Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ironicname wrote: »
    People should absolutely be accountable for what they say.

I don't however think that calling what he said about Leo racist or homophobic is accurate.

Well lots of people, including the political party that he's a member of, disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Reminds me of the Tory leadership election in 2016.

Andrea Ledsom stated that she would be better suited to running the UK as she is a mother and therefore has a stake in the future well-being of the country- Teresa May is childless and therefore does not have a stake in the future. Can you imagine if a man had said that?

Was Holohan's comment really any different?

I think it was pretty tame compared to some of the rubbish spouted by UK politicians over here during the last 12 months.

Lads love to start huffing and puffing with indignation but remember taking offense is a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Why?!?!?

Why are people being held accountable for the things they say??!?!

What about free speech? I thought this was America! Ireland.

This is Mary Lou's Sinn Fein. It's to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

People should absolutely be accountable for what they say.

I don't however think that calling what he said about Leo racist or homophobic is accurate.

I don't like the man and I don't like sinn fein but I think this has been blown out of all proportion.
    It was absolutely racist, no one in their right mind could see it for anything else.

I note that he also made some disparaging comments about girls, of course using the "I'm a father of boys" defence to explain why he holds such poisonous views towards women. Naturally if he had any daughters he would be bleating how worried he would be about them dealing with men.

He really is a complete moron, unable to conceptualise away from his own personal context. No wonder this idiot thinks people without children can't govern, he probably believes everyone is as incapable of observing object permanence as he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Well lots of people, including the political party that he's a member of, disagree.

Do you think the party would have had a problem with the statements if no-one picked up on it or are they just appeasing the mob to avoid being labelled homophobic and racist ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Reminds me of the Tory leadership election in 2016.

Andrea Ledsom stated that she would be better suited to running the UK as she is a mother and therefore has a stake in the future well-being of the country- Teresa May is childless and therefore does not have a stake in the future. Can you imagine if a man had said that?

Leadsom's comments were even more egregious imo, particularly in light of the fact that May and her husband were unable to conceive a child and had had several failed attempts at doing so.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It was absolutely racist, no one in their right mind could see it for anything else.

Forgive me and maybe I have missed the particular comment, but I am struggling to see any racist element in his comments.

Update

I see- he questioned Leo's commitment to Ireland on the basis his family are basically not Irish enough in his little mind.

While I would rather pull off my nails than vote FG, but personally I think it is fantastic to have a mixed heritage Taoiseach. Sick of twats in England still portraying Ireland as some backward 1950s catholic rife bog. I can point that that our Taoisech is mixed race and gay. The Indians I am friends with over here love it and surprised me that they knew.

It is a stupid comment for sure but I am not entirely convinced that is within my definition of 'racist'. It is definitely within my definition of stupidity. He has taken too many blows to the head. But stupidity is not the same as racism.

Racist- No (well, maybe he is but not solely on those comments)
    Stupid- Yes

strangle her and boxed the head off her

Kinda puts his "family man" comments into perspective.

Forgive me and maybe I have missed the particular comment, but I am struggling to see any racist element in his comments.
    Holohan claimed that Leo Varadkar's blood runs to India, therefore he wouldn't have the same "passion" for Ireland as someone whose parentage is exclusively Irish.

It's racist to the core, the kind of statement a white supremacist would make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It's gas with this new 21st century version of Sinn Fein, with one member says some hateful un-pc stuff and he gets suspended, yet not so long ago they had fully fledged IRA members/ ex IRA members (bombers & murderers) within their ranks, and they let them stay!

• Advertisement

The funny thing is, having listened to his interview with Gerry Adams, Holohan is the square root of clueless about the history of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Does anyone know in which podcast he made these comments or gave a link, has anyone actually heard these comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Does anyone know in which podcast he made these comments or gave a link, has anyone actually heard these comments?

His own podcast called No Offence .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

jh79 wrote: »
    His own podcast called No Offence .

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'd say every previous episode of his podcast has been downloaded by all other parties and being scrutinised for any other content that can be used to make mischief for SF and Mary Lou over the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

It's the nature of a certain members of society at the moment. The race to be offended on other people's behalves is intense and the media (both social and traditional) amplify the cries of the perpetually offended minority to such an extent that normal people fall into line in public, giving the impression that their censorship works.

Realistically though, that's how you get the likes of trump and Boris in power.

Silly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think some people should reflect before they post, and not just post knee-jerk defences of all things Sinn Fein.

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0116/1107829-sinn-fein-holohan/

"Sinn Féin has said one of its councillors should apologise and withdraw remarks after he said that a "family man" should run the country and Leo Varadkar's Indian heritage meant that he is "separated" from the history of this country.

The party said the comments were not the views of Sinn Féin."

"In a statement, Sinn Féin said: "Paddy Holohan has made comments on his podcast that have caused offence and are quite obviously not the views of Sinn Féin. He should apologise and withdraw these remarks.""

Very surprised, but pleased that Sinn Fein have moved so quickly to disassociate themselves from this odious person.

This thread really has been an eye-opener to the types of attitudes prevalent in Irish society with so many unable to see the offensive nature of the remarks and dismissing them so readily. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves, allowing your political blinkers to blind yourselves to the reality. Fair play to the Sinn Fein leadership for showing some courage on the issue.

Virulent anti SF Unionist poster who spends all his time on here attacking SF become extradordinary Gay rights hero all of a sudden LOLZ.

It's the nature of a certain members of society at the moment. The race to be offended on other people's behalves is intense and the media (both social and traditional) amplify the cries of the perpetually offended minority to such an extent that normal people fall into line in public, giving the impression that their censorship works.

Silly
    Who's being offended on other people's behalves exactly?

Silly

Ironically Trump and Johnson have been the biggest 'offenders' but yet they have made their way to the top (or bottom) in this apparently uber PC age.

Taking offense is a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sinn Fein probably did the right thing politically here. As the phrase that the cool kids love to use now applies to Paddy Holohan he is 'toxic'

But I can't help contrast Sinn Fein's reaction to Paddy Holohan v the reaction they had in the case of Aine Adams and Liam Adams. Gerry Adams was completely unscathed by the issue as SF rushed to distance Gerry from the case.

They claimed that Gerry was without fault despite the fact that it was clear that Liam was treated 'differently' by virtue of the fact who his brother was.
    The storm was let pass and SF hope it blew over and words like 'healing' were used.

I just think it is an interesting juxtaposition. Paddy Holohan makes a few ill thought comments and he is shown the door. Liam Adams (brother of the leader of the party) sexually abuses his own daughter and SF do as little as possible.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein probably did the right think politically here. As the phrase that the cool kids love to use now applies to Paddy Holohan he is 'toxic'

But I can't help contrast Sinn Fein's reaction to Paddy Holohan v the reaction they had in the case of Aine Adams and Liam Adams. Gerry Adams was completely unscathed by the issue as SF rushed to distance Gerry from the case.

They claimed that Gerrtt was without fault despite the fact that it was clear that Liam was treated 'differently' by virtue of the fact who his brother was.
    The storm was let pass and SF hope it blew over and words like 'healing' were used.

I just think it is an interesting juxtaposition. Paddy Holohan makes a few ill thought comments and he is shown the door. Liam Adams (brother of the leader of the party) sexually abuses his own daughter and SF do as little as possible.

I do wonder how will the traditional SF voters view this.
    Will it turn them off Mary Lou even further?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Defended by Louis Dunne as well.

And this is her tweet from December. Oh the Irony.

https://twitter.com/LouiseDunneSF/status/1206304879897133057

The party is full of absolute gob****es. You can't have a Paddy and an Eoin in the same party. Its great on paper, culturally, socially fluid but it doesn't work. Their life experiences are completely different and they will never win the middle class vote hanging on to the paddy's of the World, as classist as that is. That's politics you have to appeal to certain demographics.

Some clueless people on this thread who can't see the inherent racism. Nothing to do with woke culture or whatever. Louise despite defending Paddy for it, obviously also thinks talk of generations and bloodlines is racist too. Obviously with all the sinn fein kite flying its hard to know which way the party wind blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Hopefully they let him remain, because it will cause no end of trouble for SF for the remainder of the election. Every reporter in the country will be asking him difficult questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well I said way at the start of the thread that i thought he was stupid and incoherent and I wouldn't vote for him in a fit.

So I wouldn't have had him in the party to begin with.
    I think the important thing for a party as opposed to an individual is that the party has to act quickly to disassociate and to discipline if necessary.

Seems to have happened here.

But they didnt act quickly until the mysogyny came out.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Holohan is lucky he's in the nice new shiny squeaky clean Sinn Fein under McDoughnut, coz in the old days he could well have ended up 'swimmin wit da fishes' or been confined to a wheelchair for being devoid of kneecaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I do wonder how will the traditional SF voters view this.
    Will it turn them off Mary Lou even further?

Yeah good point, many seem to view her as too 'Southern' and out of touch with NI as it is.

But it is a good move on the part of SF trying to 'soften' thier image in the long run.
    The gay rights route is a good way to do this.

Gerry started it with his inventive tweets about his Gay Teddy Bears -

https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/303285293711249408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.buzzfeed.com%2Fjimwaterson%2Futterly-bizarre-tweets-by-gerry-adams

That strategy was continued by Mary Lou making sure to be seen at Gay Pride.

Clz6tRZWIAACyOl.jpg

Reaction to Lyra McKee's murder

Mary-Lou-McDonald-Lyra-mcKee.jpg

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Ironically Trump and Johnson have been the biggest 'offenders' but yet they have made their way to the top (or bottom) in this apparently uber PC age.

Yup. In a time where people are afraid to speak their mind in case they get "cancelled" for not supporting the "cause-du-jour" or for not checking their privilege, it's not surprising they vote that way when they can do so anonymously.

Yeah good point, many seem to view her as too 'Southern' and out of touch with NI as it is.

But it is a good move on the part of SF trying to 'soften' thier image in the long run.
    The gay rights route is a good way to do this.

Gerry started it with his inventive tweets about his Gay Teddy Bears -

https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/303285293711249408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.buzzfeed.com%2Fjimwaterson%2Futterly-bizarre-tweets-by-gerry-adams

That strategy was continued by Mary Lou making sure to be seen at Gay Pride.

Clz6tRZWIAACyOl.jpg

Reaction to Lyra McKee's murder

Mary-Lou-McDonald-Lyra-mcKee.jpg

Didn't she do fairly badly in the local elections tough dispite all this stuff she's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

What a knob.

• Advertisement

What a knob.

Who Mary lou or Paddy or both?

Advertisement