Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Point for Garage

Options
  • 16-01-2020 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a AP for my garage. I have ran a LAN cable out there from the router and just what a AP for when I'm working out on my Cycling Turbo trainer.(using Zwift) I have a old Net-gear with a repeater function but getting crap speeds. Getting full speed on the Laptop directly into the LAN cable, so I just need a AP that runs at better speeds.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Ubiquiti APs are hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Str4ngeBr3w

I guess this really depends on how much you want to spend? And what your hardware you've already got installed?

Myself I'd grab a cheap Linksys WRT54G from eBay and flash DD-WRT (or Tomatoe) and create a repeater bridge.

Failing that I'd re-purpose an old RJ45 router and set it up on a different subnet.

Either of these options should give you reasonable speed and if not it may depend on other reasons.

The RJ45 lead that you ran over with, I presume this is coming straight out of your primary router? Or have you got it coming from a 10/100 switch? Need more info really on your hardware setup and what speed your internet is and what speeds your getting over are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

what the climate like in your garage? It is damp and cold?

Unifi APs would always be my choice.

Advertisement