Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender person wins compo for job interview

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

One dresses as the opposite sex, the other one believes they are the opposite sex

• Registered Users Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So whats the difference between a transvestite and transsexual?

There are a few differences. Wikipedia provides a fairly sufficient description for both that demonstrates the differences -

Transvestite

Transvestism is the practice of dressing and acting in a style or manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex. In some cultures, transvestism is practiced for religious, traditional, or ceremonial reasons. The term is rarely applied to women.

Transsexual

Transsexual people experience a gender identity that is inconsistent with, or not culturally associated with, their assigned sex and desire to permanently transition to the gender with which they identify, usually seeking medical assistance (including hormone replacement therapy and other sex reassignment therapies) to help them align their body with their identified sex or gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Augme wrote: »
    If they are recruiting lads for building sites, this is probably true. But most highly desired office based jobs, the above is complete bollocks.

Highly desired office based jobs usually dont get those kind of candidates. The pronoun gender studies brigade cv’s only show up in the 20-40k income bracket with a slight caveat of software development in multinational tech companies also, but multinational tech love that kind of quirkiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

And yet it was you who pointed out to someone else earlier that people are still entitled to question things.

Double standard how are ya?

You’re welcome to highlight the part of my post that you quoted where I said that you couldn’t question things. Question away. Nobody is obliged to answer. Telling somebody that you’re a dog with a bone is a separate thing. Don’t bother with an essay-length reply. I won’t bother reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Threads gone dead ODB, let it go ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ironicname wrote: »
    Erm.... What? Of course we shouldn't. That's my point.

The point is that personal experience doesn't count for a lot when it comes to assessing the prevalence of cancer, or the prevalence of discrimination.

The point is that personal experience doesn't count for a lot when it comes to assessing the prevalence of cancer, or the prevalence of discrimination.

Exactly...

Thank you for reaffirming my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Exactly...

Thank you for reaffirming my point.

It's exactly the opposite of your point.

It's exactly the opposite of your point.

It's really not

Do people really think we mean a 2 hour detective session searching for every possible reference to the candidate?

For gods sake, all you do is throw the name into Google, maybe the address or something else from the cv as well to narrow the search, then see what comes up on the front page. If you spot the person straight away, grand, have a look at the LinkedIn or Facebook page and form an impression. If nothing jumps out straight away then fine, spend no more time on it.

That's literally it. Its ridiculous that some people cant wrap their heads around how uncomplicated it all is, why on earth does it even need to be explained?

I don't think they realise that anyone who is working at above a base salary position will have an internet presence, and should monitor that presence. Social media changed the perception of employers to the internet, because while accounts can be deactivated, or photos removed, most entries are archived somewhere.

I have a website solely for my two primary resumes (Management & Teaching). My facebook account is extremely limited because I don't want anything negative showing up in searches. Same with a variety of other sites which I'm a member of because using google or a few other search engines, can bring back all manner of information. Whereas I know people who put everything on their facebook or other sm account regardless of how it might appear to an employer.

The other posters are thinking in simplistic terms. When you receive a resume, often there will be contact information. Most people reuse their email or phone details for other accounts. Searching for an email address or cellphone number, can connect you with social media accounts or other internet activities. A persons name isn't terrible useful but an email address is far more informative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

It's really not

Not often you see someone totally disprove their own point!

Advertisement