Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jaysus!
    Sinn Féin again distances itself from Paddy Holohan after councillor suggested underage girls are making false rape claims and blackmailing men

Mr Holohan was interviewing Terry McMahon, the film-maker, when the pair started discussing female-only fitness classes. The Sinn Féin councillor, a former MMA fighter, suggested that he would be criticised for having male-only classes.

Mr Holohan replied:"Now, saying that, I just want to stop you on that, there is some ****ing scum women out there as well. And I just want to say to you, there’s a situation that I heard during the week... somebody was underage, the [other] person didn’t know they were underage, the girl pursued the guy. Got whatever she needed, had pictures, had videos, and then said 'I want 10 grand'.

The pair went on to discuss the ethics of always believing victims of sexual violence. Mr Holohan suggested that men suffered from double standards, and said a woman could joke about chopping a man's dick off, but a man can't joke about his"bitch" getting into bed, and her annoying him so much that he"strangled her and boxed the head off her".

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They did at first.

Not aware that they did. Can you link?

Holohan is stupid and a fool. I still don't think his comments were racist or homophobic though.

The guy doesn't seem to have the coherence to actually make a cogent point. I said that from first comment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nearly a Jonathan Dowdall level fück up by the Shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not aware that they did. Can you link?

Holohan is stupid and a fool. I still don't think his comments were racist or homophobic though.

The guy doesn't seem to have the coherence to actually make a cogent point. I said that from first comment here.

Where do you get that they are not standing by him? Everyone else thinks they are.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/editorial-sinn-fein-fails-vital-test-as-parties-jostle-for-votes-38869540.html

"The only thing more shocking than the appalling remarks made by Sinn Féin Councillor Paddy Holohan about Taoiseach Leo Varadkar was the fact the party is standing by him."

"party leader Mary Lou McDonald felt she did not believe Mr Holohan - who topped the poll in Tallaght South - should resign and nor would he be removed from the party."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

blanch152 wrote: »

"party leader Mary Lou McDonald felt she did not believe Mr Holohan - who topped the poll in Tallaght South - should resign and nor would he be removed from the party."

That's changed now. She's lost two days of campaigning to him now and with so much that she could throw at Fine Gael over the last few days to be stuck answering questions about some Conor McGregor lackey will have her ready to dump him entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He probably hasn't broken any party rules. Being an idiot is not grounds to eject him. As others have suggested they need to comb through the rest of his podcasts. I think they'll admonish him but will own it for the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes. You rushed into blindly defend.

This x1000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This is a free country , he is entitled to speak his mind, i genuinely dont believe he meant any harm in what he said. People should have more respect for councillors, everyone says stupid things sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

blanch152 wrote: »
    Where do you get that they are not standing by him? Everyone else thinks they are.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/editorial-sinn-fein-fails-vital-test-as-parties-jostle-for-votes-38869540.html

"The only thing more shocking than the appalling remarks made by Sinn Féin Councillor Paddy Holohan about Taoiseach Leo Varadkar was the fact the party is standing by him."

Thats an INdo editorial piece, not fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    This is a free country , he is entitled to speak his mind, i genuinely dont believe he meant any harm in what he said. People should have more respect for councillors, everyone says stupid things sometimes.

Whether he meant harm are not, the statements are harmful.

• Advertisement

I am sure, there are people now looking back at what else he said on this podcast. How many podcats has he done? Over 100 I think. No doubt there will be other little tidbits of random nasties and disgustingness to be found.

Unlike SF, they are normally a well-oiled machine, but it appears MLD is out of her depth. This is going to bite her and the weekend press coverage will be filled about this stuff on how she is losing control, especially as McGregor is fighting over the weekend.

Let's be honest here, SF has recently skirted between the liberal woke bridge to the nasty Irish supremacist divide. They should pick one side because at the moment, they are falling between two stools.

It also makes a mockery at those that defended him and his views. Egg.on.face.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Speaking your mind and using a platform you do not own to do so are two very different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Of course he is, but that doesn't mean he should also escape the consequences of speaking his mind.

The free speech/free country line gets trotted out every time when someone says something stupid by people who obviously don't understand what it means.

As an elected councilour he should mind his mouth and not come out with racist dog whistles about 'Indian Blood', or misogynistic crap about 'sluts' as he put it.

It's one thing to say something stupid as a once-off, but this guy has form now. It's without doubt now that he is a bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,871 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Of course he is, but that doesn't mean he should also escape the consequences of speaking his mind.

The free speech/free country line gets trotted out every time when someone says something stupid by people who obviously don't understand what it means.

And he isn't escaping. He has been suspended apparently.

Councillors have a habit of embarrassing the main party in this country.

This guy is no more indicative of the entire party as two councillors in my constituency are of the FG party. 'Loadsa Money Man' and 'Broken Glass Man'

how the party deal with him is the relevant issue. And they seem to have acted quickly here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I'm aware of that, my comment was in response to IAMAMORON saying
    This is a free country , he is entitled to speak his mind,
    thus implying that he should be allowed say what he wants without fear of repercussion.

Penn wrote: »

To be honest, they should have done this yesterday but a day late none the less is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,871 ✭✭✭✭Penn

markodaly wrote: »
    To be honest, they should have done this yesterday but a day late none the less is welcome.

I think one of the comments he made on its own could have been "apologise and move on", two is "we're going to look into this", and the new one about underage girls being sluts and bribing older men is three strikes, and suspending him before any more past comments he's likely made comes to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭hawley

He should have been dumped from the party yesterday. The latest remarks are shocking. He is isn't of a suitable calibre for the Dáil. Hopefully he won't be brought forward for election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

hawley wrote: »
    He should have been dumped from the party yesterday. The latest remarks are shocking. He is isn't of a suitable calibre for the Dáil. Hopefully he won't be brought forward for election.

He wasn't running for the Dail, he's a sitting councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Paddy's a good guy, popular with all his students and his heart is in the right place but he should stay away from politics. He's just a lad from jobstown, he's not cut out for it.

Penn wrote: »
    I think one of the comments he made on its own could have been "apologise and move on", two is "we're going to look into this", and the new one about underage girls being sluts and bribing older men is three strikes, and suspending him before any more past comments he's likely made comes to light.

Oh for sure. The fact that all these comments came from just one podcast is unreal. There will definitely be other nasty stuff said in the other 100+ podcasts he made.

He should be thrown out of the party tbh. His podcasts will be a treasure trove for opponents to pick up on. Remember, he was elected a councilor only 6 months ago. The question will be asked, what were SF thinking having this guy on the books? Any due diligence?

It will come back to MLD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Councillors have a habit of embarrassing the main party in this country.

This guy is no more indicative of the entire party as two councillors in my constituency are of the FG party. 'Loadsa Money Man' and 'Broken Glass Man'

how the party deal with him is the relevant issue. And they seem to have acted quickly here.

So do you agree with his suspension given you think his remarks were not homophobic or racist or misogynistic?

jh79 wrote: »
    So do you agree with his suspension given you think his remarks were not homophobic or racist or misogynistic?

Well I said way at the start of the thread that i thought he was stupid and incoherent and I wouldn't vote for him in a fit.

So I wouldn't have had him in the party to begin with.
    I think the important thing for a party as opposed to an individual is that the party has to act quickly to disassociate and to discipline if necessary.

Seems to have happened here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Well I said way at the start of the thread that i thought he was stupid and incoherent and I wouldn't vote for him in a fit.

I think the important thing for a party as opposed to an individual is that the party has to act quickly to disassociate and to discipline if necessary.

I do not agree. People should be entitled to speak from their hearts. Total overeaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

But you don't believe he said anything homophobic or racist or misogynistic, so why do you agree with his suspension if he is not guilty of any of those things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I do not agree. People should be entitled to speak from their hearts. Total overeaction.

He is entitled to speak from his heart. No one is suggesting he should be censored. But all actions have consequences. Mary Lou is trying to turn SF into a progressive party, and the nature of party politics is you tow the line on party positions or go your own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Good to see a party act swiftly against one of its members. If he wants to talk that type of sh!t let him off ( let the authorities deal with him if warranted)but he should enjoy no party support. Again nice to see swift action.
    A sitting TD who tried to shake down a business for 20k never got kicked out of their party even after it did damage at the local elections. Ah well I guess some parties have a higher standard.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    But you don't believe he said anything homophobic or racist or misogynistic, so why do you agree with his suspension if he is not guilty of any of those things?

Because he is stupid and rude and incoherent and I wouldn't have had him in the party to begin with?

If SF think he was racist and homophobic and now misogynistic they are totally correct to dump him out.

Advertisement