Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

gmisk wrote: »
    I honestly have no clue about the first part of your response. However I don't think Gemma and Leo would get on...the fact he is gay and of Indian heritage wouldn't help....

Attack him on his policies and the lack of action on homelessness etc then? Why go for the fact he is gay and has Indian heritage?
    Nobody comment on the fact that he's gay except me and I said that it isn't a problem. Holohan said he'd prefer a family man .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nobody comment on the fact that he's gay except me and I said that it isn't a problem. Holohan said he'd prefer a family man .
    My point is plenty of people do.

seamus wrote: »
    If we want to give him the benefit of the doubt, it still doesn't look that much better for him. He's still saying that someone who doesn't have kids (or perhaps isn't a "family" person) isn't fit to be leader of the country. There's a whole swathe of the country excluded right there.

However, given his clear racism, it does seem more likely that he was using "family man" in the context of "not a gay man".
    That has to be deliberate anti Sinn Fein spinning or else snowflakery of a level that the Taoiseach has to be above.

My point is plenty of people do.
    I'm sure the typical FG member hates the fact that he's a gay half Indian. In the wider society people dislike him for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'm sure the typical FG member hates the fact that he's a gay half Indian. In the wider society people dislike him for other reasons.

Jesus, man, you’re losing it. This is a thread about SF by the way. Bit of a brass neck to be calling young Leo a sociopath when your own glorious leader for 35 years was disappearing mothers, giving the nod to bombing shopping centers, and sending his fat pedo brother over the border so he could continue to fiddle kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo Varadkar before coming out.
    "Two men cannot have a child, two women cannot have a child… That is a fact, nobody can deny otherwise. Every child has a right to a mother and father, and as much as possible, the State should try and vindicate that right, and that the right of a child to have a mother and father is much more important than the right of two men, or two women, to have a family."

Is leo homophobic?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Regardless of your political standpoint, the point made by Holohan was incredibly moot.

How many family men have we had running the country who have totally failed working/middle class families.

Unless there is some degree of financial or political gain involved, having a family does not automatically turn a politician into a more empathetic person.

McMurphy wrote: »

Is leo homophobic?
    No, he is Margaret Thatcher policies in a more acceptable package. That is from a while ago I would think?
    He just happens to be gay and have Indian heritage.

Is leo homophobic?

Not defending that comment whatsoever but internalised homophobia has a lot to answer for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That has to be deliberate anti Sinn Fein spinning or else snowflakery of a level that the Taoiseach has to be above.
    I don't think you even understand half of the words you're using in that post, given how it doesn't even slightly relate to mine.

Holohan made undeniably racist comments about Varadkar's inability to be a "real" Irish person. This rubbish is all over the place at the moment.

And he doesn't believe that people without a family are fit to leader. He said "men" specifically, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

There's no anti-SF spin there or "snowflakery". This is what Holohan said.

If we bring it down to brass tacks, he's clearly lacking in the savvy that would prevent others in politics from flapping their gums so carelessly, but also lacking any kind of broad perspective that would make him capable of representing a range of the electorate.

He's explicitly pointing out that he represents old Irish Nationalism with traditional family values. Nobody else need apply.

• Advertisement

I don't think you even understand half of the words you're using in that post, given how it doesn't even slightly relate to mine.

Holohan made undeniably racist comments about Varadkar's inability to be a "real" Irish person. This rubbish is all over the place at the moment.

And he doesn't believe that people without a family are fit to leader. He said "men" specifically, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

There's no anti-SF spin there or "snowflakery". This is what Holohan said.

If we bring it down to brass tacks, he's clearly lacking in the savvy that would prevent others in politics from flapping their gums so carelessly, but also lacking any kind of broad perspective that would make him capable of representing a range of the electorate.

He's explicitly pointing out that he represents old Irish Nationalism with traditional family values. Nobody else need apply.
    With MMA fighting skills you forgot that.
    He would be an embarrassment as a TD.

Similar to how the National Party use the slogan "Ireland is for the Irish" and attempt to deny its racist connotations.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.buzz.ie/news/paddy-holohan-under-fire-for-bizarre-leo-varadkar-comments-351209

An extraordinary podcast from a Sinn Fein councillor has just been published. In it he says that "he would like a "family man" and "someone who knows what it's like to have kids" running the country."

"Someone that knows what it’s like to have kids, maybe, hopefully, boys and girls, so when you’re creating policies and stuff that’s going to go on, you’re like: 'right, that makes sense'"

It's certainly not homophobic.

It is sexist though.

Swing and a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.buzz.ie/news/paddy-holohan-under-fire-for-bizarre-leo-varadkar-comments-351209

An extraordinary podcast from a Sinn Fein councillor has just been published. In it he says that "he would like a "family man" and "someone who knows what it's like to have kids" running the country."

"Someone that knows what it’s like to have kids, maybe, hopefully, boys and girls, so when you’re creating policies and stuff that’s going to go on, you’re like: 'right, that makes sense'"

This has yet to be picked up by the national newspapers or RTE, but it is only a matter of time before it comes to prominence. It is hardly a one-off either. Whether it is idiots with Kingsmill bread on their heads, leaders making speeches about how they will get the bastards in relation to unionists, or misogynistic attacks on Mairia Cahill, Sinn Fein have form with this type of political invective.

Homophobic attacks on the Taoiseach are to be expected, but you would have thought they would come from a rural politician with the emotional intelligence of a Healy-Rae,but hearing it from a working-class Sinn Fein councillor is suprising on the face of it. It is a blatant form of homophobia - don't vote for the gay because he doesn't understand families - aimed at those who are less well-educated.

I hope that it is a one-off and not part of the Sinn Fein playbook for this election. With the loss of votes to Aontu, the frequent complaints about Sinn Fein moving away from its core, I can see how this type of nod and wink to more conservative republicans would be designed to keep votes that were drifting, but hopefully this isn't so as it is a complete disgrace. We see the comments on here from many who decry Sinn Fein adopting a liberal agenda and also there are the more insidious references to Varadkar's sexuality which are excused as having the craic.

Let's hope that Mary-Lou gets on top of this, apologises to the Taoiseach for the remarks, and removes this odious man from her party.

But of a rural phobia opener there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I literally posted the words he said...so how so?

Where did he say that he was not a true Irish Man? You made that part up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's either a dog-whistle to attract the homophobic vote for SF or yer man in a complete fcuking moron.

TBH I could make an argument for either scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Is leo homophobic?

flol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Boggles wrote:
    It is sexist though.

Funny how people who are clamouring for gender quotas to increase female representation or even the running of an election campaign in America based purely on being a woman isn't sexist, yet a man saying he would like another man as leader is definitely sexist.

dobby896 wrote: »
    Similar to how the National Party use the slogan "Ireland is for the Irish" and attempt to deny its racist connotations.
    I am not sure they attempt to deny being a far right group.

Racist/xenophobic example
    Take your pick!
    But there leader has extolled the virtues of racial profiling a lot.

Homophobic example
    Garda whistleblower John Wilson walked out of the far-right National Party’s ard fheis in protest after Justin Barrett, its president, said the party was “only for straight Irish people” and derided the “gayness” of taoiseach Leo Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CrankyHaus wrote: »

https://twitter.com/AcidHaze/status/1217512629461307395

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's either a dog-whistle to attract the homophobic vote for SF or yer man in a complete fcuking moron.

TBH I could make an argument for either scenario.

Spot on with the moron bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dobby896 wrote: »
    Sinn Féin do seem to be on a huge "woke path" as of late, therefore, I'm actually quite surprised by his comments. However, I do believe he has been misrepresented, his comments can be manipulated in multiple ways to fit a rhetoric. Inference will get us nowhere.

Paddy wouldnt be the brightest but he's an ordinary working class fella, unlike most SF candidates so he's going to be waaay off message in the whole woke stakes.

Is he running for the Dáil? That's a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I hate sinn Fein but I hate the fact that everything is a "phobia" or an "ism" if someone else decides to take offence even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

This is just a Sinn Fein bashing thread lads, that's all the opening poster wants, a deflection.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Ah come on now read the direct quotes it's pretty clear what he was saying.

Sinn fein have asked him to apologise btw...
    "He should apologise and withdraw these remarks"

Ironicname wrote: »
    Funny how people who are clamouring for gender quotas to increase female representation or even the running of an election campaign in America based purely on being a woman isn't sexist, yet a man saying he would like another man as leader is definitely sexist.

The 3 leaders of his party are women.

If he is not been a tad sexist he is just been a dribbling simpleton.

Either way, he definitely isn't being homophobic, because a gay man can be a family man.

I am not sure they attempt to deny being a far right group.

Racist/xenophobic example
    Take your pick!
    But there leader has extolled the virtues of racial profiling a lot.

Homophobic example
    Garda whistleblower John Wilson walked out of the far-right National Party’s ard fheis in protest after Justin Barrett, its president, said the party was “only for straight Irish people” and derided the “gayness” of taoiseach Leo Varadkar

They certainly do not deny their right-wing nature but always defend accusations of racism and homophobia, i.e. "you can't say anything without being labelled a racist".

Overall, not to detract from the OP, the National Party are vile.

Ironicname wrote: »
    So?

You know, general election, female part leaders, etc.

Too nuanced? We will leave it there so.

As you were lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭hawley

Very surprised at those homophobic comments from Paddy. I saw him on the Tommy Tiernan show and he came across as quite a thoughtful guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

hawley wrote: »
    Very surprised at those homophobic comments from Paddy. I saw him on the Tommy Tiernan show and he came across as quite a thoughtful guy.

The OP hasn't managed to do it , so can you point out the homophobic comments from Paddy? Personally I think he is a moron for some of his comments.

Advertisement