Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election 2020 Donegal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Well from the amount of Varadkar posters in Letterkenny, you'd swear he was running here and not Joe McHugh. Sick of his smug face already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,333 ✭✭✭✭muffler

whens the closing date for candidates ?
    Next Wednesday, the 22nd.

Declared runners so far are the following.........

Peter Casey (Independent)
    Pearse Doherty (Sinn Fein)
    Pat the Cope Gallagher (Fianna Fail)
    Martin Harley (Fine Gael)
    Charlie McConalogue (Fianna Fail)
    Joe McHugh (Fine Gael)
    Padraig MacLochlainn (Sinn Fein)
    Niall O’Connell (Independent)
    John O’Donnell (Independent)
    Thomas Pringle (Independent)
    Mary T. Sweeney (Aontu)
    Michael White (Green Party)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its still a 5 seater yeah?
    Can see dohertt topping the poll, and mclochlainn getting the 5th seat on transfers, ousting pringle. Pringle hasnt been that visible in this dail, so he may suffer, although id laugh if it was mchugh or cope in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yeh think casey might hoover up a few independant votes

could allow one of the parties in

Its interesting to look back at the percentage share of first preference votes in the 2016 general Elections. Will there be much change this time around?

Fianna Fail (2 candidates) – 31%
    Sinn Fein (3 candidates) – 27.5%
    Fine Gael (2 candidates) – 15.4%
    Independents (7 candidates) – 25.4%
    Green party (1 candidate) - 0.6%
    Fis Nua (1 candidate) – 0.1%

Its also interesting to note that the top 5 polling candidates after count 1 of the 2016 election all ended up being elected albeit after 13 counts in Pringle’s case – lot of details here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hopefully John O'Donnell loses his deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Candidates don’t put down a deposit any more. They do need to get a quarter of the quota to get their expenses reimbursed. If everyone who voted for him in the council elections turns out for him again that should take him a good way towards that target.

had to google John O’Donnell aha mister selling windfarm planning . has the man no shame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

had to google John O’Donnell aha mister selling windfarm planning . has the man no shame?

I think that much is obvious. The fact that so many people voted for him after it all came out is embarrassing for Donegal.

And people slag off Kerry and Tipp for voting in the Healy-Raes and Lowry.

At least the Healy-Raes haven't been caught on camera soliciting bribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Pique wrote: »
    I think that much is obvious. The fact that so many people voted for him after it all came out is embarrassing for Donegal.

And people slag off Kerry and Tipp for voting in the Healy-Raes and Lowry.

At least the Healy-Raes haven't been caught on camera soliciting bribes.

The fact that everyone in Donegal cries about being the 'forgotten county' only to vote the same old faces and parties in time after time is also embarrassing

I've been abroad for the past couple of elections so will need to do a bit of homework but looks like fairly slim pickings though in terms of options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

He’ll do damage to Joe McHugh, that’s for certain but he won’t get elected. He’ll pick up next to no votes outside the Milford/Kilmacrennan area and so shouldn’t get anywhere near a quota even with transfers.

Joe McHugh will struggle to retain his seat also. Pringle is gone, he’s done absolutely nothing the last 4 years and so has nothing to show for his time.

McConnalogue and McLaughlin in inishowen will be hard to call. I wouldn’t bet on either TBH but if pushed would say McLaughlin might edge it.

Pearse is a dead cert and he'll get my vote too despite me never having voted SF in my 30 years of voting but none of the rest are any good, they done absolutely nothing for the working man/woman and so deserve to be shunned.

The stable door has been closed and there's only one addition to what I posted earlier.....Arthur Desmond McGuinness. Who's he?

Peter Casey (Independent)
    Pearse Doherty (Sinn Fein)
    Pat the Cope Gallagher (Fianna Fail)
    Martin Harley (Fine Gael)
    Charlie McConalogue (Fianna Fail)
    Arthur Desmond McGuinness (Independent)
    Joe McHugh (Fine Gael)
    Padraig MacLochlainn (Sinn Fein)
    Niall O’Connell (Independent)
    John O’Donnell (Independent)
    Thomas Pringle (Independent)
    Mary T. Sweeney (Aontu)
    Michael White (Green Party)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who's the guy with the dog in the poster with him?

When I seen it for the 1st time I thought it was a prank poster, like something his mates made up for his birthday or something as a wind up.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who's the guy with the dog in the poster with him?
    Haven't even seen his poster yet. :)

Niall McConnell

He sounds delightful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Casey also running in Dublin West, shows his actual care and attention to Donegal!

retalivity wrote: »
    Niall McConnell

He sounds delightful

Heard him on the radio earlier. Complains about economic migrants, then explains how he had to leave Ireland to emigrate for a job, then finished by saying "Ireland is for the Irish" and presumably clicking his heels before goose-stepping away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Technique

Anti-immigrant but pictured in front of the flag of India???

Pique wrote: »
    Heard him on the radio earlier. Complains about economic migrants, then explains how he had to leave Ireland to emigrate for a job, then finished by saying "Ireland is for the Irish" and presumably clicking his heels before goose-stepping away.

The usual response when these types are confronted with that is 'yeah but the Irish emigrate to white countries so it doesn't count!'
    L1011 wrote: »
    Casey also running in Dublin West, shows his actual care and attention to Donegal!

Is that even legal? What (hopefully hypothetically) happens if he gets elected in both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

muffler wrote: »
    The stable door has been closed and there's only one addition to what I posted earlier.....Arthur Desmond McGuinness. Who's he?

He ran for council election too, got 58 votes...

I just don't see the logic of the dog being in the picture.

Am I missing something?

It makes him come across as some sort of halfwit. Then again, maybe he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is that even legal? What (hopefully hypothetically) happens if he gets elected in both?

Yes. You vacate one and a by-election is held

Happened in the council elections in a few places - twice in Meath I think - where people ran in two areas and got elected in both. In that case they co-opt someone to one seat. (There's an even weirder one - you can actually get elected to two different non-overlapping councils and take both seats, one councillor did Waterford City and County for years)

IP freely wrote: »
    He ran for council election too, got 58 votes...
    A glutton for punishment so.

I just don't see the logic of the dog being in the picture.

Am I missing something?

It makes him come across as some sort of halfwit. Then again, maybe he is.

I think its to appeal to us simple rural folk

It's not working.

I'm going to guess this guy will get less than 100 votes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

TG4 released an Ipsos MRBI poll for Donegal today.

SF on a combined 39%.

https://twitter.com/TG4TV/status/1220429112591966210

Surprised cope is only on 10% - not because hes done bugger all as leas cc, but thought he'd have more of a 'personal' vote
    Pringle would need some monster transfers to be in contention based on that

It's not working.

I'm going to guess this guy will get less than 100 votes.

The comments on his youtube videos are something else.

I'm kinda worried that my YT algorithm is gonna be screwed up for the next few weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Technique

SF on a combined 39%.

https://twitter.com/TG4TV/status/1220429112591966210

That poll can't be right, where's Niall McConnell??

Technique wrote: »
    That poll can't be right, where's Niall McConnell??

They only sampled 550 people. You'd need a lot more to have a chance of randomly finding his mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

SF on a combined 39%.
    No sign of Harley? I'd be thinking that the 17% is split between him and McHugh

Ming, after spending last week canvassing for Saoirse mchugh in mayo, is out with Pringle in south Donegal this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Surprised cope is only on 10% - not because hes done bugger all as leas cc, but thought he'd have more of a 'personal' vote
    Pringle would need some monster transfers to be in contention based on that

He has posters to vote the other FF number 1 and him 2, might hurt for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Green party candidate promising to abolish homework , priorities ,I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Green party candidate promising to abolish homework , priorities ,I suppose

I think Joe McHugh was championing that also.
    Don't they know children cant vote :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I think Joe McHugh was championing that also.
    Don't they know children cant vote :pac:

Children can’t vote but the parents who have to supervise and help with it do and some hate it more than the kids.
    Still with all the other problems it can hardly be considered a priority and it could be dealt with locally in the school instead of needing a national policy. A GE should be about the big picture but no chance of anybody looking beyond their own back yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems someone's making it their mission to tear down Niall McConnell posters around Letterkenny. Or it's just a coincidence that I now see blank cardboard or remnants where I saw his posters earlier.
    Though due to the photo, I was reading it as "Drain the Dog" which sounded very wrong.

Scrap homework? Seriously?

Surely you can't have a government policy of no homework? Does any other country have it?

If a candidate started chatting about that on my doorstep, and as much as I'd like not to have to do it every day for 3 kids, I'd tell them to catch themselves on.

There's about 50 things more important right now than homework.

Had a leaflet in the door from the Green fella yesterday, a few generalised bullet points about investing in health, education etc but nothing with any substance. Didn't exactly grab my attention or make me want to find out more about him

• Advertisement

Also have eamon ryan on today about trains back in donegal by 2040, by diverting money from the A5 upgrade.

Not in a hundred years...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seems someone's making it their mission to tear down Niall McConnell posters around Letterkenny. Or it's just a coincidence that I now see blank cardboard or remnants where I saw his posters earlier.
    Though due to the photo, I was reading it as "Drain the Dog" which sounded very wrong.

Don't think it will do his chances much harm. He's policies are a bit out there for most people.

Also have eamon ryan on today about trains back in donegal by 2040, by diverting money from the A5 upgrade.

Not in a hundred years...

The same Eamon Ryan who said the NBP unfairly disadvantaged his constituents and when called on the fact that his constituents had the Luas, DART, Dublin Bus and many other favourable infrastructure by a Cavan TD, he retorted that the Cavan people "have the N2 & N3".

He's an idealistic fool.

Had a leaflet in the door from the Green fella yesterday, a few generalised bullet points about investing in health, education etc but nothing with any substance. Didn't exactly grab my attention or make me want to find out more about him

To be fair, every parties bullet points on their leaflets will be 95% the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I have to say McConnell has the best poster on display with the little doggie on his lap :)
    I'm sick of seeing Paddy's toothy grin plastered on every streetlamp already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Firblog

I think that the fact that Pringle is the only TD located in the south of the county will garner him a sizeable first preference vote, and make him very transfer friendly from all other candidates.

I had a good look through our choices during the week, we really do have a small and very average pool to choose from. I vowed in 2011 never to vote for the current generation of FF again and still fully stand by that and SF I just don't agree with economically (though would fully agree Pearse is by far the best politician in the county).

That leaves Joe McHugh.. to my eyes at least I've seen sweet FA recovery in Letterkenny over the past decade and a few random independants who would have no real power or influence if elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Mock up newspaper from McConnell through the letterbox this morning which includes a 'free' poster of Michael Collins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

There were plenty of the “Drain the Dog” posters around East Inishowen. At least I know who to give my last preference to after voting all the way down the paper...

pretty poor selection of candidates really

• Advertisement
Advertisement