Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the death penalty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

With the recent spate of horrific murders, I think it's high time we brought back the death penalty. For premeditated murders like those in the news where the conviction is beyond reasonable doubt I see no reason not to.

There is no deterrent now. Jail is like high quality social housing with private dental and healthcare thrown in.

People who commit crimes like the dismembement of that 17 year old should get the death penalty.

What say ye?
    Very sensible. But we shouldn't allow years of appeals and no one should be executed for killing a pensioner.

Said study would also have to prove that it would be impossible for an innocent person to be put to death.
    Bad stuff happens. How is death by hanging different from death from ovarian cancer? It would just be bad luck.

It ain't going to happen as EU members it's what Ireland has signed up to, no EU member state has capital punishment anymore, so we'll put this hang em high/fry the bastards fantasy to bed shall we?
    We'd just have to pay a fine or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As long as you'd be happy with the likes of the Birmingham Six and and Guildford Four being executed, go for it.

As long as you'd be happy with the likes of the Birmingham Six and and Guildford Four being executed, go for it.
    Obviously I wouldn't be in favour of people being framed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Bad stuff happens. How is death by hanging different from death from ovarian cancer? It would just be bad luck.

Jesus christ, what a moronic attempted comparison.

osarusan wrote: »
    Jesus christ, what a moronic attempted comparison.
    Well you're letting the best be the enemy of the good.

If you can't be sure that you won't hang any one who is innocent then you can't hang anyone who is guilty.

I may be oversimplifying your point of view but I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Obviously I wouldn't be in favour of people being framed.

Ah right. Well then, best not to take the chance so, death penalties off the menu.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

We have the death penalty in the state (USA) where I live, although our governor has defied the will of the people and has currently issued a moratorium on the death penalty. But it has been very hard in the state to actually receive the death penalty, and harder yet to execute. Only 3 men have been executed since 1995 and there are less than 150 currently on death row. Recently, the death penalty has fallen out of favor with our state’s prosecutors as scores of them have been thrown out at appeals.

Good or bad? Good, IMO as a sentence of life in prison is disproportionate to the most heinous of capital crimes committed.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I can never understand why we dont just place ankle tags on anyone who is released from prison, at lease for two or three years after release. Surely that would go a long way to preventing them from committing more crime. Like you're not going to go rob a bank or post office if you know the Gardai have your exact location 24/7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It baffles me that some people think that letting the state execute people in their custody is a good thing. By all means, feel free to post a scientific study showing that the death penalty offers good value for money and serves as an effective deterrent but the existence of such a study seems to be highly unlikely.

It doesnt act as a deterrent but it 100% stops reoffending.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,170 ✭✭✭✭flazio

With the recent spate of horrific murders, I think it's high time we brought back the death penalty. For premeditated murders like those in the news where the conviction is beyond reasonable doubt I see no reason not to.

There is no deterrent now. Jail is like high quality social housing with private dental and healthcare thrown in.

People who commit crimes like the dismembement of that 17 year old should get the death penalty.

What say ye?
    I say, would you be willing to be the executioner? Because if not, you have no right to ask the state to kill on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I always get the feeling that people who advocate for the death penalty are short-arsed incels who spend far too much time watching far-right political ‘commentators’ from the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Im not sure if the death penalty is the answer here. However, there is an issue arising around career criminals with ridiculous amounts of convictions who basically make their living off terror and violence and have no plans on changing tack. There is assumption made with the current system that people want to be normal members of society and that is where it is flawed.
    Unflinchingly harsher conditions is something that should be seriously considered for people in this scenario. If people repeatedly refuse to partake in society, they should be kept out of it. Any monies or things of value they have should be taken to pay for keeping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't see how the death penalty would act as a deterrent for our gangland criminals when death seems to be an occupational hazard they have all the time.
    All the criminals killed recently knew their lives were at risk it did not make them change their ways. Why would the threat of a death penalty by the state be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Whoever gave the orders for the 17 year old to be abducted tortured murdered and dismembered cannot be rehabilitated. He or she is without any skills to live amongst other humans. It’s a simple as that.
    The actual killers are equally beyond redemption.
    They simply must be removed from society but not by killing them.
    No parole no day release just taken away and treated humanely just none of the things that people reward themselves with for living decent lives, like mobile phones, the internet or TV.
    I know that they are the way they are as a result of background etc but lots of people have a horrific upbringing but don’t end up ordering the decapitated head of their enemy to be thrown on a lawn in a housing estate.
    So just take them away but don’t kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The longer these threads about the death penalty go on the better for the experts on how to deal with criminals.
    Almost anyone sounds reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What say ye?

That would just create more revenge attacks imo.

Our guy got the death penalty for murdering your guy ..so now we are going to murder another one of your guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

That would just create more revenge attacks imo.

Our guy got the death penalty for murdering your guy ..so now we are going to murder another one of your guys.

An eye for an eye, will inevitably turn the whole world blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

A large chunk of drugs are trafficked from countries with the death penalty for such offences. The deterent argument doesn't seem to stack up in that department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

jaxxx wrote: »
    An eye for an eye, will inevitably turn the whole world blind.

Yep. But there are those who will say lets take toes instead!

People always think they are smarter than everyone else. Whether that be book smart or street smart.

They always think they are 3 steps ahead of everyone etc. They know it all.

They think they have every consequence wrapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw a programme about Black Dolphin prison in Russia, let the scumbags spend the rest of their life in a place like that and it would be a better solution than any death penalty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Another misconception.

Death sentences actually cost more than imprisonment.

They wouldn’t if they stoped taking the guns off the scum bags !

A large chunk of drugs are trafficked from countries with the death penalty for such offences. The deterent argument doesn't seem to stack up in that department.

Them people have nothing to live on and no dole office either !

Yep. But there are those who will say lets take toes instead!

People always think they are smarter than everyone else. Whether that be book smart or street smart.

They always think they are 3 steps ahead of everyone etc. They know it all.

They think they have every consequence wrapped up.

Yes cut the big toe they’ve no balance left and it’s a sentence they won’t forget

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

Agree.

Eye for an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Them people have nothing to live on and no dole office either !
    There's a few westerners been executed over the years. The Aussie bali 9 comes to mind. 2 of them were executed a few years ago. They have dole over there didnt stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

THE DEATH PENALTY DOES NOT ACT AS A DETERRENCE.

Most murders are;

A) Carried out in a moment of rage.

or

B) Committed by someone that believes they won't be caught.

Well with the death penalty they won’t be doing it again, that’s deterrent enough.

Proper policing and sentencing might be a good start before considering the 'nuclear' option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What say ye?
    Arm the gardai to the teeth and kill the bastards before they commit these crimes

Advertisement