Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Funny he did an interview with Gerry Adams. I was stunned by Gerry's appearance. I went to look at it again yesterday and wonder has it been taken down? Apart from Gerry's hair needing a cut I don't see why it would have disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have to say that when you are directing your bile at an anonymous internet poster when trying to defend a racist, homophobic, misogynist Sinn Fein councillor, you kind of need to reconsider your priorities.

Yes, you and tipptom and others can try and make me the story, and it would be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic.

You have a nerve to accuse me of lies, I suggest you provide a link to any defence I offered for Holahan. I think your problem is I showed you be to little different than the subject of your OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

holyhead wrote:
    Funny he did an interview with Gerry Adams. I was stunned by Gerry's appearance. I went to look at it again yesterday and wonder has it been taken down? Apart from Gerry's hair needing a cut I don't see why it would have disappeared.

He has taken down or restricted all the video podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have to say that when you are directing your bile at an anonymous internet poster when trying to defend a racist, homophobic, misogynist Sinn Fein councillor, you kind of need to reconsider your priorities.

Yes, you and tipptom and others can try and make me the story, and it would be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic.
    Oh,Stonewall Blanche is back in talking about "your kind" reveals the real type of person you are and your motives.

The champion for Gay rights lol

Just a slight perusal of his posting history where you will struggle to find him not mentioning SF will tell you what his real agenda is couched in his concern for gay rights.

Pathetic indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

holyhead wrote: »

Yes, that would be highly unusual for Sinn Fein members making things disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

tipptom wrote: »
    Oh,Stonewall Blanche is back in talking about "your kind" reveals the real type of person you are and your motives.

Just a slight perusal of his posting history where you will struggle to find him not mentioning SF will tell you what his real agenda is couched in his concern for gay rights.

Pathetic indeed.

Why did you put "your kind" in quotation marks when that's not what he said?

A bit of reading comprehension wouldn't go astray when you're on one of your frequent 'attack the poster' rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Why did you put "your kind" in quotation marks when that's not what he said?

A bit of reading comprehension wouldn't go astray when you're on one of your frequent 'attack the poster' rants.

Says the fella who spends all his time on boards with frequent personal attacks on posters calling them "anti Brits" because they have different views on Britain's role in Irish history to yours.

You hypocrisy is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Says the fella who spends all his time on boards with frequent personal attacks on posters calling them "anti Brits" because they have different views on Britain's role in Irish history to yours.

You hypocrisy is laughable.

Did you manage to work out the ‘you kind of/your kind’ mistake yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ironicname wrote: »
    He has no evidence other than anecdotal. What should he do?

Go the gardai to tell them?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Go the gardai to tell them?

With anecdotes? Ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Augme wrote: »
    For the first time ever I had strongly considered voting for them however I will rule it out now. Obviously I could be the only one but I doubt it. I think it will benefit labour overall.

I think it will benefit the Independents more than anyone. My only options for the upcoming election were Sinn Fein or Independents because I like Sinn Feins "stated" policies and don't believe in any of the other parties so the only other option is Independents.

I put "stated" policies in inverted commas because their statements and their actions just don't match up at times.

What irks me about this incident is that Mary Lou didn't suspend him over the Leo remarks but did about the victim blaming remarks. Smacks too much of "ah it's okay to take a dig at Leo even if it is about his sexuality or lineage" but "it's not okay to take a dig at women" (both literally or figuratively). :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quite hypocritical. And I'm kind of a fan of Mary Lou but she has a hatred for Leo personally that is blinding her and not showing her in the most professional of lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It's OK to attack Varadkar for any reason but one should be clear that one is only attacking Varadkar and not eg nifts daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

.....I just wonder might any other Sinn Fein candidates (past & present) have said or done anything worse than Paddy's outburst?

A rhetorical question.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pathetic indeed.

Attack the post, not the poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MakingMovies2

To be honest I think holohan should stand down from his position or be made to. A message should be sent that this kind of thinly veiled bigotry has no place in the Ireland of 2020. What else is to be expected of some caveman who gets punched in the head for a living I guess.

To be honest I think holohan should stand down from his position or be made to. A message should be sent that this kind of thinly veiled bigotry has no place in the Ireland of 2020. What else is to be expected of some caveman who gets punched in the head for a living I guess.

Absolutely.

If anybody says something wrong or offensive, they have no place in Ireland. They should all think proper thoughts. That's the only way we can have an inclusive Ireland. With everyone thinking the same and no bad people at all.

Even if it's not offensive to everyone, once one person finds it offensive, that's enough.

Actually, did you just say imply that anybody who is involved in mixed martial arts or boxing is a caveman or that those people are of lower intellect than you and shouldn't be expected to be able to conduct themselves in a manner you think is acceptable?

That's really offensive, judgmental and bigoted too.

**** when people hold you to your own standards isn't it?

Sorry, just noticed this is your first post. I wouldn't have bothered if I had seen. No need to respond.

Sorry, just noticed this is your first post. I wouldn't have bothered if I had seen. No need to respond.

I don't see what difference it makes whether or not it's my first time posting but okay. I will bother responding though. What I meant was he shouldn't hold public office if those are his views. And he hasn't done the combat sports community any favors with this show of stupidity. But reducto ad absurdum away

I don't see what difference it makes whether or not it's my first time posting but okay. I will bother responding though. What I meant was he shouldn't hold public office if those are his views. And he hasn't done the combat sports community any favors with this show of stupidity. But reducto ad absurdum away

Haha. Very good. Welcome to boards (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He has no evidence other than anecdotal. What should he do?

not mention it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

Paddy should be entitled to say what he wants.

If Leo doesn't like it Leo can commit suicide I suppose, like Bertie advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Of course paddy can say what he wants. nobody has disputed that. unfortunately for paddy there are consequences when you say things your party does not approve of. So paddy is free is to say what he likes and Sinn Fein are free to suspend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

If you have a podcast, I’d like to subscribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So that's the thing Bertie never advised anyone to commit suicide. I suppose though if a lie is repeated often enough it takes on the truth for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

Leo Varadkar is hated by many people, as is Charlie Flanagan.

Charlie is the worst of all I think.

Political correctness and censorship is proving very damaging to our societies. We should not be looking to shut voices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Political correctness and censorship is proving very damaging to our societies. We should not be looking to shut voices down.

I've seen many posts criticising the Taoiseach but he always seems to come out fighting for Ireland imo.

I'm guessing the reason most people hate Varadker come from issues around his sexuality and race. Like mister Holohan so eloquently displayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

He can say what ever crosses his mind, however that doesn't mean that people have to accept it. Freedom of speech isn't in danger... he is just finding that the views he expressed have consequences. He can (and more than likely does) still say the things that have got him into bother. No one is stopping him from saying those things. Just that those willing to entertain his drivel will be less and less.

I do find that your user name is quite apt, as you seem to be defending some rather 'backwards' views.

I'm guessing the reason most people hate Varadker come from issues around his sexuality and race. Like mister Holohan so eloquently displayed.

Or maybe because he's untrustworthy, has a history of saying things purely because it is good for his popularity regardless of whether he believes it and will follow through with it, and is generally not a good leader?

No. It's definitely because he is gay and not white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Or maybe because he's untrustworthy, has a history of saying things purely because it is good for his popularity regardless of whether he believes it and will follow through with it, and is generally not a good leader?

No. It's definitely because he is gay and not white.

And if this councillor had been on a rant about Leo's failures in housing, homelessness and health, I'd be right behind him.

Advertisement