Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein's Paddy Holohan and homophobia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

jh79 wrote: »
    Matt Cooper said on the radio just now that Mary Lou has accepted his apology and the matter is now closed.

Good for her.

He's a county councillor in my constituency and I don't know if he planned on running for the Dail, but if he is / ever does, he just lost two votes in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

nthclare wrote: »
    I think what he said was taken out of context, maybe saying it could be preferable to have a family man as Taoiseach rather than a single man...

But then again that would be another controversial statement

What about a decent man as opposed to a total bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

What about a decent man as opposed to a total bastard.

A total bastard with some serious tax reforms would be just the ticket, in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

AulWan wrote: »
    Good for her.

He's a county councillor in my constituency and I don't know if he planned on running for the Dail, but if he is / ever does, he just lost two votes in my house.

Has he been any good up to now ?

Matt Cooper said on the radio just now that Mary Lou has accepted his apology and the matter is now closed.

Mary Lou doesn't get to decide if the subject is closed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

dobby896 wrote: »
    It isn't taken out of context when you couple it with the comments made by Holohan about Varadkar coming out.

I never knew that, it's not good.

I once had an Uncle who's dead now and he always maintained that Sinn Feinn had a habit of having really tough talking and rough looking members.

There's a bit of truth there id say

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

jimgoose wrote: »
    A total bastard with some serious tax reforms would be just the ticket, in my book.

So someone from FF possibly so.:)

blanch152 wrote: »
    Sorry? Have you changed your mind on this?

Are you now accusing yourself of snowflakery and FG spinning?

Are we playing gotcha here?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What is racist about saying something that is true?

'Leo's great grandfather was not a part of the history of this country, Leo obviously is' (check, on both points, as far as I know)

His reasoning for why Leo is not as passionate about his history as he is, is stupid and wrong in my opinion. He wouldn't be getting a vote from me.

You can do better than that.

"Leo Varadkar’s blood obviously runs to India you know so his great grandfather is not part of the history of this country, you know what I mean? Now, Leo obviously is, he’s an Irish citizen but his passion doesn’t go back to the times when our passion goes back to,"

Translation of part in bold: Leo isn't as Irish as you and me

As racist as you can get. Stupidly ignorant and boorish as well, because Leo's great grandfather on his mother's side is part of the history of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

So someone from FF possibly so.:)

Cute hoors in the main, but no, nowhere near bastard enough. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

What is racist about saying something that is true?

'Leo's great grandfather was not a part of the history of this country, Leo obviously is' (check, on both points, as far as I know)

His reasoning for why Leo is not as passionate about his history as he is, is stupid and wrong in my opinion. He wouldn't be getting a vote from me.

The other side of his family is Irish.

So you think both sides of your family have to have Irish heritage to be passionate about Irish history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Has he been any good up to now ?

I've no idea, sorry. I haven't exactly been keeping tabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's neither homophobic nor racist, he's only a Councillor voted in because he's a decent guy and former UFC, and not a trained politician, wait another few years until he learns how NOT to answer questions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

but its not ****ing true you absolute melt Francie

His maternal grandparents could have rocked him to sleep with multiple Gaelic tales.

So you deny loads of our heroes their Irishness under your ignorant terms.

I'm pretty sure despite what you think a lad who gets into Irish politics aged 16 is somewhat passionate about the country. I'm no big fan of him cause he hasn't delivered. But thats nothing to do with his heritage or history.

Some absolute idiots in this country.

Nift wrote: »
    but its not ****ing true you absolute melt Francie

His maternal grandparents could have rocked him to sleep with multiple Gaelic tales.

So you deny loads of our heroes their Irishness under your ignorant terms.

But it is true that Varadkar doesn't have much sense of Irish history. Holohan may have just been trying to come up with an explanation.It's

Anyway you've no obligation to give him the benefit of the doubt . He owes your daughter an apology.

This whole 'Irishness' debate is gas.

I've lived in this country for close on 50 years now and plenty of politicians that identify themselves as being Irish and having a heritage to the founding of the Irish state have f**ed us over again and again.

Leo is a tosser like all of those before him, his 'Irishness' or lack of, does not detract from that.

But it is true that Varadkar doesn't have much sense of Irish history. Holohan may have just been trying to come up with an explanation.It's

Anyway you've no obligation to give him the benefit of the doubt . He owes your daughter an apology.

In one example in your viewpoint. have you sat down and chatted with him about other points of Irish history?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The other side of his family is Irish.

So you think both sides of your family have to have Irish heritage to be passionate about Irish history?

Saying somebody is not as passionate about history as you ...is not a definition of racism.

You are being as stupid as Holohan was in trying to make his point.,

Saying somebody is not as passionate about history as you ...is not a definition of racism.

there's only one stupid person here and that's yourself.

On the podcast, he said: "It bugs me to death to understand that he (the Taoiseach) leads this country and that he is so separated not even from society now but he's so separated from the history of this country.

"Now listen. I'm for immigration, I'm for bringing people into the country. I love meeting [people from] new nations.

"Mostly what you'll get is, you'll get people turning up in this country motivated. (leo didn't turn up he was ****ing born here)

"Leo Varadkar’s blood (what are in, Nazi eugenics here? ) obviously runs to India so his great grandfather is not part of the history of this country."

the definition of racism:

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

what he said ticked those boxes. Now its a racist statement. Does it mean he's a racist? No i don't think so. But it means he's a ****ing idiot and not fit for office. And Mary Lou the posh rathgar lass thinks she can sweep it under, all is grand. Typical SF doublespeak. The lad is a representative of SF, as was Gill.

These things matter.

Your blind defence of him is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

jimgoose wrote: »
    Try this: I will under no circumstances vote for an uneducated ginger fartbollix representing a party that will take my money and use it to feed the next generation of murderers. Not happening. Does that work a bit better?

I can't vote paddy anyway but I'll never vote SF . But thanks for the help anyway

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    I can't vote paddy anyway but I'll never vote SF . But thanks for the help anyway

CkZHo_aUgAAz9Sc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

paw patrol wrote: »
    ...... I think Holohan is correct . Leo's understanding of being Irish is lacking and very out of tune with the Irish people.

That's crackers :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Incorrect. He's trying to say what type of person he doesn't want as Taoiseach.

Based on what? Based on his ignorant thoughts that you need be from a certain demographic to understand it. Flawed, but not homophobic. He thinks the more common straight and married would have better insight.
    An ignorant young pup.

there's only one stupid person here and that's yourself.

On the podcast, he said: "It bugs me to death to understand that he (the Taoiseach) leads this country and that he is so separated not even from society now but he's so separated from the history of this country.

"Now listen. I'm for immigration, I'm for bringing people into the country. I love meeting [people from] new nations.

"Mostly what you'll get is, you'll get people turning up in this country motivated. (leo didn't turn up he was ****ing born here)

"Leo Varadkar’s blood (what are in, Nazi eugenics here? ) obviously runs to India so his great grandfather is not part of the history of this country."

the definition of racism:

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

what he said ticked those boxes. Now its a racist statement. Does it mean he's a racist? No i don't think so. But it means he's a ****ing idiot and not fit for office. And Mary Lou the posh rathgar lass thinks she can sweep it under, all is grand. Typical SF doublespeak. The lad is a representative of SF, as was Gill.

These things matter.

Your blind defence of him is sickening.

I'M NOT DEFENDING HIM. His way of making a simple point was ****ing stupid in the extreme. Was it racist...NO it wasn't in any definition of racism I know.

But poster (you) accusing him leaving out the one sentence that shows he isn't being racist???
    What a fecking surprise!!!

How can you be racist when you say somebody is 'obviously a part of our history'?

What he is saying is that he is separate from that history even if he is a part of it.

Exactly what hundreds and thousands were saying about Charlie Flanagan last week.

I'M NOT DEFENDING HIM. His way of making a simple point was ****ing stupid in the extreme. Was it racist...NO it wasn't in any definition of racism I know.

But poster (you) accusing him leaving out the one sentence that shows he isn't being racist???
    What a fecking surprise!!!

How can you be racist when you say somebody is 'obviously a part of our history'?

What he is saying is that he is separate from that history even if he is a part of it.

Exactly what hundreds and thousands were saying about Charlie Flanagan last week.

jaysis. there are no words. You are defending him, his comment was racist (as well as potentially homophobic - harder to say)

Just because my daughter has south african indian heritage makers her no less irish than you or i. No less passionate, no less enthusiastic about Ireland, no less gaelic, not seperated etc etc. And if somebody said that to her i'd break their face. She's 11, just like Leo and his siter was some time in the past. Both Irishmen and women.

I mean is Paddy so certain of his pure blood?

As i said the last weak the irony at least among much of Dublin's SF core is their British heritage, a leftover from the 18th century boomtime in building and dockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nothing personal at all in my post, I criticised what you posted, not being surprised at it.

Boss, some folk shovel shi*e talk for Fine Gael and that's fine. You need to go personal. It's nasty and wouldn't be needed if you could discuss topics like a decent chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Ah Francie, he blamed it on his 1/2 Indian heritage. That's the issue here.

jaysis

That's blasphemous! ;)

Ah Francie, he blamed it on his 1/2 Indian heritage. That's the issue here.

He attributed his separateness from our history to it.

He never at any stage said he was less Irish.

FFS he said clearly that 'it's obvious he is a part of it (our history)'

Call the dogs of war off lads.
    He's stupid, but racism is a bit of a long stretch here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Leo was born and raised in Ireland and his mother is Irish. If you consider Leo to be a lesser Irishman than yourself or your countrymen because of his heritage, then yes you are a racist.

This sort of attitude seems to be shared by the OP who actually considers themselves a superior Irish person on the basis they aren't from a rural part.

Advertisement