Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Nift wrote: »
    AH part of me could deal with it if it didn't venture into the plain dumb, stuff we talked about recently. Irish history has loads of mixed identities.

Dev, Pearse, Tone, Emmett etc etc.
    Yeah Holohan really needs to apologise and wise up. I don't want an open racist in the Dail either and there's now a REBUTTABLE presumption that he is a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

stop what he said was outrageous and now he has doubled down on it by saying they were misrepresented.

My daughter has Indian heritage and **** anybody who thinks her mixed blood makes her less Irish.

LEO VARADKAR'S MOTHER IS IRISH

the irony when Pearse, Tone, Emmet, yeats, DEV etc etc had mixed heritage.

My mother isn't Irish and I would be exceptionally offended if it was implied that that made me less Irish, particularly as I grew up here, was educated here and now work here (as has Varadkar)

Comments about his heritage are, and always will be, despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Where did he say anything about 'straight'?

I have gay friends who have 2 children. I have gay friends who don't.

I think people with children or who had children make better teachers. Is that homopobic?

P.S. I don't think a Taoiseach needs to have children, I think that is a 'stupid' thing to say.

Just prior to this he questioned the timing that Varadkar chose to come out, so it comes across that the “family man” comment means “straight man”.

The comments about his lineage are bizarre. You’d swear he was just off the boat and not born and raised in Ireland to an Irish mother.

No wonder SF are distancing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Another highly personalised post. Ran out of road again.
    I don't give a **** what you claim to think about me. You're full of hypocrisy and piss.
    I dont see you jumping in once to defend the Greens.
    The lad was ignorant and stupid but not homophobic.
    I've likely done more than you to help further gay rights in Ireland.
    What did Leo mean about people who 'like' to get up early in the morning?
    I stand by my opinion despite your bitter slurs. You should try it.

Nothing personal at all in my post, I criticised what you posted, not being surprised at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

Here is what I said:

There were people all over the country (including me) last week shouting from the rafters that Leo was 'separated from society and separated from the history of the country'.

All racists too?

I agree that Leo is separated, i don't agree with his reasoning though.

why did you think Leo was 'separated from society and separated from the history of the country? Is it because he's a privately educated posh lad from Castleknock? Or is it because of his Indian heritage?

if its for the same reason as Paddy it makes you both a racist and a complete and utter ****ing idiot.

Racism -
    a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

PAddy think's he's a superior irish person to leo because he can trace (he can't) both lineages back to gaelic times. Obviously as well you can only be white to do that. **** off

Leo was born and raised in Ireland and his mother is Irish. If you consider Leo to be a lesser Irishman than yourself or your countrymen because of his heritage, then yes you are a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wonder how long it'll be before Paddy is standing outside Google screaming along with Gemtrails and the rest of them.

Yeah Holohan really needs to apologise and wise up. I don't want an open racist in the Dail either and there's now a REBUTTABLE presumption that he is a racist.

Sorry? Have you changed your mind on this?

Are you now accusing yourself of snowflakery and FG spinning?

If he can't take the heat he can get out of the Kitchen.

Frankly we should be allowed to say almost anything true about our elected representatives; other than realistic threats to their physical wellbeing.
    It's deliberate misinterpretation by the FG spinners.
    That has to be deliberate anti Sinn Fein spinning or else snowflakery of a level that the Taoiseach has to be above.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

why did you think Leo was 'separated from society and separated from the history of the country?

if its for the same reason as Paddy it makes you both a racist and a complete and utter ****ing idiot.

For the same reason as Charlie Flanagan and Josepha Madigan are separate from our history. They got told they were 'separate' in rather blunt terms last week if you noticed.

Paddy is right about that, but not about the reason for that separateness. That was the stupid bit.

For the same reason as Charlie Flanagan and Josepha Madigan are separate from our history. They got told they were 'separate' in rather blunt terms last week if you noticed.

Paddy is right about that, but not about the reason for that separateness. That was the stupid bit.

Ok fair enough thats what i thought.

But what Paddy is saying is shared by loads as i pointed out last week. Its dangerous.

Now i do believe he said it mainly in a clumsy way. I mean he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Stupid but not racist?

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    Just prior to this he questioned the timing that Varadkar chose to come out, so it comes across that the “family man” comment means “straight man”.

The comments about his lineage are bizarre. You’d swear he was just off the boat and not born and raised in Ireland to an Irish mother.

No wonder SF are distancing themselves.

Those coming out comments made barely any sense, was he trying to imply that Vardkar's coming out was a political pawn for the marriage referendum? That's what I read from it.

Holohan is a mess.

If you define our country as being a country that excludes the heritage of those who identify as British, then you are correct, but that is also racist. Our history and heritage includes those who believed the RIC were defending them against violent terrorists.

The "one nation" republicanism of the last few weeks has been disgusting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Straight people telling gay people what is or isn't homophobic. Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

dobby896 wrote: »

Why reduce this thread to a mud-slinging match?

Wasn't that the reason for this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I don't want this ignorant idiot, or anyone like him, anywhere within a thousand yards of the Dáil. Obviously SF in recruiting this flute are going after more low-hanging fruit, as 'twere. :pac:

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you define our country as being a country that excludes the heritage of those who identify as British, then you are correct, but that is also racist. Our history and heritage includes those who believed the RIC were defending them against violent terrorists.

The "one nation" republicanism of the last few weeks has been disgusting to watch.

The programme of commemoration includes remembrance of all involved in the decade that saw the birth of our nation.
    Nobody is excluded. Not the RIC/DMP and not the British.

Stop with the Charlie Flanagan style lying about this. You tried to roll out the FG 'blame the Expert Group' spiel before and failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

jh79 wrote: »
    The councillor adds that it “bugs him to death” that Mr Varadkar leads the country.

“He’s so separated not even from society now, but he’s so separated from the history of this country,” he said.

“I’m for immigration, I’m for bringing people into the country.”

He said that Mr Varadkar’s grandfather was not part of the “history of this country”.

“Leo Varadkar’s blood obviously runs to India you know so his great grandfather is not part of the history of this country, you know what I mean? Now, Leo obviously is, he’s an Irish citizen but his passion doesn’t go back to the times when our passion goes back to,” he added.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-councillor-paddy-holohan-apologises-for-controversial-comments-about-varadkar-38867738.html

Was this not proven to be 100% factual with Varadkardashians love in with the black and tans last week??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.buzz.ie/news/paddy-holohan-under-fire-for-bizarre-leo-varadkar-comments-351209

An extraordinary podcast from a Sinn Fein councillor has just been published. In it he says that "he would like a "family man" and "someone who knows what it's like to have kids" running the country."

Well I raised an eyebrow at "family man", immediately, even before the remarks about kids, which I do believe was a shady dig.

I wonder what MaryLou makes of that.

He should know better, considering he himself was raised by a single mother.

I'm actually quite annoyed by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

AulWan wrote: »
    Well I raised an eyebrow at "family man", immediately, even before the remarks about kids, which I do believe was a shady dig.

I wonder what MaryLou makes of that.

He should know better, considering he himself was raised by a single mother.

I'm actually quite annoyed by this.

Matt Cooper said on the radio just now that Mary Lou has accepted his apology and the matter is now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Stupid vs mildly homophobic and racist.

Either way do we want him involved in running the country.

• Advertisement

Was this not proven to be 100% factual with Varadkardashians love in with the black and tans last week??

nah it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

gmisk wrote: »
    He also made comments about him not being a true Irish man as "his blood obviously runs to India"...maybe he could join up with Gemma O Doherty?

https://twitter.com/StephenBrowne4/status/1217491863919308800?s=09

The comments he made on blood lines are moronic. Still SF innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Just in case there's any confusion, Paddy Holohan is not British neither was he in the RIC or the Black & Tans, but he is an embarrassment to Sinn Fein, along with several others in their ranks...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think what he said was taken out of context, maybe saying it could be preferable to have a family man as Taoiseach rather than a single man...

But then again that would be another controversial statement

nthclare wrote: »
    I think what he said was taken out of context, maybe saying it could be preferable to have a family man as Taoiseach rather than a single man...

But then again that would be another controversial statement

It isn't taken out of context when you couple it with the comments made by Holohan about Varadkar coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

given Leo's recent championing of the RIC commemorations I think Holohan is correct . Leo's understanding of being Irish is lacking and very out of tune with the Irish people.

As for the family man - I'd rather vote for somebody I resonated with . Leo has no kids he probably doesn't understand the daily grind of young families.
    Furthermore having being in politics nearly all his adult life I doubt he has any notion what struggles working families go through.

Holohan was speaking the truth only those with no counter argument play ther racist/homophobic card.
    Reflects more on them that they resort that lowest form of debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Daisy78

seamus wrote: »
    If we want to give him the benefit of the doubt, it still doesn't look that much better for him. He's still saying that someone who doesn't have kids (or perhaps isn't a "family" person) isn't fit to be leader of the country. There's a whole swathe of the country excluded right there.

However, given his clear racism, it does seem more likely that he was using "family man" in the context of "not a gay man". Bigotry rarely focusses itself on a single facet.

I’ve heard that references to “family man/woman” in the context of politicians running for high political office before . It’s insinuating that the only real life experience that counts is that of a person with kids. What does it matter if a politician is married/ single with (or without) children? What matters is their ability to do the job. It’s also implying that government policies should primarily target families and not single/childless people. Are we not in need of well run health and transportation departments, good economic policies and most of all a housing policy that works for all, not just those with offspring?

jh79 wrote: »
    Stupid but not racist?

What is racist about saying something that is true?

'Leo's great grandfather was not a part of the history of this country, Leo obviously is' (check, on both points, as far as I know)

His reasoning for why Leo is not as passionate about his history as he is, is stupid and wrong in my opinion. He wouldn't be getting a vote from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

I dont really care about Sinn Fein, Holohan or Varadkar, their all tossers in my opinion.

However, there is an obvious flaw in Holohans approach that is either being vilified or defended on the other hand here.

For him to say he wants a family man to be in power, in order to be able to make decisions in the best interest of people with families, doesn't see that a family man in power then could be objected to as incapable of making decisions for gay people.

the reality is, someone one capable and competent should be in power, and its none of the f**king morons that are out there today gearing up for the next election.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    given Leo's recent championing of the RIC commemorations I think Holohan is correct . Leo's understanding of being Irish is lacking and very out of tune with the Irish people.

As for the family man - I'd rather vote for somebody I resonated with . Leo has no kids he probably doesn't understand the daily grind of young families.
    Furthermore having being in politics nearly all his adult life I doubt he has any notion what struggles working families go through.

Holohan was speaking the truth only those with no counter argument play ther racist/homophobic card.
    Reflects more on them that they resort that lowest form of debate.

nah it reflects more on yourself if you actually read what he said

"He’s an Irish ­citizen (no, you ****ing dickhead he's fully Irish) but his ­passion doesn’t go back to the times when our passion goes back to.

"My stories from my grandfather would have been of ancient Ireland (your grandad knew ancient Ireland), that would have made my passion and planted the seed and it grew in me where there is no doubt that Leo Varadkar’s grandfather and father would have told him stories of the rebellion in India. (his maternal grandparents were silent or Indian were they)”

so what he didn't have an irish grandad?

Its racist thinking and utter ****ing stupidity.

Advertisement