Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint/compensation from AIB

• 16-01-2020 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just off the phone with AIB who have advised that i am overlimit on my CC. However, I was advised by an AIB employee only a few months back that my CC limit was increased from 3.8k to 5k. However, having spoke to AIB this morning they advised this was only a temporary limit and it was brought back down to 3.8k at the 6th Jan

I have been advised that i will need to bring it down to 3.8k before i can use the CC again.

Now this was not told to me originally, when it was brought up to 5K (no mention of it being temporary)

Is there anything I can do? they have lodged a complaint but i am still pretty angry about this. Is there a chance I could ask for compensation for this?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Why would you get compensation? I'm inferring that you agreed to the original increase to 5k? Was it over the phone, in person or paper. You say you weren't advised that it was temporary, but it's hard to know. Can you give more detail on the first conversation, when it was raised first?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CorkyLFC

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

This was over the phone and the employee mentioned nothing about it being temporary. Basically told me that the 5k limit was good to go and that was it until i got a letter through the door saying that i am now over the limit of 3.8k

100% I wasnt advised it was temp. The lady on the phone today even confirmed this and apologised. Im still not happy with the solution they provided. Just wanted to see if there was anything i could do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CorkyLFC wrote: »
    Is there a chance I could ask for compensation for this?

Can you outline the basis under which you feel you deserve compensation?

Perhaps emotional distress, loss of income, the time you spent writing those two posts?

What sort of money were you thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

ah good old "I want compo" thread.

Compo because they have decided that you cannot have their money to buy things.

and then people wonder why insurance companies don't want to do business in Ireland

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What paperwork have you to show your limit was increased?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Compo vultures would knock you sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Why was your limit increased? Did you seek an increase, or did they take the initiative by contacting you and offering you an increase that you had not sought?

Are they charging you any kind of interest or penalty for being over your credit limit since 6 January?

You could look for compensation for (a) any interest or penalty that you have been charged, plus (b) the inconvenience of suddenly finding yourself without access to the facility of a credit card. (On the other hand you could just look for them to waive interest and fees and to agree a temporary extension of your 5k limit to give you an opportunity to bring your balance down before the lower limit is reimposed rather than after.)

But getting any kind of compensation does depend on showing that the bank is at fault. We don't know why your limit was raised, we don't know why it was reduced again, we don't know what was said you by the bank in writing, on your bank statements, in e-mails, etc about this. We know that you were suprised to find your limit had been reduced, but we don't have enough information to say whether it was the banks fault that you were surprised, or yours, or that both of you may have been at fault.

Put yourself in the bank's position for a moment. What do you think they would say if we asked them whether they should have expected you to be aware that your limit would be reduced on 6 January? Be honest; if you want useful advice there is no point in witholding or minimising information that is disadvantageous to your position.

Advertisement