

Interesting if it turns out to be a Nirvana v REM final. Pretty sure that I've read Kurt Cobain say that REM were a huge influence on him/them.

Just listened to all four. Well done everyone, it's a great line up!

Zombie and Teen Spirit are both songs that I think are awesome but are even better when I listen to them, it's amazing they can still do that after 25yrs or so :)

Looking very like a Nirvana and REM final now

Nirvana whitewashing RATM and REM picking up a lot of the more recent votes.

Couldn't complain with that outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I've missed so much!!

I just don't like RATM!! and this is a classic 90's track

The Cranberries - Zombie
    1994/UK #14 Ire #3

I listen to zombie and actually all the cranberries songs from this comp regularly. Dolores has an incredibly distinct voice and this song is pretty poignent "it's not me it's not my family" love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Votes go to
    Nirvana
    REM.

Both songs are epitomising 90's.
    Nirvana I like more than the RATM song (although I liked Pearl Jam more at the time)
    REM because it is one of my most favourite songs whereas Cranberries I have other songs that I like more than Zombie

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit 17 Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
    The Cranberries - Zombie 6 11 R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Gonna be tough to choose between these two in the final for me. Two of my all-time favourite songs, and both are my nominations. I had a feeling a few rounds back that these two could potentially be in the final provided they didn't go head to head before then. Will need to have a few listens of both before the big vote.

giphy.gif

Tonight, Tonight was my final nomination to go out. :( Was rooting for Don't Speak after that, as it had been on my shortlist but I cut it on the assumption someone else would nominate it (which they thankfully did).

Can't complain too much about the quality of the final two I guess but neither is the best song, nor even best 90's song, by their respective group imo. But sure at least it's not Oasis! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Gonna be tough to choose between these two in the final for me. Two of my all-time favourite songs, and both are my nominations. I had a feeling a few rounds back that these two could potentially be in the final provided they didn't go head to head before then. Will need to have a few listens of both before the big vote.

giphy.gif

yes, very true. Both iconic songs.
    For me it simply goes down to liking the one band more than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

When's the final?

• Advertisement

Tonight, I think

Necro wrote: »
    Tonight, I think

Tonight, tonight ?

Rikand wrote: »
    Tonight, tonight ?

:D No that got knocked out.

Always preferred this one from them though, nearly nominated it myself

I will hopefully run the final later, if anyone wont be here you can pm me your choice now with reason

Necro wrote: »
    :D No that got knocked out.

Always preferred this one from them though, nearly nominated it myself

My second favourite song from them after1979 :)

Rikand wrote: »
    My second favourite song from them after1979 :)

Sign of a great band that I disagree with you but see your point :)

(Disarm, Tonight Tonight, Bullet With Butterfly Wings ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Kolido wrote:
    I will hopefully run the final later, if anyone wont be here you can pm me your choice now with reason

We're all voting Nirvana tho right?!

Sign of a great band that I disagree with you but see your point :)

(Disarm, Tonight Tonight, Bullet With Butterfly Wings ;) )

Disarm is a great song too!

Kolido wrote: »

I have delivered my postal vote!

• Advertisement

I have delivered my postal vote!

Same here. Heading out later, so voting early in case I miss it.

Advertisement