Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Smaller parties need to vet their candidates better if they are ever to challenge FFG. Tools like this guy make a party look utterly inept and even dodgy.

In the local elections in my area last year.
    Sinn Fein did brutally.
    I've no idea how you could select her to represent your party if they spoke to anybody from the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

In the local elections in my area lasy year.
    Sinn Fein did brutally.
    I've no idea how you could select her to represent your party if they spoke to anybody from the area.

I have no idea what you are saying. Have you been drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have no idea what you are saying. Have you been drinking?

Sinn Fein picked a brutal candidate for the local elections in my area last year.
    If they spoke to anybody locally or did any bit of research they wouldn't have selected her.
    I suspect that's why they may have done so badly in the local elections last and picked people like Paddy.

I haven't been drinking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Sinn Fein picked a brutal candidate for the local elections in my area last year.
    If they spoke to anybody locally or did any bit of research they wouldn't have selected her.
    I suspect that's why they may have done so badly in the local elections last and picked people like Paddy.

I haven't been drinking.

Gotcha. Yeah selection process is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

tipptom wrote: »
    Your a FG bot obsessed with SF and I mean obsessed.

if you were honest in your opening post towards your agenda instead of trying to dress it up in some faux concern about homophobia it would have been fine but trying to couch it behind serious society issues to further your agenda is wrong on so many levels

The best part of your vomit inducing post was and I quote," I hope this is a one off and not part of the SF playbook for this election".

It would be part of your wet dream if this happened again to SF and you could put up another opening post pretending to concerned about Gay rights.

Have a trawl back through all your posts and see what percentage does not involve SF and then get some sort of intervention and if not try and be honest with your posts.

Wow, just wow.

The man has been suspended from Sinn Fein 24 hours after I called it, yet I am the problem?

I am just another anonymous internet poster who calls it as he sees it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

blanch152 wrote: »
    Wow, just wow.

The man has been suspended from Sinn Fein 24 hours after I called it, yet I am the problem?

I am just another anonymous internet poster who calls it as he sees it.

You're not the bot but I'd wager given the chance a large portion of those thanking the pro holohan posts on the first page wouldnt be so keen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Wow, just wow.

I am just another anonymous internet poster who calls it as he sees it.[/QUOTE

You called nothing and his suspension had nothing to do with your usual irrational bile about one party masquerading as faux concern about homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You called nothing and his suspension had nothing to do with your usual irrational bile about one party masquerading as faux concern about homophobia.

Oh please. Lay off the beer for the night. You are making yourself look foolish.

You're not the bot but I'd wager given the chance a large portion of those thanking the pro holohan posts on the first page wouldnt be so keen now.

Why would they and withdraw their thanks,holohans suspension had nothing to do with Stonewall Blanches post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Smaller parties need to vet their candidates better if they are ever to challenge FFG. Tools like this guy make a party look utterly inept and even dodgy.

Your right but in the age of social media how many of us can really say we are 100% squeaky clean?

If you plan on entering politics you these days you can not leave any stone unturned. Someone will be rooting...

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Oh please. Lay off the beer for the night. You are making yourself look foolish.

Oh,I see the concerned Unionists for gay rights brigade is out in force tonight!!b

You want to to make smart statements from your computer but haven't rebutted my assertion that Holohan has not been suspended for what Stonewall Blanche posted.

Still a little bitter about your celebration of your RIC/DMP/Tansfest being cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Your right but in the age of social media how many of us can really say we are 100% squeaky clean?

If you plan on entering politics you these days you can not leave any stone unturned. Someone will be rooting...

There is nobody 100% squeaky clean.

There is an argument that you should only be judged on your actions and pronouncements after you have entered public life, on the other hand, what if there is a clear hypocritical link to your past.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ChikiChiki wrote: »

In the modern age keeping councillors in check must be a nightmare. They have track record of causing issues.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/leo-varadkar-pressured-to-condemn-racist-remarks-made-by-fine-gael-councillor-452748.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/fine-gael-investigating-mayors-race-comments-285373-Nov2011/

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-forced-to-grapple-with-another-internal-row-as-it-investigates-alleged-racist-slur-38287147.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Oh,I see the concerned Unionists for gay rights brigade is out in force tonight!!b

Unionists? Christ!

Why not call me West Brit/Tory/Prod while you are at it. :rolleyes:

In actual fact, your comments bring it right back to the OP, in nice way, about the lack of 'Irish Blood' in Leo and one has to be the correct Irish person for some.

Irish Supremacist views right on display right here.

markodaly wrote: »
    Unionists? Christ!

Why not call me West Brit/Tory/Prod while you are at it. :rolleyes:

In actual fact, your comments bring it right back to the OP, in nice way, about the lack of 'Irish Blood' in Leo and one has to be the correct Irish person for some.

Irish Supremacist views right on display right here.

A Unionist calling someone a supremacist LOLZ

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You sir are the king of whataboutery!

Congratulations!!

Calling it as I see it. The only reason a 'councillor' saying the wrong thing is headline news today is an election campaign. How many threads of concern got started on the three links in my post? And there are many many more instances were councillors went off script.
    Political party's, all of them are representative of society and the intelligence of some in society. Like many other councillors Paddy Holohan is well down that pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Why would they and withdraw their thanks,holohans suspension had nothing to do with Stonewall Blanches post.

What holohan said is fine and varadkar is a snowflake despite not being the one to raise the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Except the part where you suggest rural people are typical inferior to their Dublin counterparts then.

Hardly miles from the same trail of thought that's got Paddy by the scrote yet you're making out you're some sort a life coach throughout the thread.

I'm guessing most people missed the little passage where Blanch suggested these comments are more in keeping with rural people as opposed to working class Dubliners. His suggestion was it was a Healy Rae type mind set. In his rush to condemn Paddy he behaved in the same manner displaying his own bigotry towards rural people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I'm guessing most people missed the little passage where Blanch suggested these comments are more in keeping with rural people as opposed to working class Dubliners. His suggestion was it was a Healy Rae type mind set. In his rush to condemn Paddy he behaved in the same manner displaying his own bigotry towards rural people.

Hey, that's not fair.

You can't judge people on their poorly chosen words and automatically assume the worst possible meaning when there could be plenty less inflammatory meanings....

I mean, who the hell would do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Was this beardy weirdo not suspended because of his comments about under age girls blackmailing people?

Ironicname wrote: »
    Hey, that's not fair.

You can't judge people on their poorly chosen words and automatically assume the worst possible meaning when there could be plenty less inflammatory meanings....

I mean, who the hell would do that?
    Blanch has held Paddy to a standard and that's fair, however by his own words he has cast a slur on people who live outside of Dublin , surely he should hold himself to the same standard he demands of others. He should apologize for the slur he has cast on rural dwellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Blanch has held Paddy to a standard and that's fair, however by his own words he has cast a slur on people who live outside of Dublin , surely he should hold himself to the same standard he demands of others. He should apologize for the slur he has cast on rural dwellers.

Think you missed my sarcasm there... :)

Ironicname wrote: »
    Think you missed my sarcasm there... :)

I knew it was sarcasm, but it's no harm to highlight the hypocrisy of the OP . He berates Paddy but makes a generalized slur against rural dwellers and feels it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

All the energy wasted on discussing this nonsense could bring forth early climate change.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/paddy-holohan-under-fire-for-bizarre-leo-varadkar-comments-351209

An extraordinary podcast from a Sinn Fein councillor has just been published. In it he says that "he would like a "family man" and "someone who knows what it's like to have kids" running the country."

"Someone that knows what it’s like to have kids, maybe, hopefully, boys and girls, so when you’re creating policies and stuff that’s going to go on, you’re like: 'right, that makes sense'"

This has yet to be picked up by the national newspapers or RTE, but it is only a matter of time before it comes to prominence. It is hardly a one-off either. Whether it is idiots with Kingsmill bread on their heads, leaders making speeches about how they will get the bastards in relation to unionists, or misogynistic attacks on Mairia Cahill, Sinn Fein have form with this type of political invective.

Homophobic attacks on the Taoiseach are to be expected, but you would have thought they would come from a rural politician with the emotional intelligence of a Healy-Rae, but hearing it from a working-class Sinn Fein councillor is suprising on the face of it. It is a blatant form of homophobia - don't vote for the gay because he doesn't understand families - aimed at those who are less well-educated.

I hope that it is a one-off and not part of the Sinn Fein playbook for this election. With the loss of votes to Aontu, the frequent complaints about Sinn Fein moving away from its core, I can see how this type of nod and wink to more conservative republicans would be designed to keep votes that were drifting, but hopefully this isn't so as it is a complete disgrace. We see the comments on here from many who decry Sinn Fein adopting a liberal agenda and also there are the more insidious references to Varadkar's sexuality which are excused as having the craic.

Let's hope that Mary-Lou gets on top of this, apologises to the Taoiseach for the remarks, and removes this odious man from her party.

Ah yes... your so offended, and yet you managed to generalise all in sundry. :rolleyes: Nice little dig at rural voters too considering it was a Dub who came out with this.

I dont fully agree with what Houlihan says, but one thing that sticks out is that many leaders of nations have no children. Varadkar, Merkel, Macron, Trudeau. This is probably why they found it so easy to basically fúck a generation or two of people over with their policies and mismanagement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So you sought to generalise that all people living outside of Dublin as having a similar mindset. Wow. You have something in common with the subject of your OP. Back peddle faster, you got called out.

It is an assumption that all dubs are more 'eduificated' than the bogmen.
    In fairness the five in a row could be the cause of that.

You have to remember a lot of dubs rarely venture beyond the m50 (unless they are in a commuter town)
    But on the other hand a lot of Dubs have at least one culchie parent/relative you only have to look at the 2011 AI football team for that! ;)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well the scum women comments have led to his demise after getting away with the homophobic comments.

Speaking yesterday, Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald told reporters that she was “satisfied” with his apology and will not be removing him from the party.

However more quotes have emerged today where he allegedly made controversial comments about women.

The Councillor was talking about how if he ran an all-women MMA class, it would be supported, but an all-male class would be criticised.

“I don’t understand the idea of me separating a situation so all females can be there and every man is excluded, the same way I don’t feel that’s it’s okay to put all men in a situation and exclude all females,” he said.

Cllr Holohan said that he would be criticised for “hating women” if he ran an all-male class.

“If I put that out there my business would be affected and I would be affected, I would be slated, ‘he hates women’, or they wouldn’t say, ‘he hates men’.”

Terry McMahon, who is being interviewed on the podcast, says that he understands some women wanting female only MMA classes if they have been attacked in the past, because there are “scum men”.

Cllr Holohan adds, “there is sme f****ing scum women out there as well. I just wanna say to you, a situation I heard during the week where somebody heard somebody was underage, the person didn’t know they were underage, the girl had pursued the guy, got whatever she needed, had pictures, had videos, and then said, ‘I want ten grand.”

“And that wasn’t the first person, there were loads of them. What kind of situation is that that is going on in society now? I have two sons, it petrifies me that somebody can turn around and say, ‘I’m literally going to say you attacked me if you don’t give me ten grand’.”

“And people go, that doesn’t happen.”

“It is happening out there.”

Sinn Féin issued a statement this afternoon to say that they've suspended the Tallaght councillor.

“Paddy Holohan has been suspended from Sinn Féin with immediate effect, and a disciplinary process has been initiated,” the party stated.

Speaking in Bray, Co Wicklow, Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald said disciplinary action would be taken against Councillor Paddy Holohan.

“Obviously the comments are offensive, they are beyond offensive, I actually find them upsetting. I am very, very shocked at the comments made, and the party’s disciplinary procedure is now activated as we speak.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There is absolutely nothing in his comments about women that is contraversial, change women to men and there is no uproar.

Not a SF fan at all but think this has been blown up beyond necessary.

I too would love to see a Taoiseach with a young family as it would match my own situation. Far from being a swipe at Varadker given his age he's probably the most likely in a while to have this (he can adopt etc).

The "Irish" comments were stupid but I doubt Varadkar cared about any of it, and it's typical of an ignorant comment made in many places in this country.

A prime example of the media blowing something up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

It's this woke pc bullšhîtę that will cost them votes and not misconstrued comments from councillors. I think it was Alvagh Cronin a couple of months ago Tweeting #checkyourprivilage and most recently their members defending African gangs in Dublin and Cork. I watched that video of the young chap assaulted in Cork City and the noise of this lads skull hitting the tarmac still plays in the back of my head sending shivers down my spine. I only watched the video once btw. Their followers decrying that this way edited and faked! Their councillors were always the ones you'd go to report antisocial behaviour by scumbags, but if they speak out on this, they are driven out of the party. These same councillors would have their offices and homes attacked by the scumbags the party seems to defend lately. Defence of Thurles travellers, travelling gangs, Margaret Cash etc This is what cost them in the locals and european elections. They had would've probably had second place in the bag at the presidential elections if they had kept their mouths shut. I voted for them at local level when David Doran was running for the locals Thurles Town Council. David and the independent Jim Ryan were the only ones who'd highlight the scumbag behaviour happening within the town by druggies, certain traveller families (quite a lot in Thurles are fine decent citizens) and Thurles Town Council tenants.

As for this homeless crisis, there's a homeless crisis alright, affecting single childless men/women with severe mental health or addiction issues. Having children you can't house to get bumped up the housing priority list is not part of this! Tipperary County Council gave a elderly man dying of cancer a house in Borrisoleigh on compassionate grounds after years and years on the list. He didn't live in it long and a day or two after he died, they dumped out his belongings into the grass out front and painted and renovated the house in record time for scumbags who are terrorising the neighbours next door that one of them with a disability moved into Thurles town in a tent after he was assaulted by these tenants. Meanwhile the rest of us can't afford to rent or buy (in my case sell and move) because the county council are buying up houses to accommodate these types. SF, FG, FF, Labour will vigorously defend the types above. I will be abstaining from this election because whats the bloody point voting

Advertisement