Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sir David warns us, the crisis has come

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Remember the hole in the ozone layer?

Well apparently it's now closed as a result of us doing away with CFC gas in fridges & aerosols.

Problem with carbon is that the emissions are multi origin, from cows farting to 747s in the sky to my old diesel car which all contribute to Co2 emissions. Maybe if we let the ozone hole reopen, then the abundance of carbon gas would escape out through the hole and global warming would be at an end?
    damn i think you just solved it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's all relative, if a couple on the average industrial wage (of the country they live in) can't likely ever afford to buy a house, then something is very wrong.

They could head somewhere else (less wealthy) do the same work, have a house, and some spare change.

Dave has a spare £24,000,000 and a big empty house, which likely puts him into the obscene 0.0001% wealth category.

Has David ever publicly stated where his wealth will be distributed upon his death or are a lot of people on here speculating (ie talking shìte)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

mfceiling wrote: »
    Has David ever publicly stated where his wealth will be distributed upon his death or are a lot of people on here speculating (ie talking shìte)?
    He can distribute it now i.e. before the apocalypse:eek: He seems more concerned with adding to his vast wealth .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Grueller

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Pods are the answer. A person can live in a pod 2.5m long x 1.5m high x 1.5m wide . You could easily fit 50 plus pods into the space occupied by the average semi-d. The Japanese have pod dwellings for decades, no reason why people can't live in them full time.

You my friend are welcome to live in one if you like.

blinding wrote: »
    He can distribute it now i.e. before the apocalypse:eek: He seems more concerned with adding to his vast wealth .

And you know this how? Has he publicly declared what he does with his income?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not speculating, he's worth £24m right now (Spears Magazine) in a big empty house in Richmond. David Attenborough (Productions) Ltd also raked in £2.1m last year.
    Likely even more when the pops the clogs (and thus can't spend it). After which he'll do the usual thing that the ultra-wealthy do:

Pay the bare minimum on inheritance tax, and stuff the rest away in clever investment trusts, offshore wealth, commercial property equity and so on, in order to pass the vast majority of obsene wealth on to his kids. All while the earth burns around them, and lectures are handed out from the rich who jet in on private jets, so they can wag their fingers even closer to the plebs.

Any climate 'emergency' indicates some 'urgency' should be observed, rather than sitting on tens of millions of unnecessary cash money.

And you know this how? Has he publicly declared what he does with his income?
    We’d soon know if “ Sir “ David was putting it to altruistic use .

He has never been backward about putting himself forward .

He has amassed fortunes while virtue signalling on this that and the other .

Why do we take these " on the make “ super wealthy seriously ?

Again....you both know this how? Or is it speculative shìte talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

blinding wrote: »
    We’d soon know if “ Sir “ David was putting it to altruistic use .

He has never been backward about putting himself forward .

He has amassed fortunes while virtue signalling on this that and the other .

Why do we take these " on the make “ super wealthy seriously ?
    Do you hate all rich people or just rich people who say things you don’t agree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was in america last week ....... you should see the size of there vehicles over there .... the two I saw one was doing 13.8MPG and the other 22MPG , both just ordinary cars ....

I'm sure china is same .....

We would seriously want to stop beating ourselves up over here and wave the cop the feck on stick at these huge countries that basically couldn't give a feck.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Do you hate all rich people or just rich people who say things you don’t agree with?
    Hypocrites ; Rich or poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭briany

Maybe we can position the environment as a refugee issue to get the can kicking NIMBY's on side.

To be honest, I think the reaction to the refugee issue will only move from 'send them back' to 'kill them', should the numbers increase. There won't be any moment of clarity where we think environmental reforms might be a solution. As a general society, we'll go from, "Ah, I don't know about this climate change business" straight to, "Ah, well, too late now.", and move straight to situation management, part of which will be looking on unsympathetically as the world near the equator becomes uninhabitable, and rounding up or gunning down the hordes of people migrating north and south in search of survival. You've only to look at the laughable hysteria about The Caravan being propagated in the American news media as a potential teaser of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Remember the hole in the ozone layer?

Well apparently it's now closed as a result of us doing away with CFC gas in fridges & aerosols.

Problem with carbon is that the emissions are multi origin, from cows farting to 747s in the sky to my old diesel car which all contribute to Co2 emissions. Maybe if we let the ozone hole reopen, then the abundance of carbon gas would escape out through the hole and global warming would be at an end as the Co2 abated in our atmosphere?

3b75813af2350e14a3403e46e8539c3cb2f8d44e36b0a0ff450203ef80b42b2c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

It's just David attenborough, what's this Sir sh*t?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

galwayllm wrote: »
    It's just David attenborough, what's this Sir sh*t?

During his lifetime of achievement, Attenborough has received myriad honors. He was knighted in 1985, received the Order of Merit from Queen Elizabeth II in 2002 and holds at least 31 honorary degrees from British universities, including Oxford and Cambridge .......

If there's one person who deserves the title Sir, its David Attenborough. So many people with titles that don't deserve them, but he surely does.

During his lifetime of achievement, Attenborough has received myriad honors. He was knighted in 1985, received the Order of Merit from Queen Elizabeth II in 2002 and holds at least 31 honorary degrees from British universities, including Oxford and Cambridge .......

If there's one person who deserves the title Sir, its David Attenborough. So many people with titles that don't deserve them, but he surely does.
    And honours from a British queen mean what exactly to an Irish Person ?

Sweet fook all.

... a British Queen!

Yes, the Queen is British, and so is he, oops sorry about that .....

Nobody's forcing you to recognise his knighthood or his other honours.

He's had quite an amazing life has Mr Attenborough (aged 93).
    He's been on the box all my life, educating people about wildlife in the far flung corners of the planet, great man, great global conservationist for over sixty years ...

... a British Queen!

Yes, the Queen is British, and so is he, oops sorry about that .....

Nobody's forcing you to recognise his knighthood or his other honours.

He's had quite an amazing life has Mr Attenborough (aged 93).
    He's been on the box all my life, educating people about wildlife in the far flung corners of the planet, great man, great global conservationist for over sixty years ...
    Of course I don’t recognise honours from a British Queen. Why would I . British royalty have often given honours to people who have behaved atrociously in Ireland . Its often a mark of people of the lowest quality. Didn’t Jimmy Saville have his British Queen honours.

Funny you should mention Saville, I was thinking the same thing (vile man), hence why I said that of all the recipients, Sir David is well deserved in getting a knighthood.

However, I don't buy into all your anti British guff. Her Maj is a great Queen by all accounts....

Funny you should mention Saville, I was thinking the same thing (vile man), hence why I said that of all the recipients, Sir David is well deserved in getting a knighthood.

However, I don't buy into all your anti British guff. Her Maj is a great Queen by all accounts....
    The British Monarchy has honoured ( knowingly ) many people who did atrocious stuff in Ireland . Why would Irish people respect any honours from such an institution.

• Advertisement

David is British and he respects the Queen, she knighted him in 1985, end of ....

How about some climate change chat?

I remember about twenty or thirty years ago when there was chat about us heading for a mini ice age, whatever happened to that theory?

Advertisement