Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Because he is stupid and rude and incoherent and I wouldn't have had him in the party to begin with?

If SF think he was racist and homophobic and now misogynistic they are totally correct to dump him out.

but you dont agree that he was racist and homophobic so how can you agree with the party suspending him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

There is nothing progressive about stoping people speaking their minds.

What sort of a country do you want ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really doesn't surprise me at all that Holohan was reading from the "loads of women are scheming whores" playbook. It fits very well with the racism and homophobia, they're 3 specific things that usually appear together in niche communities of angry male losers; John Waters, the people who support g o'd, that moron in the UK and that other british ex-soldier who came over here talking about celtic purity and irishness.

He'll have a column on gript this time next week and someone from the Iona institute will be around, defending Holohan's right to free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

but you dont agree that he was racist and homophobic so how can you agree with the party suspending him?

If SF think he was racist and homophobic and now misogynistic they are totally correct to dump him out.

As I said a few times now, I wouldn't have had him in the party to begin with.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    There is nothing progressive about stoping people speaking their minds.

What sort of a country do you want ?

nobody is stopping him from speaking his mind. but you cant expect to say anything you want with repurcussions.

• Advertisement

As I said a few times now, I wouldn't have had him in the party to begin with.

but you dont think he is racist and homophobic which means you think SF are wrong to think he is racist and homophobic and are wrong to dump him out. that is pretty straightforward logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,370 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They are right to drop him

More worrying is who ever thought him a good fit in the first place?

walshb wrote: »
    They are right to drop him

More worrying is who ever thought him a good fit in the first place?

he appeals to a certain demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,370 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

nobody is stopping him from speaking his mind. but you cant expect to say anything you want with repurcussions.
    NAIL ON THE HEAD

Also he isn't just insulting Leo - he's implying everyone mixed race isn't as Irish as the rest of us. Fair play to Varadkar for just taking it on the chin and moving on but it's an insult to other people to like Nift's daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

wasnt sinn féin Pro abortion? so thats as low a bench mark as u can get

LaFuton wrote: »

Pro abortion rights certainly and 2/3rds of the country agreed with them so not such a low benchmark at all.

but you dont think he is racist and homophobic which means you think SF are wrong to think he is racist and homophobic and are wrong to dump him out. that is pretty straightforward logic.

Yes, I do. I thought I'd made that clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

LaFuton wrote: »

So was Lab/FF/FG but I think you are confusing pro abortion with what all parties actually campaigned for which was ProChoice. You know the woman's right to decide upon her own health etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Everyone says things that other people do not agree with. But suspending members is pointless. He is a councillor with a mandate, he deserves more respect.

Everyone says things that other people do not agree with. But suspending members is pointless. He is a councillor with a mandate, he deserves more respect.

after the ****e he came out with he deserves no respect. He embarrassed the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well, it could be worse, he could be in the IRA. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

You can’t have your cake and eat it. If you want to be able to say whatever you want, run as an independent. If you want SF votes, funding, resources, canvassers etc, you’ve got to tow the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

markodaly wrote: »
    Well, it could be worse, he could be in the IRA. :o
    Michael Collins was in the 'Ra!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Oh great, another one. Have you been taking talking points from the other resident apologist on this topic as well?

Just because he is a councilor doesn't give him free rein to talk **** and get away with it.

• Advertisement

He doesn't lose his seat, or the right to speak, he just doesn't have the party banner to sit under, or the party machine behind him. 'Loadsa Money' up here is still a councillor.

after the ****e he came out with he deserves no respect. He embarrassed the party.

Ah now considering the history of some members of SF , while not good optics in the run up to a GE. To suggest the party is embarrassed is stretching things.

Michael Collins was in the 'Ra!

Collins was also in SInn Fein.

Ah now considering the history of some members of SF , while not good optics in the run up to a GE. To suggest the party is embarrassed is stretching things.

fair point. that would be a very high bar indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why?!?!?

Why are people being held accountable for the things they say??!?!

What about free speech? I thought this was America! Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

The threshold for embarrassment is lowered considerably in election season.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Definitely an embarrassing thorn in SF's new 'woke' side imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

This is a free country , he is entitled to speak his mind, i genuinely dont believe he meant any harm in what he said. People should have more respect for councillors, everyone says stupid things sometimes.

In this day and age of PC his comments were unacceptable and if he doesn't resign himself he may be forced to-it probably depends on if adverse publicity starts to affect the SF leaders who will drop him like a hot stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

dobby896 wrote: »
    Definitely an embarrassing thorn in SF's new 'woke' side imo

They're going to have a bit of a job reconciling the new, cuddly "hyper-woke" SF with some of their membership with, shall we say, lower hairlines and oddly rounded shoulders. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Why are people trying to hold someone accountable for the things they say??!?!

People should absolutely be accountable for what they say.

I don't however think that calling what he said about Leo racist or homophobic is accurate.

I don't like the man and I don't like sinn fein but I think this has been blown out of all proportion.

Advertisement