Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Woke Hogan wrote:
    Who's being offended on other people's behalves exactly?

Oh I'm sorry. I don't have all the names of all the people. I'm sure you can find plenty on twitter and on here.

If you can't see a massive swell on people being offended for being offended's sake, then you are either willfully ignoring it or you are engaging in it.

In case your next step, which I'm sure it was, is to accuse me of saying that people should never stick up for others, that is not what I am saying at all.

It's the people who insist on being offended, consistently, purposefully and fervently when either no offence was intended or no offence was taken by the target.

They also have a habit of projecting their own or a more nefarious meaning onto statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Who Mary lou or Paddy or both?

Paddy.
    Saw him on tommy tiernan recently.
    The man was a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd say every previous episode of his podcast has been downloaded by all other parties and being scrutinised for any other content that can be used to make mischief for SF and Mary Lou over the next couple of weeks

He's delivering the solid gold already - SF have suspended him after other things he said about women and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

tipptom wrote: »
    Virulent anti SF Unionist poster who spends all his time on here attacking SF become extradordinary Gay rights hero all of a sudden LOLZ.

Always the victim with Sinn Fein and the messenger is the culprit.

Cop on, everything in the OP has been vindicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I genuinely don't think Paddy is racist or homophobic. He just isn't smart enough to host that type of podcast and his ignorance on almost every subject shone through the more he talked. As the subject drifted away from him he resorted to humour and bluster to compensate which doesn't work out well.

His podcast with Gerry Adams should have been a red flag for Sinn Fein. His lack of understanding of both the history of Sinn Fein and Republicanism in general was cringeworthy with Adams having to correct him on numerous occasions. He should have never been allowed to continue as it was inevitable that he would eventually create this sort of diversion. Sinn Fein should do the right thing and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hmmm wrote: »
    Hopefully they let him remain, because it will cause no end of trouble for SF for the remainder of the election. Every reporter in the country will be asking him difficult questions.
    He's not running in the election. He's a councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

blanch152 wrote: »
    Always the victim with Sinn Fein and the messenger is the culprit.

Stonewall phone you yet?

Your sudden concern for gay rights is nauseating when everyone knows your agenda.

Stonewall phone you yet?

Your sudden concern for gay rights is nauseating when everyone knows your agenda.

Stop telling lies.

Cazale wrote: »
    I genuinely don't think Paddy is racist or homophobic. He just isn't smart enough to host that type of podcast and his ignorance on almost every subject shone through the more he talked. As the subject drifted away from him he resorted to humour and bluster to compensate which doesn't work out well.

His podcast with Gerry Adams should have been a red flag for Sinn Fein. His lack of understanding of both the history of Sinn Fein and Republicanism in general was cringeworthy with Adams having to correct him on numerous occasions. He should have never been allowed to continue as it was inevitable that he would eventually create this sort of diversion. Sinn Fein should do the right thing and move on.

A huge amount of racism and homophobia is based on ignorance. Defending a racist on the basis that they are ignorant is not a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

blanch152 wrote:
    A huge amount of racism and homophobia is based on ignorance. Defending a racist on the basis that they are ignorant is not a defence.

It is. I just don't think Holohans comments are rooted in genuine hatred. He's just an eejit out of his depth trying to mimic McGregor and Joe Rogan of which he is neither. As I said Sinn Fein should cut their losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

hmmm wrote: »
    Hopefully they let him remain, because it will cause no end of trouble for SF for the remainder of the election. Every reporter in the country will be asking him difficult questions.

Unfortunately they have let him go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Let's be honest the last thing SF need is another fella with a beard - they have gone the lipstick route for a reason. Hopes to get more middle class voters, softer image etc.

Holohan would be a step backward working class, not the brightest lamp, a narrow view on history, male and has a beard.
    SF already get that demographic easily. So there is not much point in him is there? As he brings nothing new to the party. Unless you count the MMA angle which could have got a few more onside long term.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

It is. I just don't think Holohans comments are rooted in genuine hatred. He's just an eejit out of his depth trying to mimic McGregor and Joe Rogan of which he is neither. As I said Sinn Fein should cut their losses.

Being racist or homophobic doesn't stop at having genuine hate though. There were serious undertones to his comments and it's not acceptable at all. I don't blame straight people for not understanding how comments like these affect the LGBT community. I'm not overally outraged by his comments, it was more of an eye roll for me because we'll I'm used to it but that doesn't mean it's still acceptable.
    What I have a serious problem with is Straight people telling Gay people what is or isn't homophobic. That I have a serious problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Except the part where you suggest rural people are typical inferior to their Dublin counterparts then.

Hardly miles from the same trail of thought that's got Paddy by the scrote yet you're making out you're some sort a life coach throughout the thread.

Hatred is a strong emotion and not necessary to be racist or homophobic.

Someone who refuses to hire African-Irish may not hate them, just be uncomfortable around them, but they are still racist.

And, let's be clear, the charge is that his comments are homophobic and racist, not that he is a 24/7 racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

I'd say every previous episode of his podcast has been downloaded by all other parties and being scrutinised for any other content that can be used to make mischief for SF and Mary Lou over the next couple of weeks

Undoubtedly. But isn't it really strange that the Sinn Fein Brains Trust didn't scrutinise his ramblings before he put them up in the cloud!

Maybe Verona Murphy could consider recruiting him as her social media guru, now that SF have discarded him.

Except the part where you suggest rural people are typical inferior to their Dublin counterparts then.

Hardly miles from the same trail of thought that's got Paddy by the scrote yet you're making out you're some sort a life coach throughout the thread.

I probably went over the top with that comparison, but the point I was making was relevant in that we have seen such comments from the likes of Casey, Grealish and Murphy in the past (though to be fair to them, nowhere near as blatant) but not from urban politicians. In saying that is where I expected them to come from, I was reflecting the reality of past experience. In saying "a rural politician with the emotional intelligence of a Healy-Rae", I was not making a general point about rural people, but noting that these comments have mainly come from rural politicians in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Let#s be honest the last thing SF need is another fella with a beard - they have gone the lipstick route for a reason. Hopes to get more middle class voters, softer image etc.

Holohan would be a step backward working class, not the brightest lamp, a narrow view on history, male and has a beard.
    SF already get that demographic easily. So there is not much point in him is there as he brings noting new to the party. Unless you count the MMA angle which could have got a few more onside long term.

They don’t get that demographic as easily anymore. They haemorrhaged councillors at the last local election. A number of them quit the party because they thought Sinn Fein were too soft on crime.

Let’s look at North Tipperary. Whilst the dogs on the street knew the Syrians were causing trouble here in Thurles that AGS we’re ignoring, their hand picked candidate to replace David Doran (more on him in a second) she was defending letting these people into the country.

David Doran and Jim Ryan were the ones who went public with the Cabragh housing fiasco. The McCarty family were demanding the local authority provided land, stables and a stipend or else they wouldn’t take the houses. Sinn Fein publicly defended these people and Margaret Cash at the time.

David Doran and Seamie Morris had single handily built up the SF vote in North Tipperary. Morris claimed he was forced out of the party through harassment and rumours spread about it. David Doran quit the party because of them defending the McCarty families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I probably went over the top with that comparison, but the point I was making was relevant in that we have seen such comments from the likes of Casey, Grealish and Murphy in the past (though to be fair to them, nowhere near as blatant) but not from urban politicians. In saying that is where I expected them to come from, I was reflecting the reality of past experience. In saying "a rural politician with the emotional intelligence of a Healy-Rae", I was not making a general point about rural people, but noting that these comments have mainly come from rural politicians in the past.

So you sought to generalise that all people living outside of Dublin as having a similar mindset. Wow. You have something in common with the subject of your OP. Back peddle faster, you got called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He's just an eejit out of his depth trying to mimic McGregor and Joe Rogan of which he is neither.

In fairness, neither of those two are the McGregor or Joe Rogan they think they are either...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

putting my outrage outside, I wonder is there any truth to what he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

So ironically you were misrepresented in the same way Paddy said he had been despite those being his own words and you couldn't accept his apology.

Politicians I believed to be people too but you seem to think otherwise apparently it's okay to bash where someone comes from if they happen to work in the political field??

https://www.buzz.ie/news/paddy-holohan-under-fire-for-bizarre-leo-varadkar-comments-351209

Homophobic attacks on the Taoiseach are to be expected, but you would have thought they would come from a rural politician with the emotional intelligence of a Healy-Rae, but hearing it from a working-class Sinn Fein councillor is suprising on the face of it. It is a blatant form of homophobia - don't vote for the gay because he doesn't understand families - aimed at those who are less well-educated.

Dublin centric superiority complex at play here, it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sauce for the goose etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Stop telling lies.

Your a FG bot obsessed with SF and I mean obsessed.

if you were honest in your opening post towards your agenda instead of trying to dress it up in some faux concern about homophobia it would have been fine but trying to couch it behind serious society issues to further your agenda is wrong on so many levels

The best part of your vomit inducing post was and I quote," I hope this is a one off and not part of the SF playbook for this election".

It would be part of your wet dream if this happened again to SF and you could put up another opening post pretending to concerned about Gay rights.

Have a trawl back through all your posts and see what percentage does not involve SF and then get some sort of intervention and if not try and be honest with your posts.

Your a FG bot obsessed with SF and I mean obsessed.

Ah that's not fair , according to Blanch himself he is a Green party supporter who happens to throw a preference towards to FG and maybe Labour. I'm sure he has posted on the climate change threads.Although I would be inclined to agree on the SF obsession thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Paddy doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, you would think when he got away with what he said yesterday he would keep his gob shut but no he just kept digging that hole he is stuck in now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Paddy doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, you would think when he got away with what he said yesterday he would keep his gob shut but no he just kept digging that hole he is stuck in now.

If he doesn't know when to keep stum and keep what he really thinks to himself then he'll never be a trough scoffing bastid politician in this rotten bourgh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Smaller parties need to vet their candidates better if they are ever to challenge FFG. Tools like this guy make a party look utterly inept and even dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,590 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Virulent anti SF Unionist poster who spends all his time on here attacking SF become extradordinary Gay rights hero all of a sudden LOLZ.
    Attack the post, not the poster

Advertisement