Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I read online today that Holohan hasn't attended a council meeting since October.

Now, I've no verification of that but if it's indeed true then he should not just be suspended but sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I read online today that Holohan hasn't attended a council meeting since October.

Now, I've no verification of that but if it's indeed true then he should not just be suspended but sacked.

Only missing since October? Sure that's nothing , in the halfpenny place compared to bould Dara Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's OK to attack Varadkar for any reason but one should be clear that one is only attacking Varadkar and not eg nifts daughter.

So it’s ok for a mixed race person to be nift’s daughter but not ok for one to be Taoiseach?

Pretty much SF policy summed up in one sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I'm guessing the reason most people hate Varadker come from issues around his sexuality and race. Like mister Holohan so eloquently displayed.

Or maybe because he's a thatcherite who never saw a homeless person he didn't want to cripple with a forklift.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.buzz.ie/news/paddy-holohan-under-fire-for-bizarre-leo-varadkar-comments-351209

An extraordinary podcast from a Sinn Fein councillor has just been published. In it he says that "he would like a "family man" and "someone who knows what it's like to have kids" running the country."

"Someone that knows what it’s like to have kids, maybe, hopefully, boys and girls, so when you’re creating policies and stuff that’s going to go on, you’re like: 'right, that makes sense'"

This has yet to be picked up by the national newspapers or RTE, but it is only a matter of time before it comes to prominence. It is hardly a one-off either. Whether it is idiots with Kingsmill bread on their heads, leaders making speeches about how they will get the bastards in relation to unionists, or misogynistic attacks on Mairia Cahill, Sinn Fein have form with this type of political invective.

Homophobic attacks on the Taoiseach are to be expected, but you would have thought they would come from a rural politician with the emotional intelligence of a Healy-Rae, but hearing it from a working-class Sinn Fein councillor is suprising on the face of it. It is a blatant form of homophobia - don't vote for the gay because he doesn't understand families - aimed at those who are less well-educated.

I hope that it is a one-off and not part of the Sinn Fein playbook for this election. With the loss of votes to Aontu, the frequent complaints about Sinn Fein moving away from its core, I can see how this type of nod and wink to more conservative republicans would be designed to keep votes that were drifting, but hopefully this isn't so as it is a complete disgrace. We see the comments on here from many who decry Sinn Fein adopting a liberal agenda and also there are the more insidious references to Varadkar's sexuality which are excused as having the craic.

Let's hope that Mary-Lou gets on top of this, apologises to the Taoiseach for the remarks, and removes this odious man from her party.

You're no better yourself with your remark about how you'd expect homophobic remarks to come from a 'rural' politician. Why is that? Very presumptuous and close minded of you there. Are urban people more tolerant and open-minded do you think? Not in my experience anyway. There's an assumption that tolerance is the preserve of the urban, 'woke' types when in reality some of them are so fooking blinkered, it's laughable. Tick box categories of woke opinions but ok to be sneery about others. I've no opinion on the SF councillor btw as I don't know enough about him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

WAW wrote: »
    You're no better yourself with your remark about how you'd expect homophobic remarks to come from a 'rural' politician. Why is that? Very presumptuous and close minded of you there. Are urban people more tolerant and open-minded do you think? Not in my experience anyway. There's an assumption that tolerance is the preserve of the urban, 'woke' types when in reality some of them are so fooking blinkered, it's laughable. Tick box categories of woke opinions but ok to be sneery about others. I've no opinion on the SF councillor btw as I don't know enough about him.
    Now, now the OP doesn't like his hypocrisy being pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The public look to be pleased with the way SFs handled this going by opinion polls.

This poll was taken last Thurs, Fri and Sat.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

blanch152 wrote: »
    So it’s ok for a mixed race person to be nift’s daughter but not ok for one to be Taoiseach?

Pretty much SF policy summed up in one sentence.

Not everyone who hates Varadkar is a racist or a Sinn Feiner!

Now, now the OP doesn't like his hypocrisy being pointed out.

Ha, ha, thanks for the laugh.

Glad to see you think my hypocrisy is as important as the racism, misogyny and homophobia displayed by Holohan, I must be somebody really important, big boost to the ego, thanks.

McMurphy wrote: »
    The public look to be pleased with the way SFs handled this going by opinion polls.

This poll was taken last Thurs, Fri and Sat.

image.jpg

Yes, Fine Gael up three points since the last poll was on here.

This election will come down to the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fairly clear the Irish people seen through the way this stupid and irrational outburst by a councillor was being exploited by some.
    Everybody understands (because they all have fruitcake councillors from every party in their experiences) that there is very little a party can do to guard against this kind of stuff happening. As I said about Bailey and The Black and Tan episodes, it was how a leader got ahead of these things when they happen is what ultimately matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Fairly clear the Irish people seen through the way this stupid and irrational outburst by a councillor was being exploited by some.
    Everybody understands (because they all have fruitcake councillors from every party in their experiences) that there is very little a party can do to guard against this kind of stuff happening. As I said about Bailey and The Black and Tan episodes, it was how a leader got ahead of these things when they happen is what ultimately matter.

Sorry Francie last nights poll doesn't let you off the hook.

SF dealt with his racist/homophobic/misoginistic remarks.

You on the other hand tried to downplay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

jh79 wrote: »

There's loads of those comments out there, the op picked on this one because it was a SF Councillor said them.
    Just on the original comment, if you remember back to the FG leadership election, Coveney made sure his family photos were front and center of that campaign, a thinly veiled subliminal comment that basically was saying the same.

I disagreed with the interpretation of his stupidity as racism and homophobia.

I am entitled to do that.
    I think anybody into MSM? MA? (whatever the acronym is) ignores lots of sexism and misogyny, so not surprised he came out with the stuff about women.

P.S. 'Off the hook'?? :) Have you set yourself up as judge and jury? :)

I disagreed with the interpretation of his stupidity as racism and homophobia.

I am entitled to do that.
    I think anybody into MSM? MA? (whatever the acronym is) ignores lots of sexism and misogyny, so not surprised he came out with the stuff about women.

P.S. 'Off the hook'?? :) Have you set yourself up as judge and jury? :)

Figure of speech and its only boards.

Ethnonationalism is a form of racism which is what your interpretation amounted to.

Figure of speech and its only boards.

Ethnonationalism is a form of racism which is what your interpretation amounted to.

You are just evidence of the existence of internet keyboard warrior absolutism.

YOU decided an ambiguous statement was homophobic and racist even though when analysed it could be read many ways.

EVERYBODY was wrong who offered a different view subsequently, hence the quasi courtroom 'off the hook' comment. :)

The people of the country could see through that from a mile off.

Generally, I think the same people are getting sick of the 'outrage' allegation is enough' culture of the internet.

YOU decided an ambiguous statement was homophobic and racist even though when analysed it could be read many ways.

EVERYBODY was wrong who offered a different view subsequently, hence the quasi courtroom 'off the hook' comment. :)

The people of the country could see through that from a mile off.

Generally, I think the same people are getting sick of the 'outrage' allegation is enough' culture of the internet.

How do you know the people of the country see through it? As i said earlier last night poll doesn't mean he didn't make racist/homophobic/misogynistic remarks. SF dealt with it within 24/48 hrs (?) maybe that was good enough for the general public.

Your attempt at downplaying racism as only ethnonationalism is what i am criticizing.

You failed to offer any non-racist interpretation of what he said.

You failed to offer any non-racist interpretation of what he said.

What?

This is the type of nonsense that has destroyed internet debate.

Somebody who qualifies the already incoherent point he is making by saying things like 'Leo is an Irish citizen...' or 'Of course Leo is a part of it (our history) is not attempting to be racist.
    Why would I have to give a 'non-racist' interpretation beyond that?

Jesus H. :rolleyes:

francie, pretty much everybody decided it was a homophobic and racist statement

including sinn fein, like

this is not a hill to die on

What?

This is the type of nonsense that has destroyed internet debate.

Somebody who qualifies the already incoherent point he is making by saying things like 'Leo is an Irish citizen...' or 'Of course Leo is a part of it (our history) is not attempting to be racist.
    Why would I have to give a 'non-racist' interpretation beyond that?

Jesus H. :rolleyes:

An "i'm not racist but..." variation.

Paddy decided his perceived poor performance was due to his "impure" blood.

• Advertisement

not everyone, either here or in the real world.

According to Jh19 I am 'on the hook' for having my own opinion.

The herd are after me snoopsheep! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I'm waiting for him to somehow blame the dastardly British:)

his "impure" blood.

A defence lawyer would be on his/her feet shouting 'projection your honour'.

He never used that that word to my knowledge, why have you it in quotes?

Sinister stuff there jh79

Sorry your right , he didn't say impure, he said his blood runs to India or something close.

Sinister stuff from me? Seriously?

Your the one that is ok with ethnonationalism.

Sinister is being an apologist for a sectarian terrorist organisation.

Sorry your right , he didn't say impure, he said his blood runs to India or something close.

Sinister stuff from me? Seriously?

Your the one that is ok with ethnonationalism.

You are misquoting him in a serious way in order to get what he said to meet your 'criteria'.

How more sinister can you be on an internet forum?

My interpretation of what he said was that it was stupid, incoherent and by ignoring the maternal influence (misogynistic) unintelligent.

Was it purposeful racism...no, not in my opinion. If it was I would be the first to call him on it.

So carry on with the buzzwords and the misquoting. I'm out.

You are misquoting him in a serious way in order to get what he said to meet your 'criteria'.

My interpretation of what he said was that it was stupid, incoherent and by ignoring the maternal influence (misogynistic) unintelligent.

Was it purposeful racism...no, not in my opinion. If it was I would be the first to call him on it.

So we've gone from it being not racist to accidentally racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So we've gone from it being not racist to accidentally racist.

well more like "accidentally racist because paddy isn't the sharpest tool in the box"

I don't buy that at all. I actually think the opposite. A minority of Irish people have bought into what he said and are backing Sinn Fein as a result.

Holohan's rant about Varadkar coupled with the Sinn Fein narrative on the RIC commemoration has enabled Sinn Fein to stir up the "one nation" republicanism and capitalise on it, in the way that both Trump and Johnson have done so, within their own nationalist sphere. It is deeply disturbing that this type of politics has come to Ireland and is getting traction.

• Advertisement

There is nothing more sinister, devious and disgusting on an internet forum than the denial of insidious dog whistle racism, homophobia and misogyny.

Advertisement