Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Abd some people refuse to believe any criticism of a gay public fugure isnt homophobic, but sure here we are now

That’s the funny part. There’s an absolute trove of legitimate reasons to criticise Leo Varadkar. Dozens of them.

So why would you focus on when he chose to come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Abd some people refuse to believe any criticism of a gay public fugure isnt homophobic, but sure here we are now

when the criticism is based on the fact that they are gay then that is pretty much the definition of homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

when the criticism is based on the fact that they are gay then that is pretty much the definition of homophobic.

Gay people can have a family

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Fair play to him....nothing homophobic whatsover in what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Whens the PPV anyway? Holohan v Varadkar. Shame they didn't manage to get it on the undercard of the McGregor fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Fair play to him....nothing homophobic whatsover in what he said.

Questioning when someone came out (six or seven years after the fact) where it bears no relevance to any issues of the day is very obviously homophobic.

If you chat to some of your gay friends I’m sure they’ll shed some light on it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

When Enda Kenny made his infamous 'N' joke, the Irish Refugee Council and the Irish Council for Civil Liberties where strident in their criticism of him.

Have they made any comment here does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

really regret my vote 'yes' in the 2015 marriage referendum ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Why he mentioned his Indian blood is there in the transcript of what he said.

No, its not there in the transcript. He used that term as a racist nationalistic dog whistle.
    He was making a stupid and rambling point as to why he thought Leo was separate to his history.
    But by stating that Leo was obviously a part of that history, he was sure as hell wasn't saying he wasn't Irish.

He was using the oft used far-right trope about Leo's 'Indian blood' (i.e he is not pure blood Irish) makes him disconnected and less 'passionate' about Ireland i.e. He isn't as Irish as a pure stock Irishman.

He was pointing out to his 'Indian blood' specifically in making political commentary that was racist.

Seems like the UUP and SF have a lot in common about racism these days.

When Enda Kenny made his infamous 'N' joke, the Irish Refugee Council and the Irish Council for Civil Liberties where strident in their criticism of him.

Have they made any comment here does anyone know?

But but but..., whatabout....

You really are hilarious Francie.
    We may as well bring up Gerry 'I was never in the IRA' Adams into the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

The racist comment is far more egregious than any homophobic inference. Indeed, had it not been for Holohan's thoughts about Varadkar's race I would have given him the benefit of the doubt regarding the "family man" remark and presumed Holohan was criticising Varadkar for not being working class enough or whatever.

Instead I can only assume the worst: Paddy Holohan is a racist and his bigotry probably extends to homophobia as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

His comment about Leo's indian heritage is certainly well off the mark. Anyone born and raised here is as Irish as he is. I would say there are plenty of children born to immigrants that could converse better as gaeilge at six years old than paddy could. No place for that nonsense among elected representatives

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I find it a bit strange that multiple papers are still discussing this and moralising. However the very same papers just bumped their news on the the homeless man that was crushed by the council in Dublin to tell us he was Eritrean.it's almost like they're telling us not to care as much,almost like they're wolf whistling themselves...almost like they're absolute hypocrites.

markodaly wrote: »
    No, its not there in the transcript. He used that term as a racist nationalistic dog whistle.

He was using the oft used far-right trope about Leo's 'Indian blood' (i.e he is not pure blood Irish) makes him disconnected and less 'passionate' about Ireland i.e. He isn't as Irish as a pure stock Irishman.

He was pointing out to his 'Indian blood' specifically in making political commentary that was racist.

Seems like the UUP and SF have a lot in common about racism these days.

You just won't accept the line 'Obviously Leo is a part of it (our history).

Blows all of your rant out of the water.

And I would say that Leo, when he read it, accepted that the guy couldn't make a point to save his life and just moved on.

Leaving you having to lie about what he said:

a) his linage is not part of the country He specifically pointed out that 'Obviously Leo is a part of it (our History) BUT still you attempt the lie. Pathetic at this stage.

Now you want to censor any comparisons to similar controversy's and who got involved in them.
    I asked a simple question, has the Irish Council for Civil Liberties or The Refugee Council felt motivated to comment here as they were when Enda told an 'N' joke.

I'm not the person defending racist and homophobic comments about bloodlines or lack of them. You are scraping the bottom of the barrel with what little credibility you have left. Then again, you are an Irish supremacist, so it's not surprising are here defending comments, that even SF say themselves is 'unacceptable'.

As if Enda Kenny's comment has any bearing on this topic.
    Create a new thread if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You just won't accept the line 'Obviously Leo is a part of it (our history).

And I would say that Leo, when he read it, accepted that the guy couldn't make a point to save his life and just moved on.

Leaving you having to lie about what he said:

a) his linage is not part of the country He specifically pointed out that 'Obviously Leo is a part of it (our History) BUT still you attempt the lie. Pathetic at this stage.

Now you want to censor any comparisons to similar controversy's and who got involved in them.
    I asked a simple question, has the Irish Council for Civil Liberties or The Refugee Council felt motivated to comment here as they were when Enda told an 'N' joke.

Leo didn't want the argument
    I don't either (though I appreciate others here do)
    I think leo and his handlers quickly realised it wasn't worth it
    I doubt anyone thinks his apology was genuine
    There are probably people who think like Holahan even in Leo's own party but they've the cop on to stay quiet,society having moved on and all
    I'd have thought Sinn Féin supported immigrants minorities etc
    Displaying what he displayed was very unrepublicsn and very un sinn Féin of Holahan
    There will be those who will think Holahan was a pawn here to create some sort of smokestorm to derail Fine Gael into some sort of a sideshow for a week of the short campaign
    They didnt bite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

With all the current drug related violence in the country it will be interesting to see if a very senior SF politician’s cocaine addiction comes up on the doorsteps. It appears to be common knowledge.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Leo Varadkar’s blood obviously runs to India. His great-grandfather is not part of the history of this country. Now Leo obviously is. He’s an Irish citizen but his passion doesn’t go back to the times when our passion goes back to.

"He's an Irish citizen but he is a little bit less Irish than the rest of us"

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Leo didn't want the argument
    I don't either (though I appreciate others here do)
    I think leo and his handlers quickly realised it wasn't worth it
    I doubt anyone thinks his apology was genuine
    There are probably people who think like Holahan even in Leo's own party but they've the cop on to stay quiet,society having moved on and all
    I'd have thought Sinn Féin supported immigrants minorities etc
    Displaying what he displayed was very unrepublicsn and very un sinn Féin of Holahan
    There will be those who will think Holahan was a pawn here to create some sort of smokestorm to derail Fine Gael into some sort of a sideshow for a week of the short campaign
    They didnt bite

Or Leo, like me and many others see it for what it is. A clumsy and rambling attempt to make a point about something.
    Not the first or last polirician to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Or Leo, like me and many others see it for what it is. A clumsy and rambling attempt to make a point about something.
    Not the first or last polirician to do that.

He saw it was racism though. His statement counted it as another example of bigotry that minorities face in Ireland.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    I'm not the person defending racist and homophobic comments about bloodlines or lack of them. You are scraping the bottom of the barrel with what little credibility you have left. Then again, you are an Irish supremacist, so it's not surprising are here defending comments, that even SF say themselves is 'unacceptable'.

As if Enda Kenny's comment has any bearing on this topic.
    Create a new thread if you wish.

People who are caught lying 'lose credibility' mark. And you had to lie to get the charge to stick.

Sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    With all the current drug related violence in the country it will be interesting to see if a very senior SF politician’s cocaine addiction comes up on the doorsteps. It appears to be common knowledge.

Sure if it's common knowledge, no harm saying who it is so. Go on.

Wouldn't the more important factor in that instance for the doorsteps be Fine Gaels cuts to policing budgets?

jh79 wrote: »
    He saw it was racism though. His statement counted it as another example of bigotry that minorities face in Ireland.

The question he was asked was about racism. After he accepted the apology he spoke to 'the wider issue of racism....'
    His words not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

smurgen wrote: »
    Wouldn't the more important factor in that instance for the doorsteps be Fine Gaels cuts to policing budgets?

The hypocrisy of a politician condemning those who sell drugs and those who use them while simultaneously buying and using drugs himself is something that should be questioned.

Have FG cut policing budgets or increased them?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

The question he was asked was about racism. After he accepted the apology he spoke to 'the wider issue of racism....'
    His words not mine.

Yes because he was the target of racist remarks. His poor performance being due to his Indian blood.

Who is this now?

"He's an Irish citizen but he is a little bit less Irish than the rest of us"

This x1000

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,635 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

FrancieBrady and markodaly

Cut out the mindless bickering between the pair of you, both in this thread but equally anywhere else in the forum

Any questions PM me

• Advertisement

The hypocrisy of a politician condemning those who sell drugs and those who use them while simultaneously buying and using drugs himself is something that should be questioned.

Have FG cut policing budgets or increased them?

Cut significantly.in cork we had just two gardai on patrol some nights in the city centre over Xmas. Apparently 125 more are needed. Maybe a few more homeless people will be murdered and they'll up it.

Advertisement