Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City General Election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

So far I've had the following call canvassing, in this order since Sunday night.

Brian Leddin - engaging, remembered speaking with my wife and I during the local election. Spoke about his ideas, as opposed to pandering to whatever mine were.

Someone on behalf of Frankie Daly - Said he was a local lad and "We take care of our own". I asked what he was campaigning on and the poor fella honestly had no idea. Not great. I do appreciate that the election caught Daly on the hop, but still.

Jan O'Sullivan - called to the door herself, talked about how the election would be very close and she would appreciate even a 2nd preference. Essentially 2 seats are sown up, the race for the last 2 will be very tight.

Someone on behalf of Kieran O'Donnell - Pathetic, just gave me a leaflet and asked me to give my 2nd preference to Maria Byrne. They couldn't have been less enthusiastic/interested.

Nobody from FF/SF/SD yet. In fact, I'm not sure anyone from SF has ever called to the door now that I think about it and I know from recent elections that our estate would be more left than the average in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That says it all about Daly! He has nothing but the fact he's a local lad but has mostly friends canvassing for him. Not very organised at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I saw him in Casteltroy Shopping Centre yesterday evening organising a group of young fellas to, what it seemed like to me, to go into Super Value and give leaflets to shoppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The posters at the apartment block at Hassets cross are a disgrace blocking the whole ground floor, if i lived there i would be seriously annoyed you cant see out the windows any more.

Anyone who put a campaign poster there is a clown and i presume its private property also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

If you have a problem you can meet him in the pub and he will give advice or direct assistance or direct someone else to advise you as appropriate. He is extremely proactive and helpful.

In other words, he will help you get something you're already entitled to. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Bookies are giving odds on for Willie, Quinlavin, O'Donnell and Collins. Jan O'Sullivan is next at 6-5. The longest odds on a non-headbanger is Jenny Blake at 7-2. Looks fairly open and in line with the consensus here.

washman3 wrote: »
    In other words, he will help you get something you're already entitled to. ;)
    Yes. I think most people encounter situations when their rights aren't being respected, and you need to talk to someone. If your dad is a judge or a TD or something then you're good. Otherwise you might want to chat with someone like Willie O'Dea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

That's funny, I live in St Mary's Park and the Sinn Fein lads worked their socks off to help the people in the area.
    Ah Jonhny, be fair. Kieran was down there throughout the Big flood in 2014. He identified many issues with the flood defenses and started the ball rolling. There has been work done.

I've been down there many times since. I saw myself where there's a gap since those temporary defenses were put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Ah Jonhny, be fair. Kieran was down there throughout the Big flood in 2014. He identified many issues with the flood defenses and started the ball rolling. There has been work done.

I've been down there many times since. I saw myself where there's a gap since those temporary defenses were put up.

I won’t be voting for Kieran but have to say in his defence, he was the first politician I saw in the area that morning. Genuine look of concern on his face too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How could anyone vote for Fianna Fail when they left the country to ruin. They should never be allowed to do that again.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote:
    The posters at the apartment block at Hassets cross are a disgrace blocking the whole ground floor, if i lived there i would be seriously annoyed you cant see out the windows any more.

All removed today shame on any candidate who put posters there including our own boardsie

kilburn wrote: »
    All removed today shame on any candidate who put posters there including our own boardsie
    Who's our own boardsie?

kilburn wrote:

These were all removed when I passed yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Mc Love wrote: »
    How could anyone vote for Fianna Fail when they left the country to ruin. They should never be allowed to do that again.

It was a world wide economic crash.

It was paying off gigantic private debt with public money.

It was paying off gigantic private debt with public money.

Half right, but what was the alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I sincerely hope you don't really believe that nonsense...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Read Tom Gilmartins book...the FF Party was rotten to the core...Dublin in particular has been crippled by dodgy planning!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes economy was built on the house of cards, but that house of cards would have happily stayed standing if the global crash didn't happen. To ignore that fact is quite disingenuous.

BTW, we the people aren't exactly innocent as to what happened either. We happily borrowed beyond our means on the never never for years for things we didn't need or couldn't afford during the 'boom' and repeatedly voted in FF because they made it all possible.

It isn’t nonsense though??! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Yes economy was built on the house of cards, but that house of cards would have happily stayed standing if the global crash didn't happen. To ignore that fact is quite disingenuous.

BTW, we the people aren't exactly innocent as to what happened either. We happily borrowed beyond our means on the never never for years for things we didn't need or couldn't afford during the 'boom' and repeatedly voted in FF because they made it all possible.

All true. But now we’re dealing/have been dealing, with the fallout of FF/FG being in power.
    A vote for FF or FG is a vote for more of the same please.
    If we really want change people must look at the candidates and decide which ones have a real vision?.. which ones are genuine, display integrity?
    Which ones are only career politicians and which ones do nothing more than fix potholes and object to any social housing planning submissions.

This is how I’ll be deciding on my 1/2/3...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

martyc5674 wrote: »
    All true. But now we’re dealing/have been dealing, with the fallout of FF/FG being in power.
    A vote for FF or FG is a vote for more of the same please.
    If we really want change people must look at the candidates and decide which ones have a real vision?.. which ones are genuine, display integrity?
    Which ones are only career politicians and which ones do nothing more than fix potholes and object to any social housing planning submissions.

This is how I’ll be deciding on my 1/2/3...

By your criteria, there are no viable candidates......

By your criteria, there are no viable candidates......

I disagree with you there.

I disagree with you there.
    Who do you see as living up to your ideals?

Still making up my mind. But if it was purely on individuals and not parties, Jan O'Sullivan would get my first preference.

Who do you see as living up to your ideals?

Still making up my mind. But if it was purely on individuals and not parties, Jan O'Sullivan would get my first preference.

I’d agree with that, I also think B Leddin has a good vision for our city. I think those 2 would represent our city well.

martyc5674 wrote:
    I’d agree with that, I also think B Leddin has a good vision for our city. I think those 2 would represent our city well.

His an Taisce blinkered vision great...

kilburn wrote: »
    His an Taisce blinkered vision great...
    I don't get it.

-- Apparently he was the head of an taisce and made some bad decisions including residential development around the cement factory.
    He is also employed by the cement factory and has to recuse himself from council meetings and votes when there is a conflict of interest as a result.
    ___
    What I know is that he wants to cancel road construction projects and try to create dense population centers connected by public transport.

This makes sense but I don't know if he has practical ideas about the bits in between being a commuter village with bad transport infrastructure to a population centre with excellent public transport. Cancelling plans to improve infrastructure doesn't strike me as the most practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

you are having a laugh arent you

represents a party that doesnt want to build the motorway between Limerick and Cork.

Please explain how in the hell that represents the city well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

and while I'm at it the same candidate is a vocal opponent to the Northern Distributor Ring Rod as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Poor old kieran O'Donnell posters. He looks like the infamous Graham O'Dwyer.

Advertisement