Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,358 ✭✭✭✭walshb

KiKi III wrote: »
    It’s mad to see people denying the clear racism and homophobia of the remarks. There really is no way to misinterpret what he said.

Absolutely. His remarks are as clear as fooking day. He got found out, and then tried to pathetically claim that he was misinterpreted...

Standards are, and have been slipping in this country for many years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Nift wrote: »
    to you. Its obviously not to Leo as his actual reply before accepting the apology was - “None of those things should matter in the kind of society I believe in.”

So why bring it up at all. the fact that the intention wasn't racist doesn't make it a racist comment. This is the reality of our world. I mean personally i'm for the Morgan Freeman idea of stop labels. But even that is seen as racist in some american circles. Look i get what your saying but if you said this stuff to certain people in certain places you'd be done. Say it in a meeting or a professional interview your done etc. thats the reality no matter what you think. IF someone said that to my daughter i would construe that as racist, i'm sorry to say.

I understand the 'reality' of the world. I just have no patience for the toxic BS of politically correct discourse. Silence is consent, and I don't consent to American identity politics claptrap. I will never accept it.

If you ask me why I think he said it, and I don't know PH at all -

simply, he became, as Disraeli said of Gladstone

inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity

Verbal diarrhoea. Lost the run of himself. No more.

Incidentally, in my personal experience, people in and around boxing clubs might say the odd unpolished thing, but at heart are amongst the least prejudicial in regard to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

https://twitter.com/unakavanagh/status/1217868594165489664?s=20

He's an a total cabbage, a Healy-Rae with a Dublin accent. Love to know how he thinks he's being 'misinterpreted' here.

Shocking comb-over going on too.

It’s mad to see people denying the clear racism and homophobia of the remarks. There really is no way to misinterpret what he said.

What he said was really not very bad, nor interesting, nor important.

Nobody died.

Big deal about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Nobody died.

Big deal about nothing.

That’s an opinion you’re entitled to hold, but it is just one opinion. Your continued participation in the thread suggests otherwise, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Gas thing is if it was someone from another party that said something like that Mary Lou would be calling for them to be hung drawn and quartered.

Nobody died.

Big deal about nothing.

This is a pretty silly and childish way to respond to his remarks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

A thicko with strong opinions. Its a dangerous cocktail.

All this ****e about Irish bloodlines going back generations, thinking he is sounding as philosophical as his buddy McGregor.

Fantastic representative for his community.

Blanco100 wrote: »

All this ****e about Irish bloodlines going back generations, thinking he is sounding as philosophical as his buddy McGregor.

Spot on..

As if he’s so so Irish and versed in everything about the island.

I bet my bottom dollar, Leo wipes the floor with him in an Irish history type quiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

https://twitter.com/unakavanagh/status/1217868594165489664?s=20

He's an a total cabbage, a Healy-Rae with a Dublin accent. Love to know how he thinks he's being 'misinterpreted' here.

Shocking comb-over going on too.

He clearly misspoke. :rolleyes:

Way to stoke up the sectarian /racism. That will work well in the long term for us.

What is his name!??? Sorry i am unfamiliar with sinners in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Paddy is planning on doing a Peter Casey, and judging by the attention he is getting, he is off to a great start. I'd never heard of the clown until he came out with these gems. Surely Noel Grealish isn't going to stand by and let Paddy steal a march. Watch this space.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,589 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Another highly personalised post. Ran out of road again.
    I don't give a **** what you claim to think about me. You're full of hypocrisy and piss.
    I dont see you jumping in once to defend the Greens.
    The lad was ignorant and stupid but not homophobic.
    I've likely done more than you to help further gay rights in Ireland.
    What did Leo mean about people who 'like' to get up early in the morning?
    I stand by my opinion despite your bitter slurs. You should try it.
    Matt Barrett is now threadbanned

But just to put a message out to Matt and blanch152 - you seem to follow each other around the forum stirring things up for each other. Continue doing so and you will find yourself banned not only from specific threads but also from the forum, thereby depriving you of posting privileges as we head towards the election

Blanco100 wrote: »

What does this mean ?

walshb wrote: »
    Spot on..

As if he’s so so Irish and versed in everything about the island.

I bet my bottom dollar, Leo wipes the floor with him in an Irish history type quiz!
    Leo is more Irish than him! :D

That’s an opinion you’re entitled to hold, but it is just one opinion. Your continued participation in the thread suggests otherwise, though.

My participation in the thread is not on account of what he said, but on account of the silly over-reaction to it here.

I hope, possibly in vain, that you can comprehend the distinction.

The 'just one opinion' applies equally to everyone, and therefore, so what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

What does this mean ?

Sarcasm my friend. Not having a pop at Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The same hoo ha erupted when Enda Kenny told the famous 'N' joke. He got called out on it by all politicians, the council of Civil Liberties and the Irish Refugee Council. He stuck it out for 4 days and eventually apologised and put it behind him.

This has been apologised for and the apology accepted inside the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

The same hoo ha erupted when Enda Kenny told the famous 'N' joke. He got called out on it by all politicians, the council of Civil Liberties and the Irish Refugee Council. He stuck it out for 4 days and eventually apologised and put it behind him.

There is a different between repeating a joke with a racial slur in it and actually promoting racist views.

Holohan is a bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,781 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Paddy's a ginger, he can't be racist :p

I see Paddy has apologised now to Leo

He comes off such a wanker in that video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

He'll have to explain what the correct interpretation of his remarks are at some stage. That has the potential to back fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

seamus wrote: »
    There's no anti-SF spin there or "snowflakery". This is what Holohan said.

You have to admit that it will be used to attack Sinn Fein.

The question is: is it reflective of Sinn Fein? I've always said that Sinn Fein is a clusterfcuk of contradictions. The parts of it that are nationalistic, ourselves alone, armalite and ballot box would appreciate this sentiment. The liberal, progressive, left-wing part would find it antithetical.

Sinn Fein will obviously gag him, if not outright expel him. I imagine this will be mostly forgotten by polling day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

My participation in the thread is not on account of what he said, but on account of the silly over-reaction to it here.

I hope, possibly in vain, that you can comprehend the distinction.

The 'just one opinion' applies equally to everyone, and therefore, so what ?

Well, you seem to be presenting your opinion as though it’s the only valid one. I was just very politely reminding you that it’s not.

Take a chill pill dude. I haven’t used that phrase since nineteen dickety two but it seems apt here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He comes off such a wanker in that video.

If you ever saw an interview with the guy you'd know he was one of those poor dopes who thinks he full of deep insights.

jh79 wrote: »
    He'll have to explain what the correct interpretation of his remarks are at some stage. That has the potential to back fire.

I don't expect transcripts of politicians to read like Ulysses. I expect them to be pretty straightforward and intelligible. I don't want to have to unlock some secret vague code.

Interpretation should not be needed. It's not a Beckett play.

The question is: is it reflective of Sinn Fein? I've always said that Sinn Fein is a clusterfcuk of contradictions. The parts of it that are nationalistic, ourselves alone, armalite and ballot box would appreciate this sentiment. The liberal, progressive, left-wing part would find it antithetical.

Sinn Fein will obviously gag him, if not outright expel him. I imagine this will be mostly forgotten by polling day.

FG should take a leaf out of SF's book here in fairness. They closed down this story very quickly if you compare it to Enda or even more recent stories like RIC/DMP.
    They unequivocally separated themselves from Holohan's remarks and demanded publicly that he apologise.

FG dither around passing the buck and blaming/not blaming others in the party and create a bigger ****show. They really should learn.

Bambi wrote: »
    If you ever saw an interview with the guy you'd know he was one of those poor dopes who thinks he full of deep insights.

Aping McGregor, who has the same exalted opinion of himself. 'Philosophical' somebody called him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

blanch152 wrote: »

Homophobic attacks on the Taoiseach are to be expected, but you would have thought they would come from a rural politician with the emotional intelligence of a Healy-Rae, but hearing it from a working-class Sinn Fein councillor is suprising on the face of it. It is a blatant form of homophobia - don't vote for the gay because he doesn't understand families - aimed at those who are less well-educated.

Lovely bit of discrimination there against those in rural communities. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

Lol i see he used to be an MMA dude. OH gaaawwwd.
    Originally Posted by RandomName2 viewpost.gif

And so it should be.

Advertisement