Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City General Election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Mc Love wrote: »
    Sure people would have weighed up the risks of living close to a heavy industrial factory?

I have lived close to it all my life and in perfect health. :confused:

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I get that for sure, but it’s an extension of NIMBY. I’m alright Jack etc.
    My job is more important than your health/we were here first blah de blah.

It’s still worth discussing this topic with workers there... I’m sure CRH have given them a different slant on the whole thing.

As have the politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Granadino wrote: »
    I have lived close to it all my life and in perfect health. :confused:

Hard to claim perfect health, we would all have better health if we had cleaner air/water etc. just cos your not feeling ill doesn’t make your health perfect.
    I’m sure others say prone to asthma or other respiratory issues would notice the air quality isn’t perfect.

As have the politicians.

True- I think Bruton is (definitely was) heavily invested in CRH.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Hard to claim perfect health, we would all have better health if we had cleaner air/water etc. just cos your not feeling ill doesn’t make your health perfect.
    I’m sure others say prone to asthma or other respiratory issues would notice the air quality isn’t perfect.

We burn fossil fuels to heat our homes and get from a to b via car or public transport and will continue to do so realistically for at least another 20 years. The cement factory closing (which isn't going to happen) won't change any of our air quality issues.

• Advertisement

That could be applicable almost anywhere. As other poster mentioned, we burn coal use cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

We burn fossil fuels to heat our homes and get from a to b via car or public transport and will continue to do so realistically for at least another 20 years. The cement factory closing (which isn't going to happen) won't change any of our air quality issues.

The cement factory, moneypoint(biggest polluter in Ireland) and even Aughinish(second biggest polluter in Ireland) do have an impact on our health. Air pollution might be mitigated by the fact we are near the coast. Mary I geography department are looking into it at the moment. No research published yet but we should know more in the coming years.

That could be applicable almost anywhere. As other poster mentioned, we burn coal use cars etc.

Doesn’t make any of it right, just cos the lad next door is burning rubbish doesn’t mean you should burn rubbish too.
    CRH are not burning coal to keep warm- that’s the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Doesn’t make any of it right, just cos the lad next door is burning rubbish doesn’t mean you should burn rubbish too.
    CRH are not burning coal to keep warm- that’s the difference.
    You should report your neighbour if they are burning rubbish. We did and they were compelled to stop. Likewise with smoky coal in the smoke free zone.

Nobody should burn coal. Plenty of alternatives that are less damaging regardless of your situation.

So lets wait until fossil fuel burning has stopped before we ask others to clean up their act.. makes perfect sense.
    Work away CRH - were tackling home heating and transport- we’ll get to you in about 20 years

• Advertisement

You should report your neighbour if they are burning rubbish. We did and they were compelled to stop. Likewise with smoky coal in the smoke free zone.

Nobody should burn coal. Plenty of alternatives that are less damaging regardless of your situation.

I think you missed the point.

I think you missed the point.
    I didn't. I just used it as a segue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

So I see the Soc Dems have their finger firmly on the pulse of what the main issues are for the electorate :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So lets wait until fossil fuel burning has stopped before we ask others to clean up their act.. makes perfect sense.
    Work away CRH - were tackling home heating and transport- we’ll get to you in about 20 years

Yeah, make stuff up there why don't you. Not at all what I said. You blamed the cement factory for the air pollution. I pointed out that it's a small part of our current air pollution issues. Issues that aren't going away anytime soon.

Does that mean that they that they shouldn't be held to high standards? No it doesn't. But it doesn't mean they should be shut down either.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    So I see the Soc Dems have their finger firmly on the pulse of what the main issues are for the electorate :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    What's that a reference to? I think they launched their national LGBT policy today in Limerick. Is that what you're talking about?

Flexible working hours and a year's paternity/maternity leave sound good to me. I think their philosophy is to increase public spending for the benefit of everyone, as opposed to the people at the top and bottom of society.

If they had a better candidate then I'd vote for them. Still might - just for the party rather than the individual.

Yeah, make stuff up there why don't you. Not at all what I said. You blamed the cement factory for the air pollution. I pointed out that it's a small part of our current air pollution issues. Issues that aren't going away anytime soon.

Does that mean that they that they shouldn't be held to high standards? No it doesn't. But it doesn't mean they should be shut down either.

Their track record tells us that they are not serious about cleaning up their act. So why should they be allowed operate?
    If there was evidence to the contrary I’d be in favor of them continuing to operate, but it’s not the case.

What's that a reference to? I think they launched their national LGBT policy today in Limerick. Is that what you're talking about?

Flexible working hours and a year's paternity/maternity leave sound good to me. I think their philosophy is to increase public spending for the benefit of everyone, as opposed to the people at the top and bottom of society.

If they had a better candidate then I'd vote for them. Still might - just for the party rather than the individual.

Their philosophies around gender neutral spaces and pushing the gender identity nonsense is a red line for me, they strike me as naive student types who wouldn’t have a ****ing clue how to manage the country in a crisis or emergency scenario (there are no “safe spaces” to retreat to in the real world).

Their philosophies around gender neutral spaces and pushing the gender identity nonsense is a red line for me, they strike me as naive student types who wouldn’t have a ****ing clue how to manage the country in a crisis or emergency scenario (there are no “safe spaces” to retreat to in the real world).
    I don't know much about that stuff. Their policies are good. Their two sitting TDs are a long way from being naive student types.

They definitely attract naive student types and "woke" hip people. Hopefully the latter group won't put everyone else off because their policies and ideology are good.

What is a gender neutral space and why is it a red line for you?

I don't really get the trans thing but I accept that it's a thing. Their brains are physically similar to the gender they identify as. To me that's evidence that there's something to it.

I don't know much about that stuff. Their policies are good. Their two sitting TDs are a long way from being naive student types.

They definitely attract naive student types and "woke" hip people. Hopefully the latter group won't put everyone else off because their policies and ideology are good.

What is a gender neutral space and why is it a red line for you?

A gender neutral facility allows those who identify as female or male but actually aren’t, to enter places with actual men/females such as changing rooms etc. The biggest issue here is there is already reported cases of sex attacks occurring where this has been introduced - how could that possibly happen when any predator can simply identify as a female to access it?

The same with the hate speech legislation that’s ongoing at the moment - they technically want to make it an offence to call out this bull**** as your comments will be enough basis for the persons feelings getting hurt and the onus will you be on to defend your words.

Any party promoting this bollixolgy can **** right off along with the rest of the acolytes who promote it, their other policies are irrelevant with this in the picture. And you are spot on - it’s exactly the woke types they are trying to get a vote from.

A gender neutral facility allows those who identify as female or male but actually aren’t, to enter places with actual men/females such as changing rooms etc. The biggest issue here is there is already reported cases of sex attacks occurring where this has been introduced - how could that possibly happen when any predator can simply identify as a female to access it?

The same with the hate speech legislation that’s ongoing at the moment - they technically want to make it an offence to call out this bull**** as your comments will be enough basis for the persons feelings getting hurt and the onus will you be on to defend your words.

Any party promoting this bollixolgy can **** right off along with the rest of the acolytes who promote it, their other policies are irrelevant with this in the picture. And you are spot on - it’s exactly the woke types they are trying to get a vote from.
    I dunno. Why not just use cubicles instead of communal spaces for stuff like that. Don't think a little picture on a door is going to prevent too many sex attacks anyway. Seems like people get too worked up about this stuff on both sides.

I do agree with hate speech being made illegal in the sense of not using racial slurs and things like that. Some people seem to take it overboard though and interpret any criticism as hate speech, which it clearly isn't.

• Advertisement

I dunno. Why not just use cubicles instead of communal spaces for stuff like that. Don't think a little picture on a door is going to prevent too many sex attacks anyway. Seems like people get too worked up about this stuff on both sides.

I do agree with hate speech being made illegal in the sense of not using racial slurs and things like that. Some people seem to take it overboard though and interpret any criticism as hate speech, which it clearly isn't.

That’s not the point - not sure if you have kids but would you be comfortable with the idea of your daughter or wife being forced to share a changing room with a man (who simply thinks or claims he’s female) but has everything still in place?

As for the hate speech thing, it’s a fascists wet dream to police speech or even try to.

That’s not the point - not sure if you have kids but would you be comfortable with the idea of your daughter or wife being forced to share a changing room with a man (who simply thinks or claims he’s female) but has everything still in place?

As for the hate speech thing, it’s a fascists wet dream to police speech or even try to.
    Cubicles would be the simplest solution. They should just do that.

I've a son. I won't do an "If I had a daughter" thing because I don't - so I don't know.

The other side of the argument is that a guy who is trans [or whatever the correct wording is ] would be to feel very uncomfortable going into a male changing room. I've never encountered that but I'm sure I would feel uncomfortable on their behalf. I imagine it would make them so uncomfortable it might stop most of them from doing it.

So, since I accept that being trans is a real thing (even if I don't get it) - and I think people should have the same basic rights to do things like go swimming - then I do agree with making provision for them.

Just make gender neutral cubicles the norm - not a big deal. No idea what the soc dems policy actually is on this stuff - except I heard it was good policy presented badly.

Anyway we've dragged this thread off topic quite a bit so we should leave it at this point.

Current odds
    Willie 1/25
    Maurice 1/14
    Kieran O’D 4/11
    James C 4/9
    Frankie 6/4
    Brian L 11/4
    Jan 4/1

Make of it what you will, I’d say the last 2 could shift around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Fine Gael very weak ticket in Limerick...Maria Byrne seriously...

Maurice & Willie both get a seat... don't know about the other 2 seats, Leddin is an interesting one too...will that green wave continue?

If SF had run more candidates Mary Lou might have been the next taioseach. Mad how they did sh!t in the locals and a few months ago people were thinking Maurice might lose his seat when the election came around. Don't think they're doing anything differently, it's just people are realising how utterly sh!t FFG are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

If SF had run more candidates Mary Lou might have been the next taioseach. Mad how they did sh!t in the locals and a few months ago people were thinking Maurice might lose his seat when the election came around. Don't think they're doing anything differently, it's just people are realising how utterly sh!t FFG are.

It will be interesting to see how the opinion polls transfer into votes, traditionally SF haven't gotten many transfers from other candidates so they might not end up with as many seats as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Current odds
    Willie 1/25
    Maurice 1/14
    Kieran O’D 4/11
    James C 4/9
    Frankie 6/4
    Brian L 11/4
    Jan 4/1

Make of it what you will, I’d say the last 2 could shift around a bit.

2 Fianna Fail by the reckoning! People of Limerick :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

damowill wrote: »
    2 Fianna Fail by the reckoning! People of Limerick :eek:

Yeah people will always vote who they've voted for previously. They dont blame the politicians for how the party screwed the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

pretty abysmal or un inspiring list of candidates ! are people sure Maurice will get in :confused: I'd guess the only seat that's a cert is willie's

On the cement factory, anyone have links to all these breaches they have commited (i do vaguely remember one incidence but don't know of many others ?) preferrbly not a biased opinion and how these incidents compare to the other type factory's of this ilk ?

• Advertisement

geotrig wrote: »
    pretty abysmal or un inspiring list of candidates ! are people sure Maurice will get in :confused: I'd guess the only seat that's a cert is willie's

Going by the local elections I'd have said Quinlivan was trouble. However if the polls are correct he's a shoe in.

Willie has to bring Collins in with his surplus if he's to have any chance of a cabinet post, so I see both of them getting in.

Finally there's always a FG seat in the city which will go to O'Donnell, who got more first preferences than O'Sullivan last time out, but lost out on preferences.

Advertisement