Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

glasso wrote: »
    Seriously it's embarrassing tho for a GS final that a player hits two double faults in a row three times. And another one on match point.

Ugh

Agreed, I cringed when Djokovic did it at RG.

Now that Williams is finished it's a merry go round of inconsistency

Agreed, I cringed when Djokovic did it at RG.

He didn't double double three times. And three faults in the last game

Muck

Not the result I wanted at all, will be a tough defeat to take for Garbine. Had 0-40 on Kenin's serve at 2-2 and 40-15 on her own serve in the next. Just complete capitulation.

He didn't double double three times. And three faults in the last game

Muck

So how many double faults is acceptable when serving for a slam title? One is ok but three is "muck"?

So how many double faults is acceptable when serving for a slam title? One is ok but three is "muck"?

Three times worse obviously yes.

Stop being silly.

As well as three separate occasions of double faulting twice in a row.

That's just muck, in a final ffs

Three times worse obviously yes.

Stop being silly.

As well as three separate occasions of double faulting twice in a row.

That's just muck, in a final ffs

Ah now, stop getting defensive just cause I'm calling out your double standards again :pac:

Ah now, stop getting defensive just cause I'm calling out your double standards again :pac:

lol you coudn't debate your way out of a paper bag.

you were rinsed the last time on the prize money issue :pac:

seriously that final there was promising for a while but such bad standards just rob it of any credibility.

even Kenin was cringing for a moment there after the final game.

Women's tennis used to be decent and worth watching but that period was a long long time ago. players like Graf were great to watch.

it's sad really.

• Advertisement

lol you coudn't argue your way out of a paper bag.

you were rinsed the last time on the prize money issue :pac:

seriously that final there was promising for a while but such bad standards just rob it of any credibility.

even Kenin was cringing for a moment there after the final game.

What's there to argue? All I'm doing is highlighting your double standards and complete lack of logic. You're complaining about the fact she got nervous and double faulted the match away. Djokovic did the same at RG because he got distracted by a partisan crowd. You'd never have displayed such hostility to Djokovic, or anyone on the ATP, for doing the same thing. Double standards. I asked for your clarification on how many double faults are acceptable, given that one is seemingly fine but three is "muck", but you got defensive and said I was being silly. Not sure who's having trouble arguing their points here tbh.

And again, trying to state that the match has been robbed of credibility is totally your subjective, nonsensical opinion. Who on Earth will look back on Sofia's great win and think it lacks credibility because Muguruza had a poor service game at the end? Just total nonsense being spouted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Women's tennis used to be decent and worth watching but that period was a long long time ago. players like Graf were great to watch.

it's sad really.

The standard is absolutely brutal nowadays ,most of the players are baseline bashers .

The womens game always had a lot to do with mental strength,Graf won so much because of her temperament ,she was the ice woman.
    You still had players like Novotna and Pierce ,who were a bundle of nerves .

Players came from tougher backgrounds back then ,I think it toughened them up ,they are too spoilt nowadays and mentally weak as a result.

three double-faults in one game is three times worse than one double-fault.

maybe you need to go back to your multiplication tables?

and it was not just one service game as I said - double-faulting twice in a row in three separate games is just terrible terrible stuff (even more so in just 3 sets)- how can you defend that "level" of tennis and say that it doesn't bring into question the credibility of a contest?

Interesting stat

https://twitter.com/CalebPereira23/status/1223292017116991488

Thiem 9-6 against the big three since 2018, but obviously slams are a different beast. Really hope he can rescue something from this weekend of tennis for me. :(

The standard is absolutely brutal nowadays ,most of the players are baseline bashers .

The womens game always had a lot to do with mental strength,Graf won so much because of her temperament ,she was the ice woman.
    You still had players like Novotna and Pierce ,who were a bundle of nerves .

Players came from tougher backgrounds back then ,I think it toughened them up ,they are too spoilt nowadays and mentally weak as a result.

yet some people just can't face up to the reality of the situation. head in sand stuff.

you are right unfortunately - too many mentally frail flakes who might have one or two reasonable tournaments and that's it and the style and standard is so lacking.

there hasn't been a real champion in so long.

Fair play to Serena for winning so many titles but pure physical advantage was indisputably an issue there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

What's there to argue? All I'm doing is highlighting your double standards and complete lack of logic. You're complaining about the fact she got nervous and double faulted the match away. Djokovic did the same at RG because he got distracted by a partisan crowd. You'd never have displayed such hostility to Djokovic, or anyone on the ATP, for doing the same thing. Double standards. I asked for your clarification on how many double faults are acceptable, given that one is seemingly fine but three is "muck", but you got defensive and said I was being silly. Not sure who's having trouble arguing their points here tbh.

And again, trying to state that the match has been robbed of credibility is totally your subjective, nonsensical opinion. Who on Earth will look back on Sofia's great win and think it lacks credibility because Muguruza had a poor service game at the end? Just total nonsense being spouted.

You know the rules. If kenin doesnt win at least 2 of the next 3 slams, the whole thing is rubbish and inconsistent. The present generation is useless because it cant compare to serena williams or steffi graf. Etc ad nauseam.

• Advertisement

What makes tennis interesting is champion players going at it (rivalries) with a great standard of tennis, producing great matches.

Both the standard and the rivalry aspects have been obviously absent from women's tennis for a long time.

For many years it was effectively a divisive situation with people loving or hating Serena Williams and now that she's finished for the last couple of years a vacuum of mediocrity.

45 unforced errors in only 26 games today by Muguruza.

And none of these games were long multiple deuce games.

That's 1.73 unforced errors per game.

Let's see how that compares to what we see tomorrow to see how the standard stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic should really win this, I know I was comparing Thiems power to Stans a few posts ago, and we tend to remember Stans couple of big wins against Djokovic. But Djokovic is 17-6 or thereabouts against Stan, so he can generally handle the power.

Thiem has to go for the lines to have a chance, not sure he can keep hitting them for 3 sets. I think Djokovic is playing too consistently well to have a mental or tactical stinker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Djokovic is in fine form, it's hard to see Thiem winning but I hope for a great match nonetheless.

three double-faults in one game is three times worse than one double-fault.

maybe you need to go back to your multiplication tables?

and it was not just one service game as I said - double-faulting twice in a row in three separate games is just terrible terrible stuff (even more so in just 3 sets)- how can you defend that "level" of tennis and say that it doesn't bring into question the credibility of a contest?

Yeah, again, I was asking what in your opinion was acceptable when serving for a grand slam title. One if seemingly fine, but three is "muck", seems like a pretty fine line to have to tread. If she'd only made two in that final game would it have been alright?
    45 unforced errors in only 26 games today by Muguruza.

And none of these games were long multiple deuce games.

That's 1.73 unforced errors per game.

Let's see how that compares to what we see tomorrow to see how the standard stacks up.

I mean, Muguruza was the runner up. She lost the match. Probably goes without saying she'd make a lot more unforced errors. Kenin, the victor, made approximately half the unforced errors.

Again I think it goes without saying we're probably going to see a higher standard in the men's final. One of the all time greats against a player in the form of his life will likely be better than a first time finalist and a player recovering from two mentally shot years, particularly when played over best of 5. I know this isn't exactly a golden era of the WTA but I think it deserves a little more respect than it is often given on here.

To me it begs the question, why do you watch something that you seemingly don't enjoy in the slightest, and appear to have utter disdain for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully with the start of a new decade we finally get a slam winner that was born in the 1990's. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Thiem beats Djokovic, he has the talent and now I think he also has the right mindset.

Not sure about that, all one way traffic so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

a real high quality contest so far.

Thiem being able to weather the Djokovic initial onslaught and break back is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I'll make a bold prediction and say Djokovic and Federer won't win any more slams, Nadal neither bar the French Open...
    Finally we have a new generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'll make a bold prediction and say Djokovic and Federer won't win any more slams, Nadal neither bar the French Open...
    Finally we have a new generation.

Don’t think that’s bold.

Fed very very unlikely..

I think a new FO champion this year. Nadal is cooked...

Nole can probably bag 1-2 max..

DF from Thiem hands Nole set 1..

Doppelfehler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Djokovic the better player so far, he is making Thiem work much harder in his service games

So typical from Djokovic, this is better then serving it out, gets the break/set - no need to serve, and then serving 1st 2nd set....

Thiem has to win the second set

Thiem hitting through the ball here...doing well.

• Advertisement

Djokovic looking uncharicteristically nervous

Djokovic completely lost it mentally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Theim badly needs to go on and win this set now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Thiem’s UE count is hurting him.

4-4 Break Back

Nole two serve time ‘faults’ in a row...

Cost him a first serve...

and that could be it for Djokovic at least if he doesn't get his head sorted

Very uncontrolled set there from Djokovic, Thiem looking more likely to win this from here in fact

lostcat wrote: »
    Very uncontrolled set there from Djokovic, Thiem looking more likely to win this from here in fact

I woudn't put it past Djokovic to sort himself though. He has done it before in finals.

• Advertisement

LOVE this umpire!
    Djokovic needs to start accusing him of being sexist, racist and repeatedly scream "I'm a father!!1"

Nole...what a pr1ck..horrible sport.

They need to punish these outbursts and disrespects...

Drop him a game and maybe that’ll shut him up..

Umpires should tell these upstarts to stfu..

Horrible miss from Thiem

Djokovic serve has taken a dive

Thiem in fairness is pulling the trigger any time he gets the chance, and Djokovic giving him plenty of chances...

Thiem in fairness is pulling the trigger any time he gets the chance, and Djokovic giving him plenty of chances...

True he's not holding back.

Very unlike Djokovic here. Thiem will surely take this set but Djokovic could well push back in the 4th and get his sh1t together.

• Advertisement

True he's not holding back.

Very unlike Djokovic here. Thiem will surely take this set but Djokovic could well push back in the 4th and get his sh1t together.

There have been plenty of slam finals Djokovic had lost by not looking like he thinks he can win, this looks like one of them, surprising as it is

There have been plenty of slam finals Djokovic had lost by not looking like he thinks he can win, this looks like one of them, surprising as it is

yes but that's going back a fair number of years. he has won 8/10 of the last GS finals that he has got to.

start of the 4th set will be big

Jaysus, making a meal ouha this set game!

This is all over ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement