Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City General Election

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

geotrig wrote: »
    pretty abysmal or un inspiring list of candidates

while the candidates may be uninspiring, compared to other areas at least we have a decent spread with 10 parties/inds to choose from.

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/70/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Going by the local elections I'd have said Quinlivan was trouble. However if the polls are correct he's a shoe in.

Willie has to bring Collins in with his surplus if he's to have any chance of a cabinet post, so I see both of them getting in.

Finally there's always a FG seat in the city which will go to O'Donnell, who got more first preferences than O'Sullivan last time out, but lost out on preferences.

Maria Byrne appears to be closing ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Gael23 wrote: »

If you're talking about the poles on Henry St, I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Gael23 wrote: »

Free tea and scones all round......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah people will always vote who they've voted for previously. They dont blame the politicians for how the party screwed the country

Pretty certain if Collins gets in, it will be off transfers from Willie... although heard some stories of people canvassing for Willie suggesting to give Frankie Daly the 2nd preference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

washman3 wrote: »
    Free tea and scones all round......;)
    Very very expensive tea and scones all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Pretty certain if Collins gets in, it will be off transfers from Willie... although heard some stories of people canvassing for Willie suggesting to give Frankie Daly the 2nd preference

I can confirm ths ' That Frankie's a nice fella' verbatim quote from the FF canvasser. Also noted how Collins posters say vote O'Dea Number 2 ( or continue preference etc) but O'Dea's don't reciprocate .
    I still think there is enough of a left of centre vote ( after SF ) to elect either Leddin or Jan O'Sullivan , depending on how transfers go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

topcat72 wrote: »
    I can confirm ths ' That Frankie's a nice fella' verbatim quote from the FF canvasser. Also noted how Collins posters say vote O'Dea Number 2 ( or continue preference etc) but O'Dea's don't reciprocate .
    I still think there is enough of a left of centre vote ( after SF ) to elect either Leddin or Jan O'Sullivan , depending on how transfers go.

Collins material says Collins No.1 and O'Dea No.2. All O'Deas material says continue your preference to Collins. So while not as obvious and putting a vote No 2, it's incorrect to say that O'Dea doesn't reciprocate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In fairness James Collins even mentioned on Twitter at the start of the campaign that he was reusing some old canvassing material and so not all of it would mention Willie.

I did notice someone put up some really old posters of Willie describing him as part of Bertie's team for Limerick. Not convinced these were hung by official members of the O'Dea machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

topcat72 wrote: »

Willie wants his vote to stay with him, then go local, not to another FF colleague. Another FF colleague will mean some wane in his clout and his ability to get those minor things done that he thrives in. Willie is the Limerick city Healy Rae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

All banging on about the environment, but the amount of waste leaflets/flyers coming in from politicians in the letterbox, not to mention the posters on poles....

Granadino wrote: »
    All banging on about the environment, but the amount of waste leaflets/flyers coming in from politicians in the letterbox, not to mention the posters on poles....

Including the Green Party too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

There's a Labour candidate in Mayo who is distributing 5000 saplings instead of leaflets

pigtown wrote: »
    There's a Labour candidate in Mayo who is distributing 5000 saplings instead of leaflets
    That's both impressive and expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

When did paper leaflets become bad for the environment?

keane2097 wrote: »
    When did paper leaflets become bad for the environment?

Its utterly wasteful...Each party should have a website with all the information as well as maybe a Youtube Q&A for their potential constituents...Its just one of the many issues facing the environment and the current economic model of unsustainable "growth", make lots of deposable stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Its utterly wasteful...Each party should have a website with all the information as well as maybe a Youtube Q&A for their potential constituents...Its just one of the many issues facing the environment and the current economic model of unsustainable "growth", make lots of deposable stuff

Agree with this but unless it’s regulated the poster lunacy will continue. I think the posters should be numbered and a limit of say 100 per candidate.
    The likes of Willie has thousands of posters up cos he knows he’s safe, therefore he’ll recoup his expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Go with the French system blank billboards are erected at different points all election posters can only be displayed there and no where else.

sioda wrote: »
    Go with the French system blank billboards are erected at different points all election posters can only be displayed there and no where else.
    Apparently a village can disallow posters or restrict them in this sort of manner.

Was still unsure when I cast my vote. I'd favour the soc dems as a party, but I really don't like their candidate. Went with 1. Leddin, 2. O'Sullivan, 3. Blake. Filled up the rest of it to put aontu and national party last. Was more a vote against things than for anyone this time tbh.

• Advertisement

Well after seeing the exit poll I'll stick with my prediction of 2 x FF, 1 x SF and 1 x FG (O'Donnell). We'll see tomorrow if I'm right!

Well after seeing the exit poll I'll stick with my prediction of 2 x FF, 1 x SF and 1 x FG (O'Donnell). We'll see tomorrow if I'm right!

I have a really strange feeling that Frankie may sneak in, from talking to numerous people in the city today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Spot on I think

I have a really strange feeling that Frankie may sneak in, from talking to numerous people in the city today
    I'd get that looked at if I was you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

O'Donnell and Byrne may suffer from the anti FG backlash while O'Sullivan will hold firm.O'Dea's surplus won't be enough to bring Collins in.
    1FF 1SF 1LAB 1FG.

Willie has one of the largest surplus votes in Ireland....
    Jan, lovely lady will loose .
    Fg ran 2 appallingly bad candidates, KOD will get in and the Shinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

c.p.w.g.w wrote:

Frankie is a total clown and shame on the people of limerick if that Half wit gets in

chicorytip wrote: »
    O'Donnell and Byrne may suffer from the anti FG backlash while O'Sullivan will hold firm.O'Dea's surplus won't be enough to bring Collins in.
    1FF 1SF 1LAB 1FG.

Did you see the exit poll? The FG backlash didn't happen. They got the highest poll (admittedly by only 0.1%).

Labour got 3.6%. I stick with my prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Did you see the exit poll? The FG backlash didn't happen. They got the highest poll (admittedly by only 0.1%).

Labour got 3.6%. I stick with my prediction.

It’s FGs lowest since 2002

• Advertisement

It’s FGs lowest since 2002

That (if true) doesn't take away from the point I was making

Advertisement