Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election: Fianna Fáil - pretending we don't remember

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

jimgoose wrote: »

Not much of a source when you can't actually read any of the comments or details is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not much of a source when you can't actually read any of the comments or details is it.

It doesn't really matter to be honest. There is a household boardcast charge coming who implements it is irrelevant. It would already be on the books only FG was not going to do it before a GE. But like FF they certainly will after. It has already being flagged by the Communications minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It doesn't really matter to be honest. There is a household boardcast charge coming who implements it is irrelevant. It would already be on the books only FG was not going to do it before a GE. But like FF they certainly will after. It has already being flagged by the Communications minister.

Rabbite was talking on that back in the coalition I recall. Basically if you have anything, phone, telly, PC etc, you need pay it. be very hard to get out of.
    I think it's wrong. They need look at RTE and quit penalising the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I have never voted FF.
    Grew up watching that fooking corrupt thieving pri** haughey and seeing his local sleeveen lackie flynn.
    Then we had bertie with likes of lawlor, flynn, lying corrupt burke and laterally that gimp Cowen.

I will admit to having been a FG voter for most if not all of the time.
    At one stage appeared somewhat honest and hardworking, pretty socially progressive even if led sometimes by wantabe Brits like Bruton.

But laterally the arrogance and incompetent wastage of tax payers money in Irish Water, Childrens Hospital, National Broadband has shown a very dislikeable side to them.
    Added to that the pandering to leftie idiotic liberalism with idiots like Zappone given a seat at cabinet, drives to give travellers their own identity so that they can become officially immune to criticism, drives to dump so called refugees/asylum seekers, but actually more often than not just ill prepapred ill fitting economic migrants on unsuspecting ill prepared small already doomed communities has been taking the proverbial p***.

But where is the alternative?

Labour, the party that shove as many of their own into positions of power once their feet are under the table.
    Used to vote for them, but gave up.

Greens, the party that whistled and whinged about a stag hunt whilst FF sold out our economic independence and now led by a fooking loon that thinks we can have wolves wandering around.

Sinn fein - the party with all the links to murderers and I am not just talking about guys who people claim were volunteer soldiers during the troubles but guys that gutted someone on a street in Belfast in broad daylight, guys that beat the cr** out of a poor guy in a shed in Monaghan, riddled a Garda in a car in Limerick.
    And the party that have the economic nous of a teenager.

PBP - another left leaning bunch of whining halfwits.

Social democrats - see above.

Independents - a few ok but mostly disgruntled from other parties and me feiners playing to the locals.

All in all it is really fooking depressing.

I would gladly like to see a party a bit like the original PDs.
    No not the latter day PDs who played second fiddle to the worst of FF while dominated by self serving fat fooks like Harney or arrogant twats like Mcdowell, but the original with O'Malley.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think it would be a pretty extraordinary situation if you found a party (big or small) where you agreed with all their policies and also liked every member of their team. The whole idea of a democracy (particularly PR-STV) is that everyone gets their say and the cards fall where they fall. The downside to this is that most people don't get the outcome they want and the government is almost always a compromise for everybody.

I much prefer this system to the UK (where the results are stacked by far in favour of the large parties) or the US (blue good, red bad - or vice-versa)

Basically, vote for the least worst option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

But laterally the arrogance and incompetent wastage of tax payers money in Irish Water, Childrens Hospital, National Broadband has shown a very dislikeable side to them.

totally onboard with you about the above, but the depressing thing is, if it wasnt going into worthwhile projects (the NBP is a very questionable one) it would be going on s**te like welfare increases etc, its a better use of the money than that. There has been a colossal neglect and under funding of infrastructure here, since the foundation of the state!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    totally onboard with you about the above, but the depressing thing is, if it wasnt going into worthwhile projects (the NBP is a very questionable one) it would be going on s**te like welfare increases etc, its a better use of the money than that. There has been a colossal neglect and under funding of infrastructure here, since the foundation of the state!

You are guessing. More likely it would go on some other over run, based on form.
    We've Broadband coming, that'll be another sh*t show, again, based on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rabbite was talking on that back in the coalition I recall. Basically if you have anything, phone, telly, PC etc, you need pay it. be very hard to get out of.
    I think it's wrong. They need look at RTE and quit penalising the public.

Surely if you want 'public service broadcasting', the public will end up paying for it in one form or another?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I really don't understand this argument that Fine Gael have been so bad that they have made Fianna Fail look good.

Why hasn't the alleged incompetence of Fine Gael made Sinn Fein look good? Or PBP? Or Solidarity or the Social Democrats? Those parties are languishing in the polls and losing votes, surely that means that they are worse than Fine Gael?

At least Labour and the Greens are increasing in the polls and can at least claim that they are getting some votes from Fine Gael, but the others must really be awful if the narrative about Fine Gael being so bad is true.

Surely if you want 'public service broadcasting', the public will end up paying for it in one form or another?

Obviously. However their ineptitude and bad management shouldn't be rewarded by visiting it upon the public.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    I really don't understand this argument that Fine Gael have been so bad that they have made Fianna Fail look good.

Why hasn't the alleged incompetence of Fine Gael made Sinn Fein look good? Or PBP? Or Solidarity or the Social Democrats? Those parties are languishing in the polls and losing votes, surely that means that they are worse than Fine Gael?

At least Labour and the Greens are increasing in the polls and can at least claim that they are getting some votes from Fine Gael, but the others must really be awful if the narrative about Fine Gael being so bad is true.

People before profit, which is also Solidarity which also has about 5 different names. Same crowd......never seen such a shower of gobsheens in all my life!!!

I still remember the video they launched, great idea....build a s**t load of houses in the green area in Mulhuddard....then everyone in the area pointed out

1. no schools
    2. traffic chaos already
    3. Sewage system cant even cater for the house already build
    4. No green area left for the kids to play in

They removed that soon after. I do admit they did at least try to do some good, more than the boyos in Kerry have any done.

None of those parties have any answers, all they shout aboutis giving more money to the wasters of the country. So they get a few votes from them. Last election Coppinger had a few homeless mothers with her, dragged her to every meeting and threw them in front of cameras.....will be the same crack this time.....useless

You are guessing. More likely it would go on some other over run, based on form.
    We've Broadband coming, that'll be another sh*t show, again, based on form.

But as a nation, of multiple governments, we are sh** at delivering major projects.
    I wasn't around for the electrification, but I bet that some connected ones were the ones that did well out of it.

The original Ardnacrusha scheme was brave, forward thinking for a broke brand new state and government to undertake.
    It was truly looking long term.

Likewise the rollout of our digital phone system in the 80s was smart.
    They did deals with major providers like Ericcson and Alcatel and got them to setup here.

But by fook we have excelled at costly overrun and ill thought out projects with never any fallout for the ones responsible.

Luas was a fooking disaster with the likes of Montpellier starting the planning at same stage but getting a functioning system years ahead of us. Then we got two unconnected lines. :o

They had barely finished the M50 when they started widening it. And it was obvious for long time that was going to happen.

The Port tunnel not future proofed.

The Toll Bridge contracts which were give aways for connected types.

Selling out our sugar industry because minister could not be bothered reading the briefs.

Selling our telephone infrastructure to a private entity and not learning from the cockups of our nearest neighbour.

E-voting totally not fit for purpose and no reprecussions for those that refused point blank to listen to expert opinion.

PPARS where no one shouted stop and no ones' ass was fired.

The Childrens Hospital, the longest running and probably most expensive worst located one in world history.
    Watch out for new maternity hospital.

Now national broadband where contract bidding was down to one who charges what they like and can sell it after 9 years with no fallout.

Ehh wouldn't call what RTE spew out public service broadcasting.
    Slanted half truths and lecturing people that don't buy into their incestous claptrap.

I would give public service broadcasting award for TV to TNaG.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jmayo wrote: »

Ehh wouldn't call what RTE spew out public service broadcasting.
    Slanted half truths and lecturing people that don't buy into their incestous claptrap.

I would give public service broadcasting award for TV to TNaG.

Fine, but you realise who ultimately pays for that service?

Someone mentioned schools in Mulhuddard ...

We have over the years and still today a planning system that builds sh** loads of housing with no services in place.
    For instance I know of a situation in parts of North Wicklow where kids in 5 & 6th have no secondary schools to now go to this year or next.
    There is new school only now getting go ahead in Greystones.

And like all new schools it seems in Ireland they won't fooking physically exist for at least 3 years.
    Yes it take at least 3 years to build and kit them out. Even then you have to worry if the buidler pulled a fast one with our so called regulators.
    So yes the kids get to do science and just maybe woodwork & metalwork, but they get to spend half their secondary education in prefabs and no facilities.
    Maybe they might get a few computers to shove in the corner of one of the prefabs.
    So much for our first world education system that will build our great knowledge economy. :rolleyes:

This need for new school places was abvious for years because those kids were on the rolls in national schools for years.
    They didn't just magically appear overnight.
    But was anything done about it.

And this is the country that wants to take in thousands of immigrants.

Fine, but you realise who ultimately pays for that service?

Yes public service broadcasting needs to be funded, but self promoting arrogant overpaid related shytes spewing cr** do not.
    Generations of some families have grown quite fat and comfortable in RTE off the taxpayers funding.
    There were more dynasties in RTE than in the history of China.

RTE much like Aer Lingus was a jobs for the boys and girls.

If you got into one of them back in the 60s, 70s or 80s you were sitting cushy and it wasn't a job for life but an opening for the entire family.

Someone mentioned schools in Mulhuddard ...

We have over the years and still today a planning system that builds sh** loads of housing with no services in place.
    For instance I know of a situation in parts of North Wicklow where kids in 5 & 6th have no secondary schools to now go to this year or next.
    There is new school only now getting go ahead in Greystones.

And like all new schools it seems in Ireland they won't fooking physically exist for at least 3 years.
    Yes it take at least 3 years to build and kit them out.
    So yes the kids get to do science and just maybe woodwork & metalwork but they get to spend half their secondary education in prefabs and no facilities.
    All of this was abvious for years because those kids were on the rolls in national schools for years, they didn't just magically appear overnight.
    And this is the country that wants to take in thousands of immigrants.

What have immigrants got to do with it?

FG lack of investment in schools is the issue.

What have immigrants got to do with it?

FG lack of investment in schools is the issue.

It is not just FG, it is all governments.
    This has been going on for years.
    It is Dept of Education, it is lack of planning and forethought.

And immigrants have a huge bearing on this.
    Around the country you have large number of immigrants, both the ones legally here to work and fill positions and those that turn up looking to be take in.
    A lot of them have kids or start having kids.
    And kids need school places.

Our own population has grown, we have not much emigration so we also have increasing numbers.

Now there aren't enough places for all these kids and it isn't an issue that appeared overnight.

It is the same argument with hospital beds.
    Increasing population needs more beds, not the same or even fooking worse, less.

Around the country you have large number of immigrants, both the ones legally here to work and fill positions and those that turn up looking to be take in.

Our own population has grown, we have not much emigration so we also have increasing numbers.

Now there aren't enough places for all these kids and it isn't an issue that appeared overnight.

Increasing population needs more beds, not the same or even fooking worse, less.

All governments is FG/FF pretty much.
    Difference is FF give the public a taste while they fill their own pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes public service broadcasting needs to be funded, but self promoting arrogant overpaid related shytes spewing cr** do not.
    Generations of some families have grown quite fat and comfortable in RTE off the taxpayers funding.
    There were more dynasties in RTE than in the history of China.

RTE much like Aer Lingus was a jobs for the boys and girls.

If you got into one of them back in the 60s, 70s or 80s you were sitting cushy and it wasn't a job for life but an opening for the entire family.

why dont RTE want to touch most things? the same old **** on their current affairs. Why dont they investigate government spending, why dont they go undercover and investigate insurance fraud. People gaming the housing system. How many single mothers, are getting benefits to the tune of well enough paid workers! Why wont they touch these issues?

I dont watch any of their CRAP! but that would have me tuning in! Imagine actually reporting on topical issues!

Here is a great idea for reality tv, houses are rented beside the rte "stars" and we put travelers in and we follow their journey for a month, lets so how great the acting of these RTE liars is, should be pretty good given the amount they are paid! Peter casey can be the narrator!

here is a fantastic vote grabber as a new party! Rte licencse fee abolition, maybe one state channel, the state propaganda piece news, current affairs and irish content only, possibly amalgamate rte and TG4. Thats it!

What a pile of bulls**t.

If you want to see issues with over population in Mulhuddard look around at all the wannabe Margaret Cash's knocking around with 6+ kids hanging out of them. All for the childrens allowance

If you want to cut down on the number of kids, you need to start with the Irish before going looking anywhere else.....

The best method to stop these "mothers" is stop children allowance after a set number of kids. If they want more then pay themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What a pile of bulls**t.

If you want to see issues with over population in Mulhuddard look around at all the wannabe Margaret Cash's knocking around with 6+ kids hanging out of them. All for the childrens allowance

If you want to cut down on the number of kids, you need to start with the Irish before going looking anywhere else.....

The best method to stop these "mothers" is stop children allowance after a set number of kids. If they want more then pay themselves

Great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Micheal Noonan said young people like to go aboard for experience, i'll have a look for the article.

Got it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/family-fury-as-noonan-says-young-emigrate-for-lifestyle-26813027.html

He said some people. Which is true. Are you suggesting no young people ever left Ireland because they wanted to broaden their experience or see the world?

Secondly he had a point. FG inherited a collapsed economy from FF. If someone had the opportunity to go to Canada or Australia to earn a living, or stay on the dole here until the economy recovered, what advice would you give them?

Honestly this is why we get politicians we do.

What a pile of bulls**t.

Hey sunshine did I say anywhere that our own professional leeches should be allowed continue gaming the system with huge families so that they can avail of continous handouts ?
    Did I ?

If you want you can check my post history to see where I stand on the Margaret Cash's of this country.

So stop trying to conveniently shift this away from the point about immigrants.

Immigrants are adding to demand for school places and mouthing off about Margaret Cashs does not change those facts.

There are a lot of immigrants in this country and I have absolutely no problem with legitimate ones that have come here legally and are here to work.
    They are contributing and their kids need to be catered for in education and health system.
    Working parents be they natives or immigrants have kids, not as many per family of course as the professional careerist welfareists, but they have kids nonetheless.
    And much like other areas they will be the ones suffering from lack of resources and at their own expense.

We have politicians, vested interest NGOs and the do gooder mentality that are of a mind to import immigrants that come from backgrounds that offer us nothing, absolutely nothing bar increasing costs.
    And as has been shown in other EU countries a fair chunk of these immigrants are akin to the Irish Margaret Cashes when it comes to popping out children.

There was one of those vested interest NGO CEOs on this morning with Pat Kenny trying to claim the old chestnut that anyone that wants to discuss immigration during this election is a racist.

The amount of messages sent in to the contrary raises point that all Irish are not like the cohort of posters around here that are chomping at the bit for new draconian speech limitation legislation to shut discussion down.

Advertisement