Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the death penalty

Options
  • 16-01-2020 4:00pm

With the recent spate of horrific murders, I think it's high time we brought back the death penalty. For premeditated murders like those in the news where the conviction is beyond reasonable doubt I see no reason not to.

There is no deterrent now. Jail is like high quality social housing with private dental and healthcare thrown in.

People who commit crimes like the dismembement of that 17 year old should get the death penalty.

What say ye?

Comments

THE DEATH PENALTY DOES NOT ACT AS A DETERRENCE.

Most murders are;

A) Carried out in a moment of rage.

or

B) Committed by someone that believes they won't be caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Start with proper sentencing, which we don't have. Only if that doesn't work would there be any case for the death penalty. In the US it just creates an endless merry go round of appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What say ye?
    I say 'Not this again.'

Most murders are;

A) Carried out in a moment of rage.

or

B) Committed by someone that believes they won't be caught.

Neither of these are the case in the type of murders I'm referring to. Also would save the state a ton of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Doesn't deter murders in us states with it.
    Isn't deterring murders in Philippines where they have gone all in on it.

• Advertisement

Neither of these are the case in the type of murders I'm referring to. Also would save the state a ton of money.

Another misconception.

Death sentences actually cost more than imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Also would save the state a ton of money.

Highly unlikely.

Also the gangland types clearly see the death penalty as a deterrent as they use it liberally themselves on anyone who crosses them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It baffles me that some people think that letting the state execute people in their custody is a good thing. By all means, feel free to post a scientific study showing that the death penalty offers good value for money and serves as an effective deterrent but the existence of such a study seems to be highly unlikely.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It baffles me that some people think that letting the state execute people in their custody is a good thing. By all means, feel free to post a scientific study showing that the death penalty offers good value for money and serves as an effective deterrent but the existence of such a study seems to be highly unlikely.

Said study would also have to prove that it would be impossible for an innocent person to be put to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

#edgelord

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Oh ffs. Death is not a punishment, it is an inevitability. As such, it is not in any way, shape or form, achieving justice. What we need as mentioned above is proper sentencing. Getting rid of this suspended sentencing nonsense as a start! Getting rid of concurrent sentencing as well, it should be consecutive! Finally then of course, is handing out justifiable lengths of incarceration. Rape: 20 years minimum (as well as involuntary castration). Murder: depends -> did the killer set out to kill his/her target; was it in self defence; etc. Pure murder should be life. Etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Complete non-starter unless we leave the EU.
    That's not going to happen so forget about it.

https://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/sectors/human-rights-and-governance/democracy-and-human-rights/fight-against-death-penalty_en

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Maybe, but it certainly stops reoffending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Said study would also have to prove that it would be impossible for an innocent person to be put to death.

An excellent point. I'm not sure entrusting the government who commemerated the RIC and DMP before an election with a choice where a mistake would result in the death of an innocent person is a good idea.
    elperello wrote: »
    Complete non-starter unless we leave the EU.
    That's not going to happen so forget about it.

https://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/sectors/human-rights-and-governance/democracy-and-human-rights/fight-against-death-penalty_en

If you're going to do one edgy act of stupidity then you might as well do another while you're at it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@OP, bringing back the Death Penalty means we would need to leave the EU as the recognition and implementation of the ECHR is fundamental to EU citizens rights and diametrically opposed to the Death Penalty.

Do you think Irexit will be of benefit?

The country with the highest per capita rate of imprisonment in the world, also implements the Death Penalty.
    Do you think it works as a deterrent?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It ain't going to happen as EU members it's what Ireland has signed up to, no EU member state has capital punishment anymore, so we'll put this hang em high/fry the bastards fantasy to bed shall we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

osarusan wrote: »
    I say 'Not this again.'

You beat me to it. That phrase sets my teeth on edge.

Very difficult to get any unbiased study on this as locking people up is big business in the US.

I can't see how keeping someone locked up for 20+ years can be cheaper than a piece of rope and a gallows.

In 2018, the average cost of an “available, staffed prison space” was €73,802.

So for 20 years this would amount to €1,476,040.

https://www.iprt.ie/prison-facts-2/

Some 349 prisoners were serving life for homicide; almost all of them convicted murderers.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/jail-population-on-rise-with-350-prisoners-serving-life-sentences-1.3935112

So lets say it costs €500k to carry out the death penalty on someone. Seems a crazy huge amount but let's be generous.

That's a saving of €976,040 per prisoner over 20 years or € 340,637,960

or € 17,031,898 per year.

Very difficult to get any unbiased study on this as locking people up is big business in the US.

I can't see how keeping someone locked up for 20+ years can be cheaper than a piece of rope and a gallows.

In 2018, the average cost of an “available, staffed prison space” was €73,802.

So for 20 years this would amount to €1,476,040.

https://www.iprt.ie/prison-facts-2/

Some 349 prisoners were serving life for homicide; almost all of them convicted murderers.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/jail-population-on-rise-with-350-prisoners-serving-life-sentences-1.3935112

So lets say it costs €500k to carry out the death penalty on someone. Seems a crazy huge amount but let's be generous.

That's a saving of €976,040 per prisoner over 20 years or € 340,637,960

or € 17,031,898 per year.

I never said that imprisoning people was cheap. For obvious reasons, it is not.

However, according to this article it is cheaper to imprison someone for life in the US than to execute them.

Here's another:

Death penalty costs California more than $300m per execution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would it ? 15 to 20 years on death row ... Ain't cheap
    All the extra appeals ,clemency pleas ,blah blah blah ..
    Is there a notable difference in the states between states with the death sentence and ones that don't ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It ain't going to happen as EU members it's what Ireland has signed up to, no EU member state has capital punishment anymore, so we'll put this hang em high/fry the bastards fantasy to bed shall we?

That's not relevant to the rights and wrongs of the death penalty.

Also that could change in the future - by that I mean the attitude to the death penalty within the EU, Ireland's membership of the EU, and even the very existence of the EU.

I never said that imprisoning people was cheap. For obvious reasons, it is not.

However, according to this article it is cheaper to imprison someone for life in the US than to execute them.

The US system is a joke it takes so long.

We would need some streamlined system where they don't stay on death row indefinitely. Once you get the sentence that's the only one to be carried out unless some compelling evidence comes to light. A maximum limit of say 3 years to find it.

Someone will get executed and then new evidence will prove their innocence.
    If this happens even once, then the system is a failure in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

We would need some streamlined system where they don't stay on death row indefinitely. Once you get the sentence that's the only one to be carried out unless some compelling evidence comes to light. A maximum limit of say 3 years to find it.

So innocent people who are put to death are just acceptable collateral damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's not relevant to the rights and wrongs of the death penalty.

Also that could change in the future - by that I mean the attitude to the death penalty within the EU, Ireland's membership of the EU, and even the very existence of the EU.

And that's just your imagination hoping such things may come to pass.

Ok, let's join the charming company of lovely countries that still have it so.

You have yet to provide evidence that the death penalty is cost effective and serves as a deterrent.

I'm not seeing any countries here that Ireland should be aspiring to imitate:

_103835896_executions_around_world_640-nc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

And what about the right to appeal? That's why these cases drag on for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

As if the people this is aimed at aren't already under a real threat of death. It doesn't seem to have been a deterrent so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Utterly absurd proposal. Only a money spinner for legal types, media and campaigners. Think of the Birmingham 6 and you see the utter foolishness of it.

Advertisement