Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

francie, pretty much everybody decided it was a homophobic and racist statement

Not true. A vocal minority have.
    jh79 wrote:
    Sorry your right , he didn't say impure, he said his blood runs to India or something close.

And does his bloodline not somewhat trace back to India due to his father being Indian?

Would it be acceptable to say that his immediate family history (parents, grandparents) would be less Irish than somebody whose whole family is multi generationally Irish?

It's neither a negative or a positive for me personally as I am not the furthest from a republican you can be, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility or acceptability that someone who would be passionate about the 1916 uprising to prefer a leader whose family lines run through that.

I don't think that's racist at all.

blanch152 wrote:
    There is nothing more sinister, devious and disgusting on an internet forum than the denial of insidious dog whistle racism, homophobia and misogyny.

There is.

Plenty.

Dog whistling the "woke" crowd to attack purely for your own political agenda while not caring about the matter is equally sinister, devious and disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fairly clear the Irish people seen through the way this stupid and irrational outburst by a councillor was being exploited by some.
    Everybody understands (because they all have fruitcake councillors from every party in their experiences) that there is very little a party can do to guard against this kind of stuff happening. As I said about Bailey and The Black and Tan episodes, it was how a leader got ahead of these things when they happen is what ultimately matter.

Jaysus. That's some whataboutery.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ironicname wrote: »
    Not true. A vocal minority have.

And does his bloodline not somewhat trace back to India due to his father being Indian?

Would it be acceptable to say that his immediate family history (parents, grandparents) would be less Irish than somebody whose whole family is multi generationally Irish?

It's neither a negative or a positive for me personally as I am not the furthest from a republican you can be, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility or acceptability that someone who would be passionate about the 1916 uprising to prefer a leader whose family lines run through that.

I don't think that's racist at all.

Astonishing.

You pretty much define racism, give a brilliant example of racism, and then deny it is racist.

To give another example, why wouldn't many Germans in the early 1930s want a pure German-blood as leader who was passionate about their defeat in the First World War?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

There is.

Plenty.

Dog whistling the "woke" crowd to attack purely for your own political agenda while not caring about the matter is equally sinister, devious and disgusting.
    If there's one thing that Holohan wasn't it's devious!

Sinn Fein's relationship with knee jerk ethnonationalism is quite an interesting one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

I see people on this thread are now getting warnings if they express themselves.

Censorship does not work and it is driving the world into the arms of Trump. Trump is only the first, what follows after will be much worse. And it will have been caused by people who just cannot handle differences of opinion.

The West is in complete freefall.

blanch152 wrote:
    You pretty much define racism, give a brilliant example of racism, and then deny it is racist.

Excuse me? It is racist that somebody from a republican party would prefer someone with a deep rooted Irish family history to be leader of Ireland?

Thats racist now? Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

but it's not beyond the realms of possibility or acceptability that someone who would be passionate about the 1916 uprising to prefer a leader whose family lines run through that.
    It wouldn't be racist if someone said that specifically - "My family were involved in 1916 and I think a leader should have been raised on first-hand stories about the rising".

But he didn't. His comments were about Irish bloodlines in general and the insinuation that Varadkar wasn't "fully" Irish. That is racist, intentional or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Excuse me? It is racist that somebody from a republican party would prefer someone with a deep rooted Irish family history to be leader of Ireland?

it's absolutely the definition of discrimination

blanch152 wrote:
    To give another example, why wouldn't many Germans in the early 1930s want a pure German-blood as leader who was passionate about their defeat in the First World War?

That comparison only works if you are suggesting that this person is a new Hitler or suggesting that he wants to murder people for their race.

You are using a Hitler example comparing this situation with Nazi Germany?

Impossible to take you seriously.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is pretty much the definition of racism to prefer someone as Taoiseach because they have "a deep rooted Irish family history" instead of preferring someone because they were the best candidate.

it's absolutely the definition of discrimination

I'd call it xenophobic perhaps. Racist no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

flanagan is a deep rooted irish politician and he's a bloody tan fancier :)

Xenophobia is a subset of racism under Irish law.

https://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/RevisedActs/WithAnnotations/HTML/EN_ACT_2000_0008.HTM

"h) that they are of different race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins (the “ground of race”),"

So yes, it is racist.

blanch152 wrote:
    Yes, it is pretty much the definition of racism to prefer someone as Taoiseach because they have "a deep rooted Irish family history" instead of preferring someone because they were the best candidate.

To extrapolate this to its conclusion, I assume you think that any sort of gender/race quota in education/employment is also racism and discrimination and would be equally upset about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Anyone else thinking that with the level of time and energy Ironicname is dedicating to this, we might be in conversation with Paddy himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

One would wonder about the point of such a statement, other than to dog-whistle a few racists to the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

My father happens to be Canadian (resident in Ireland since before I was born) - to suggest I am less preferable as a politician because of that is blatantly wrong (don't care what label you put on it)...

To extrapolate this to its conclusion, I assume you think that any sort of gender/race quota in education/employment is also racism and discrimination and would be equally upset about it?

No, because the legislation allows for such actions to remove discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

KiKi III wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking that with the level of time and energy Ironicname is dedicating to this, we might be in conversation with Paddy himself?

You find the alt right on the net spend their time disputing what is racist continually.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    No Ironicname is using complete sentences!

schmoo2k wrote: »
    My father happens to be Canadian (resident in Ireland since before I was born) - to suggest I am less preferable as a politician because of that is blatantly wrong (don't care what label you put on it)...
    How do you feel about crippling homeless people with forklifts?

schmoo2k wrote:

I am not suggesting that you wouldn't be.

I'm suggesting that someone whose politics are intrinsically linked to historical events may have a personal preference for a different candidate whose family has a strong Irish history.

That isnt racist in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MakingMovies2

I'm suggesting that someone whose politics are intrinsically linked to historical events may have a personal preference for a different candidate whose family has a strong Irish history.

But surely Varadkers mother would give him connection to Ireland history? Or is that reserved for whites only? The mask is slipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

But surely Varadkers mother would give him connection to Ireland history? Or is that reserved for whites only? The mask is slipping.

Where you find homophobia and racism, misogyny is bound to be nearby.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Where you find homophobia and racism, misogyny is bound to be nearby.

True. The staunch defenders of holohan are quite the cocktail of bigotry. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

If that "personal preference" isn't based on individual merit, but rather due to some ancestry connection with a foreign country, then I am pretty sure your opinion isn't sound.
    (Obviously you are fully entitled to your opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

An utter contempt for ones history is more a FG trait then an Indian one.

Then again Leo might me like one of those Indians that wax nostaligic about days of the Raj (yes they do exist) in the same way FG miss the Crown and commonwealth. Some people just can't live without a boot on their throat.

conorhal wrote: »
    An utter contempt for ones history is more a FG trait then an Indian one.

Then again Leo might me like one of those Indians that wax nostaligic about days of the Raj (yes they do exist) in the same way FG miss the Crown and commonwealth. Some people just can't live without a boot on their throat.

So you're implying that Varadker is a West Brit? Surely his stance on brexit and his refusal to humour Boris Johnson would suggest otherwise. Or maybe you're looking for a reason to hate him other than his skin colour. You're not fooling anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

So you're implying that Varadker is a West Brit? Surely his stance on brexit and his refusal to humour Boris Johnson would suggest otherwise. Or maybe you're looking for a reason to hate him other than his skin colour. You're not fooling anyone.

Some people develop a taste for polish after licking too many boots.
    In Leo's case it's Brussel's boots.

Advertisement