Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election: Fianna Fáil - pretending we don't remember

Options
  • 16-01-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭

Some people's memories seem a little flaky...mine isn't.

I thought, in the interests of fairness, since there are threads criticising other parties we should have a thread dedicated to the countless lives destroyed or negatively affected in this country by Fianna Fáil's march to national bankruptcy the last time they were in office.

Where to start?

Ireland's finance minister to push for EU, IMF bailout

It's not about being pro anyone else but we should never forget what happened to our country through wreckless mismanagement of our affairs by Fianna Fáil.

It shocks and depresses me that they seem close to being able to form the next government. :(

I promise a headline a day from 2010 between now and the election.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Genuine question - are they the same Fianna Fáil?

I often hear people saying the same as yourself. They got us into the 2008 mess etc., so we can't have them in again but is it possible that they have changed internal structures and policies?

The housing bubble bursting was an indirect result of the 2007 crisis that hit the banks in the states, so was it really their fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Or maybe FG are so similar, what's the harm?
    Children's hospital.
    Bailey.
    Murphy.
    Harris.
    National broadband.
    Leo.
    Etc.
    Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Yes. The leader of the party, the deputy leader and many of the front bench were in place during FF's last round in power either as government ministers or other executive positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I often hear people saying the same as yourself. They got us into the 2008 mess etc., so we can't have them in again but is it possible that they have changed internal structures and policies?

The housing bubble bursting was an indirect result of the 2007 crisis that hit the banks in the states, so was it really their fault?

Yes, they are, an institutional political party like FF takes generations to change no matter what internal restructuring is done.

Being hit by the housing crisis is one thing, but their reaction was to assume ALL debts of the financial institutions who had gambled with our economy.

It was Fianna Fáil who in 2002 removed the need to include social and affordable housing within new developments to allow developers to be able to push up the prices of their exclusives projects and lead to further ghettoisation of socially deprived areas. This was long before any financial crisis and is still a factor in today's housing crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

37d1e-michealmartinff.jpg?w=194

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I find FF's attempts to paint themselves as the people's party quite contemptuous. I will not forget anyway as I am amongst that generation that got absolutely shafted in this country for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Some people's memories seem a little flaky...mine isn't.

I thought, in the interests of fairness, since there are threads criticising other parties we should have a thread dedicated to the countless lives destroyed or negatively affected in this country by Fianna Fáil's march to national bankruptcy the last time they were in office.

Where to start?

Ireland's finance minister to push for EU, IMF bailout

It's not about being pro anyone else but we should never forget what happened to our country through wreckless mismanagement of our affairs by Fianna Fáil.

It shocks and depresses me that they seem close to being able to form the next government. :(

I promise a headline a day from 2010 between now and the election.

They were part of the present government, FG had no problems with accepting the support of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The locals last year showed that people have forgiven them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Martin is still there and was there through all of it. He handily got himself Foreign Affairs during the worst of it. The bubble they fed by stoking construction. At one stage IIRC it was at 14% of the economy, almost double an average construction sector. McCreevy did try to put a brake of sorts on spending, muttered a warning and he got dispatched to Europe. So yeah they do own that part of it. They also cost us a packet long-term with benchmarking with no great effort to get any productivity improvements out of it. Ironic that it eventually was a Labour minister in Howlin, who was tasked with PS reform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

FF have waited for the penny to drop with voters that FG are no better or worse because they are all the same belly of pups.

This gives them a 50/50 chance of leading the next government.

I for one do not beleive that FF were responsible for the crash, during their last term in government Enda Kenny consistently berated them for lack of spending, to much regulation and budgets that were too conservative.

If FG had been in government the crash would have been the same, the outcome the same. They are the same people and would have made the same decisions.

The major party in government will be either FG or FF, that’s a sure bet. Who will make up the minority team will be more interesting, I expect the greens, I probably fear the greens too.

SF are a professional opposition party, I don’t think even they want to see SF in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I've no time for FF and I've no time for FF as they are really two sides of the same coin.
    However I'm not giving my vote to those on the looney left who want houses for everyone and tax increases to pay for it.
    So who the hell do I vote for?
    I'm thinking greens and social democrats as they are the two most centre parties remaining when you take fffg out of the equation.
    Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Short answer yes.
    Yeah they may put some of the newer TDs like Chambers or MacSharry out as the 'fresh' face of the party but there's no change in reality

List below are TD's who served during the Ahern years, most of them as ministers. That's also not including those who 'retired' in disgrace in 2011 but subsequently had a relative elected to the seat (e.g. Brian/Barry Cowen)

Micheal Martin 1989 - present
    Michael McGrath 2007- present
    Dara Colleary 2007-present
    Thomas Byrne 2007-11. 2016-present
    Niall Collins 2007-present
    John Curran 2002-2011, 2016 - present
    Timmy Dooley 2007-present
    Sean Fleming 2007-present
    Pat The Cope Gallagher 1981-97, 2002-2009, 2016-present
    Sean Haughey 1992-2011, 2016 - present
    Billy Kelleher 1997-2019
    Michael Moynihan 1997-present
    John McGuinness 1997-present
    Darragh O'Brien 2007-2011 , 2016 - present
    Eamonn O'Cuiv 1997-present
    Willie O'Dea 1992-present
    Sean O'Fearghail 2002-present
    Eamonn Scanlon 2007-2011, 2016-present
    Brendan Smith 1992-present
    Bobby Aylward 2007-2011. 2015-present

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

What bailout said these pair...

image.jpg

My stomach still turns when I see or hear this.

Just so people don't think FF are getting a raw deal in history, groat(Bertie) from 1997-2003 was economy-wide, from 2003 it was predominantly from construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭griffin100

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Or maybe FG are so similar, what's the harm?
    Children's hospital.
    Bailey.
    Murphy.
    Harris.
    National broadband.
    Leo.
    Etc.
    Etc.

C'mon, you can't equate any of that with the decades of debt FF landed on the country, the mass emigration, the abject despair and misery their policies caused when they came home to roost and the lives and families destroyed. I'm not saying your list isn't valid, you just cannot equate them.

Looking at the 2010 cabinet when we had FF and the Greens in power, I see a lot of familiar names still on the ballot papers - Martin, Cowen (the even thicker version than we had in 2010), O Cuiv, Hanafin, O'Dea, plus Ryan from the Greens. If they all get elected we could have a ten year reunion with the IMF and the Troika later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

2007 election
    mmartin07a1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

Nobody is willing to vote for the other small parties so it'll switch between FG and FF until the next do nothing government or crash the entire economy government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Nobody is willing to vote for the other small parties so it'll switch between FG and FF until the next do nothing government or crash the entire economy government.

So your telling me this country is destined to swap between these bellends for the foreseeable future.
    It's depressing really. Someone needs to put together a viable alternative where spending public money is held accountable to individual ministers and money is pumped into infrastructure.

tom1ie wrote: »
    So your telling me this country is destined to swap between these bellends for the foreseeable future.
    It's depressing really. Someone needs to put together a viable alternative where spending public money is held accountable to individual ministers and money is pumped into infrastructure.
    There are no other viable options as both parties have got good at what makes them successful, appealing to the maximum number of voters. Others tend to be too hamstrung by idealistic leanings, which are not widely held.

• Advertisement

It's a fake election, FG were happy for to be propped up by FF. Roles will more than likely be reversed in the next GE. The laughable part is some believe the crash would have been different or never happened had FG been at the wheel when the evidence of previous budgets and FG's berating of FF for not spending more contradict that contention.
    It will be the same circus just a different cast of clowns running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That is what we have done for the last 40 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

_Brian wrote: »
    I for one do not beleive that FF were responsible for the crash, during their last term in government Enda Kenny consistently berated them for lack of spending, to much regulation and budgets that were too conservative.

So it was FGs fault the whole time!

I thought maybe it was because of external factors in the global economy, but it turns out it was FG the whole time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

/\/ollog wrote: »

The small parties and Inds have more seats than they ever had before.
    The problem is that most of them didn't want to go into government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I'm thinking greens and social democrats as they are the two most centre parties remaining when you take fffg out of the equation.
    Am I wrong?

You see FF & FG incorporate parts of the Greens and SDs - they aim to be all things to as many people as possible. The SDs are grand but they're a party of two TDs, with two leaders... could be gone tomorrow. The Greens are around longer and I used to vote for them and might still do, but they are increasingly an urban party and many of their admirable policies assume that everyone lives in large towns & cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

griffin100 wrote: »
    C'mon, you can't equate any of that with the decades of debt FF landed on the country, the mass emigration, the abject despair and misery their policies caused when they came home to roost and the lives and families destroyed. I'm not saying your list isn't valid, you just cannot equate them.

Looking at the 2010 cabinet when we had FF and the Greens in power, I see a lot of familiar names still on the ballot papers - Martin, Cowen (the even thicker version than we had in 2010), O Cuiv, Hanafin, O'Dea, plus Ryan from the Greens. If they all get elected we could have a ten year reunion with the IMF and the Troika later this year.
    I took the hit with the pay cuts being a PS so I remember exactly what went on. But as another poster said, FG were only too happy to lie down with them right up until 2 days ago.

So yes, no difference between the two parties as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

_Brian wrote: »

Would you absolve FG of responsibility if they had been in power for the years that led to the crash? If they had policies such as "If I have it I'll spend it"?

Perhaps any or all of the opposition parties would have left us in the same boat. Maybe in an even worse situation. But that does not absolve FF, who were in power and were calling the shots. No other party has ever left the country in the state they left it.

FF were in power for a full decade leading up tho the crash. If any other party was in power during this period, people would grab the opportunity to lift some of the blame from FF. Maybe the majority of the blame. But no, it was FF all the way.

Having said that, maybe they have changed. But they don't need to, as long as there are people willing to overlook their responsibility for the bankrupting of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I've had a gutfull of FG at this stage. I won't be voting FF, but I suppose I'll put up with them. Another term of FG and I'll probably end up self-immolating on Kildare street like one of those Vietnamese monks.

tjhook wrote: »

Having said that, maybe they have changed. But they don't need to, as long as there are people willing to overlook their responsibility for the bankrupting of the country.

The first people publicly to overlook the responsibility for where the country was back in 2011 was FG who were happy to accept the support of FF for the last 4 years. Bit difficult to try and paint FF as irresponsible and bad when you accept their support. Hypocrisy tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

The first people publically to overlook the responsibility for where the country was back in 2011 was FG who were were happy to accept the support of FF for the last 4 years. Bit difficult to try and paint FF as irresponsible and bad when you accept their support. Hypocrisy tbh.

I remember FG being berated for harping on too much about FF's legacy.

There's quite a bit of difference between bankrupting the country and accepting the support of the people who bankrupted the country. The public gave FF sufficient votes that it was difficult/impossible to form a government without their support.

Anyway, I'm sick of this government, I'd love a change. Preferably a government that has an interest in the concerns of the ordinary PAYE worker. But I'm not holding my breath.

Advertisement