Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The hypocrisy of a politician condemning those who sell drugs and those who use them while simultaneously buying and using drugs himself is something that should be questioned.

Have FG cut policing budgets or increased them?

Are you going to identify the politician? Or is it just mud slinging?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Are you going to identify the politician? Or is it just mud slinging?

I’ll just say he has a penetrating name.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

smurgen wrote: »
    Cut significantly.in cork we had just two gardai on patrol some nights in the city centre over Xmas. Apparently 125 more are needed. Maybe a few more homeless people will be murdered and they'll up it.

The Garda budget was increased by over 100 million.

You shouldn't be afraid to say his name if as you claim his drug use is common knowledge. Come on don't be coy.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/traces-of-cocaine-found-in-toilets-near-dail-chamber-244930.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

over what period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I would say there are plenty of children born to immigrants that could converse better as gaeilge at six years old than paddy could.

Is that some sort of marker of "degrees of Irishness" now? :confused:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

1. SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Your arse

This whole thing is a good argument for civility in politics.
    It may be reasonable to expect that Varadkar should just suck it up and move on (which he has done increasing my respect for him).

But why should Nift's daughter be expected to have to hear it?

Why should some teenager realising he's a gay have to hear it?

Holohan should come out with a real apology and admit he was talking ****e.

Would he say it about Darren Randolph?

Holohan has apologised to the person he owed an apology to ( eventhough it was weak) and Leo to his credit accepted it. As for talking ****e? That's not a revelation tbh.
    As bad as Holohan is, I don't think he should be blamed for what another posters daughter hears.
    Racist comments will never be stopped as long as people have independent thought, not justifying racism just stating a fact. I'm in my late 40's heard that type of crap when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Your arse

This whole thing is a good argument for civility in politics.

Hmmmm.....

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Didn't even make the weekly review on SoR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Holohan has apologised to the person he owed an apology to ( eventhough it was weak) and Leo to his credit accepted it. As for talking ****e? That's not a revelation tbh.
    As bad as Holohan is, I don't think he should be blamed for what another posters daughter hears.
    Racist comments will never be stopped as long as people have independent thought, not justifying racism just stating a fact. I'm in my late 40's heard that type of crap when I was a kid.
    Here's the guy I like least in Irish politics getting insulted , taking it on the chin, making a sensible point in response, accepting the half apology, not lowering himself to anyone else's level.
    Like it actually makes me a bit 'proud' that he's Taoiseach; but I hate him.

It shows what a good politician Varadkar is.

And of course the next time he apologises Sinn Fein can't say 'an apology isn't good enough'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Surely inflation linked over the 9 year period that the law and order party have been in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

As a gay man of mixed heritage, I sit comfortably within the same demographic as Leo Varadkar.

That being said, I'm not a Leo or FG supporter.

However, leaving political affiliations aside, Holohan's comments, when read as a whole, while not explicit, contain both racist and homophobic undertones, which I deem offensive (I was not personally offended as such were not directed at me).

Statements with racist and homophobic underpinnings should not be uttered by any elected representative, particularly when such minorities exist within his own constituency, it invariably create an "us" and "them" scenario which should be forever avoided in a democratic society priding itself on purported inclusivity.

Also, Holohan, as well as a Councillor, is a former UFC fighter, therefore, a huge portion of his fan base is likely to be made up of teenagers/people in their early 20's, an exceptionally delicate age demographic when it comes to realising/figuring out/accepting one's sexuality. Unhelpful and misguided comments pertaining to sexuality can, invariably, legitimize more extreme incidences of homophobia on a 'ground level'.

It goes without saying, its an exceptionally slippery slope and the comments, irrespective of their intention, should never have been made and Holohan should, at the very least, acknowledge that fact.

smurgen wrote: »
    Surely inflation linked over the 9 year period that the law and order party have been in place?

That €110 million was the increase from 2018 to 2019, so inflation wouldn’t be a big issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No way!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

dobby896 wrote: »
    As a gay man of mixed heritage, I sit comfortably within the same demographic as Leo Varadkar.

That being said, I'm not a Leo or FG supporter.

However, leaving political affiliations aside, Holohan's comments, when read as a whole, while not explicit, contain both racist and homophobic undertones, which I deem offensive (I was not personally offended as such were not directed at me).

Statements with racist and homophobic underpinnings should not be uttered by any elected representative, particularly when such minorities exist within his own constituency, it invariably create an "us" and "them" scenario which should be forever avoided in a democratic society priding itself on purported inclusivity.

Also, Holohan, as well as a Councillor, is a former UFC fighter, therefore, a huge portion of his fan base is likely to be made up of teenagers/people in their early 20's, an exceptionally delicate age demographic when it comes to realising/figuring out/accepting one's sexuality. Unhelpful and misguided comments pertaining to sexuality can, invariably, legitimize more extreme incidences of homophobia on a 'ground level'.

It goes without saying, its an exceptionally slippery slope and the comments, irrespective of their intention, should never have been made and Holohan should, at the very least, acknowledge that fact.

paddy is on a learning curve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

F**king hell. His podcast is well titled though, I’ll give it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, Paddy's gone and no loss.

'Comments are beyond offensive and I actually find them upsetting'

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1218157516233891845?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Or Leo, like me and many others see it for what it is. A clumsy and rambling attempt to make a point about something.
    Not the first or last polirician to do that.

Yeah, racism, homophobia and now underage girls blackmailing older men over sex, you are defending a really nice person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

He has to be gone now. Has no business being an elected representative

He has to be gone now. Has no business being an elected representative

Why? It’s not like he abducted, tortured and killed someone.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yeah, racism, homophobia and now underage girls blackmailing older men over sex, you are defending a really nice person.

If calling somebody, stupid, not very clever, rambling, incoherent, is defending him. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only realising he isn't standing in this election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

According to the Joe.ie link these latest comments were from the same podcast, you'd have to wonder did no one at SFHQ think to listen to it all before deciding to initially back him after his apology.

Taking all the comments made it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt on the homophobic comments.

FG should take a leaf out of SF's book here in fairness. They closed down this story very quickly if you compare it to Enda or even more recent stories like RIC/DMP.
    They unequivocally separated themselves from Holohan's remarks and demanded publicly that he apologise.

FG dither around passing the buck and blaming/not blaming others in the party and create a bigger ****show. They really should learn.

https://www.joe.ie/politics/sinn-fein-distances-paddy-holohan-councillor-suggested-underage-girls-making-false-rape-claims-blackmailing-men-691115

Day 2 and your friend is criticising women over false rape claims.

Racism, homophobia and now misogyny, I suppose we should be glad he hasn't made a false insurance claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd say they're listening to the whole back catalogue now and getting ready to cut their loses with him. If all that's just from one episode, god know what else is there.

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.joe.ie/politics/sinn-fein-distances-paddy-holohan-councillor-suggested-underage-girls-making-false-rape-claims-blackmailing-men-691115

Day 2 and your friend is criticising women over false rape claims.

Racism, homophobia and now misogyny, I suppose we should be glad he hasn't made a false insurance claim.

Day 1: Paddy Holohan is stupid and a fool.

Day 2: Paddy Holohan is stupid and a fool.

I suppose we should be glad SF haven't clung on trying to vindicate him and defend him, until they embarrassingly have to admit defeat and de-select him.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If calling somebody, stupid, not very clever, rambling, incoherent, is defending him. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only realising he isn't standing in this election.

Yes. You rushed into blindly defend.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Day 1: Paddy Holohan is stupid and a fool.

Day 2: Paddy Holohan is stupid and a fool.

I suppose we should be glad SF haven't clung on trying to vindicate him and defend him, until they embarrassingly have to admit defeat and de-select him.

They haven't?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sfs-mcdonald-backs-councillor-who-criticised-taoiseach-over-indian-blood-38869493.html

"Sinn Féin South Dublin county councillor Louise Dunne issued a statement in support of Mr Holohan.

Ms Dunne said Mr Holohan's comments were taken "out of context" and added Fine Gael "ain't fit to tie" his boots. "Don't you dare ever apologize (sic) for being who you are. Keep being you & stay real. We love you," the councillor said."

Does Louise think that female victims of rape are lying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I suppose we should be glad SF haven't clung on trying to vindicate him and defend him.

They did at first.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement