Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ktm 125 exc road legal?

Options
  • 16-01-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi just wondering if I buy a Ktm 125 exc in the north or from England that if I vrt it, will it be road legal in Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Should be, VRT paid indicates that it's taxable, if taxed then you can insure and that would make legal if I'm not mistaken...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Once it has front and rear lights you're ok. Be prepared to sleep with it in your bedroom and be stopped by every Garda car you come across though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Boylan141

D3V!L wrote: »
    Once it has front and rear lights you're ok. Be prepared to sleep with it in your bedroom and be stopped by every Garda car you come across though.

Was just wondering as most bikes like the ktm are on English plates in Ireland thanks for the information

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

D3V!L wrote: »

Not quite - it needs to have a speedo, with critically, an odometer showing mileage. It needs to have more than 6k kms on it or you'll need to allow for 23% VAT as well as VRT.

If it doesn't you're not going to be able register it: BTDT with Revenue for an enduro bike. Mine got reg'd, my buddy's Honda.........didn't.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ktm-motorbikes/ktm-exc-125-2008/1362154402

Something like this, would it be road legal here?

• Advertisement

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ktm-motorbikes/ktm-exc-125-2008/1362154402

Something like this, would it be road legal here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Yes, it would but as it has not been registered in the UK (possibly reg'd in guernsey??) I wouldn't be bothered, get one that's on a uk/eu plate at a minimum.

Yes, it would but as it has not been registered in the UK (possibly reg'd in guernsey??) I wouldn't be bothered, get one that's on a uk/eu plate at a minimum.

Yes I would be buying out of the uk was just using that as an example so it would be allowed on Irish roads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Boylan141 wrote: »
    Yes I would be buying out of the uk was just using that as an example so it would be allowed on Irish roads

Yea once it has a plate on it there's usually very little reason it can't be registered here - an odometer pretty much being the only thing needed for registration - Which it would need in the UK anyway.

Yea once it has a plate on it there's usually very little reason it can't be registered here - an odometer pretty much being the only thing needed for registration - Which it would need in the UK anyway.

Thanks for the information will look forward to purchasing one soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Yup they are road legal here, mate had one a few years back. They're great craic, but he wrote it off.

Get yourself an insurance quote before you even bother trying to bring one in, I remember he had great difficulty getting it insured. (He was in his 30's with a full licence / ncb etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I was refused VRT because I didn't have working indicators on my KTM EXC 200 in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

You may find indicators are a legal requirement.

You may find indicators are a legal requirement.

Nope: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/189/made/en/print

My understanding is, if fitted, they must work: but SI only mentions them being a requirement for cars.

It's one reason why you still have to know how to do hand signals in your test.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I was refused VRT because I didn't have working indicators on my KTM EXC 200 in 2018.

I think the key there is 'working'

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement