Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ISF, FG, FF, Labour will vigorously defend the types above. I will be abstaining from this election because whats the bloody point voting

Don't abstain vote and start with every candidate you don't hate then work backwards

It sends a message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Not the brightest light in the harbour is Paddy. Will this damage SF at the polls?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I dunno if it'll really damage them. We're still weeks from voting and there's a lot of poo to be flung in all directions yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It'll benefit Labour, but only marginally I think.
    There's no real benefit for FG, so I think Varadkar played it well.

Hopefully the campaign isn't going to just be a series of these banana skins. The right one could come along and dominate the campaign, but really these things just distract from actual substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is absolutely nothing in his comments about women that is contraversial,.

Do you joke about strangling and boxing the head off your bitch regularly?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Augme

holyhead wrote: »
    Not the brightest light in the harbour is Paddy. Will this damage SF at the polls?

For the first time ever I had strongly considered voting for them however I will rule it out now. Obviously I could be the only one but I doubt it. I think it will benefit labour overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Also the other guy in the podcast is Terry McMahon, director of the documentary The Prizefighter about this guy;

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mahon-boxer-convicted-of-punching-ex-partner-124709.html

I'm struck by how people are shocked by this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

One thing that struck me about his boxing a woman comment was that it gives a clear view of his mentality around improving standards.

He was right to say that women shouldn’t joke about cutting a man’s dick off, but because some do or have he feels aggrieved that men can’t joke about boxing a woman in the head.

He’s a politician who when he sees a gap in standards rather than trying to raise the lower side he would prefer to lower the higher standard to match.

He’s a regressive politician and we’ve enough of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Shocked that someone who used to take blows to the head for a living could come out with some brain-dead views/comments.

Utter knob head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Where were those comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Where were those comments?

The latest ones are a very nuanced conversation around sexism, that start with discussing an all-female MMA class and end with him suggesting underage girls seduce older men and then extort them for thousands of euro.

Somewhere in the middle of all that he lamented not being able to joke about beating women up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

KiKi III wrote: »
    The latest ones are a very nuanced conversation around sexism, that start with discussing an all-female MMA class and end with him suggesting underage girls seduce older men and then extort them for thousands of euro.

Somewhere in the middle of all that he lamented not being able to joke about beating women up.

They don't seem to be in any of the media reports I have read. Not saying it didn't hapen but it seems to be his story about the girl that's got him in trouble

I don't really see what's wrong with him telling the story/anecdote about an underage girl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

I don't see anything seriously wrong with anything that Paddy has said.

I think he's an idiot and wrong about nearly everything but it is not offensive to tell a story about an underrage girl who attempted to blackmail a man.

That guy Terry Mahon is another total weirdo.

Very few redeeming features between both of them. Blindboy has more credibility. But idiots should be allowed to speak too.

I just don't see the offence that Mary Lou, and other, see.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

holyhead wrote: »

Out of the SF people I know.
    There more annoyed with Mary Louis than Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Out of the SF people I know.
    There more annoyed with Mary Louis than Paddy.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm guessing most people missed the little passage where Blanch suggested these comments are more in keeping with rural people as opposed to working class Dubliners. His suggestion was it was a Healy Rae type mind set. In his rush to condemn Paddy he behaved in the same manner displaying his own bigotry towards rural people.

Laughable lies, I was referring to the type of politician - Casey, Murphy, Grealish - who have form in respect of the kind of subtle racism that Holohan indulged in.

But then again, you know that, and are just trying to get a rise. Water off a ducks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Casey, Murphy and Grealish's natural political 'hinterlands' are those of FF's and FG's.

No party is really all that far away from this stuff. If you canvassed 'councillors' around the country that is clearly evident. And it is clearly evident, as the links I had 'the cheek' :) to post show.

How the party deals with it is the important thing at the end of the day.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Why?

Well when they originally comments came out they really backed him.
    They see him at more traditional Sinn Fein than Mary Lou.
    She may have even lost some of the more traditional Sinn Fein voters in the local elections last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Casey, Murphy and Grealish's natural political 'hinterlands' are those of FF's and FG's.

No party is really all that far away from this stuff. If you canvassed 'councillors' around the country that is clearly evident. And it is clearly evident, as the links I had 'the cheek' :) to post show.

How the party deals with it is the important thing at the end of the day.

Correct, and Sinn Fein let the racism and homophobia go, it was only the misogyny that got him.

Noted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

blanch152 wrote:
    Laughable lies, I was referring to the type of politician - Casey, Murphy, Grealish - who have form in respect of the kind of subtle racism that Holohan indulged in.

But your words conveyed a different meaning to anyone who wanted to take offence. Therefore, you need to be dragged across the coals for it and everyone label you a neanderthal, a biggot, someone who discriminates and anything you have written on here, or have ever joked about can and should be used against you.

That's the way it is.
    blanch152 wrote:
    But then again, you know that, and are just trying to get a rise. Water off a ducks back.

Because you have the benefit of anonymity. Politicians don't have that benefit. Not for love nor money would I ever get involved in politics these days. Or anything in the public eye.

Arseholes combing through every single thing you have ever said and ascribing meanings and isms/phobias to opinions you might hold is ruining every aspect of society.

I wonder how many decent politicians we are going to miss out on because they are afraid to run because of a tasteless joke or an offensive opinion they held when they were a teenager?

Well when they originally comments came out they really backed him.
    They see him at more traditional Sinn Fein than Mary Lou.
    She may have even lost some of the more traditional Sinn Fein voters in the local elections last year.

They're annoyed with Mary Lou for getting rid of Holohan, because they view him as beings more traditional shinner than she is?

Is this just your opinion, or have you something to back it up with?

When or where did you read this?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Correct, and Sinn Fein let the racism and homophobia go, it was only the misogyny that got him.

Noted.

We have clearly seen here that not everyone seen it as a clear case of racism or homophobia. There are plenty with a 'need' to see it that way though.

What we can say it was, was a jumbled, stupid and clumsy attempt to make a point. In much the same way that you now claim your 'rural' comments where intended to mean something else.
    Confusion can easily happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

SF will never be able to unite their two wings.

Trying to court the ultra-woke, liberal, SJW crowd has come at the expense of their more traditional misogynistic and racist core barstool demographic.

The raft of resignations in the run-up to local elections demonstrated this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We have clearly seen here that not everyone seen it as a clear case of racism or homophobia.

Seems like Shinner-leadership did.

You might need to get an update from headquarters Francie as you're veering 'off message'

Seems like Shinner-leadership did.

You might need to get an update from headquarters Francie as you're veering 'off message'

Which is it lads? :rolleyes:

Noted.

McMurphy wrote: »
    They're annoyed with Mary Lou for getting rid of Holohan, because they view him as beings more traditional shinner than she is?

Is this just your opinion, or have you something to back it up with?

When or where did you read this?

It would appear so yes.
    It's what I've been told by SF voters and people who were SF voters.
    They don't like Mary Lou and they believe she's not the best leader for the party.
    She didn't do them much favors in the local elections last year.
    She is may be attractive to the new SF voters tough.

It would appear so yes.
    It's what I've been told by SF voters and people who were SF voters.
    They don't like Mary Lou and they believe she's not the best leader for the party.
    She didn't do them much favors in the local elections last year.
    She is may be attractive to the new SF voters tough.

Possibly.

Might be the same for Leo too all things considered, yes it's cool and trendy to have a gay mixed race Taoiseach, but I bet some of the more traditional conservative Fine Gael voters didn't see it that way.

I have no problems with his race or sexuality incidentally, as would the vast majority of people like me.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lies? Are you claiming I misrepresented you? The latent snobbery and superiority is evident in the piece of your OP I quoted. Its amusing to see you try and distance yourself from your own words. It has not just me that has seen the hypocrisy in your behaviour here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

. I dont fully agree with what Houlihan says, but one thing that sticks out is that many leaders of nations have no children. Varadkar, Merkel, Macron, Trudeau. This is probably why they found it so easy to basically fúck a generation or two of people over with their policies and mismanagement

Haughey, Bertie, Trump, Hitler, Stalin - all had kids. It's a stupid argument and completely irrelevant.

Advertisement