Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The murder of Keane Mulready Woods.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

briany wrote: »
    Justice has nothing to do with it. That book Freakonomics has a good chapter on what gives incentive to kids getting involved in the drugs game. Prison is not a disincentive to these people. Not even the death penalty gives them much pause for thought.

? So instead of locking them up for a very long time we should let them roam the streets and intimidate hard working tax payers, is that what your saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So, to sum up - Mulready-Woods was a little b*llix who the local, peaceable, law-abiding members of the community probably aren't that sad to see go, but still shocked and horrified at just how he went.

He was hardly El Chapo FFS. People need to calm down a bit.

It's not hard to understand why this case may be a watershed moment or why there is widespread shock about it.

Hopefully the absolute pond scum who carried it out are caught and never let out.

Security forces need to get the finger out now big time and whack this mole once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was somebody who always favoured education to deal with this but seen the wealth involved in cases I wonder would it make much of a difference if the right support isn't at home.
    Most people can't afford to have the life full of luxury good that attracts these kids but the thing that they have is decent or decent enough parents.
    I know of cases where daddy brings his 12 year old robbing houses of an evening. What chance does this kid have really.
    If social services was mentioned the bleeding heart brigade would be out about splitting up the innocent family.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 throwaway2020

tom1ie wrote: »
    ? So instead of locking them up for a very long time we should let them roam the streets and intimidate hard working tax payers, is that what your saying?

Address the problems at childhood would be a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Agreed. I can guarantee my sons will never be drug dealers. The government funding of jobless families does not help. When you leave education you should either get a job or have to volunteer 20 hours a week for your dole. Tax payer funding of young adults to lie in bed/play the Xbox all day needs to stop. Idle hands and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

All the bul**** about this animal, he's the same kind of skum that attacked the couple at the luas on sunday. **** him and his family , these kind of vermin are destroying this country . Sterilization and mandatory abortion are needed to cull the infestation.
    Why do people keep referring to scumbags as animals as an insult? Humans are below animals in a lot of cases. Most if not all animals only use violence as a necessity for survival not greed or some warped sense of gratification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Paul Reynolds sums up this scumbag nicely, seems he videoed his rival scum being paralysed in an assault and now the paralysed rival scum arranged his death.

The gardai should let this run for a while, let a few more of them murder each other, then swoop in and tidy up the last of the scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

How? Their parents are up to their neck in this **** in most cases.
    Take them off the parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

tom1ie wrote: »
    How? Their parents are up to their neck in this **** in most cases.
    Take them off the parents?

Absolutely. Instead of pouring money into rewarding the unemployed for having children they can’t support, pour that money into social services. I need a license for my two dogs. People irresponsible enough to have children they can’t pay for are not fit parents. Child benefit should be only paid in way of a tax credit. Children not going to school should result in social welfare being cut. Any convictions gained when you are a parent should have a social worker breathing down your neck for the rest of eternity. Any anti social behaviour from parents or children should see you tossed out of your Taxpayer funded house. We are too soft on people who do nothing but create trouble for everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Absolutely. Instead of pouring money into rewarding the unemployed for having children they can’t support, pour that money into social services. I need a license for my two dogs. People irresponsible enough to have children they can’t pay for are not fit parents. Child benefit should be only paid in way of a tax credit. Children not going to school should result in social welfare being cut. Any convictions gained when you are a parent should have a social worker breathing down your neck for the rest of eternity. Any anti social behaviour from parents or children should see you tossed out of your Taxpayer funded house. We are too soft on people who do nothing but create trouble for everyone else

Established fact at this stage that if you increase poverty you increase the crime rate.

You right on services though, the amount of children rotting on waiting lists waiting for basic physiological and development interventions is a scandal though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Why do people keep referring to scumbags as animals as an insult? Humans are below animals in a lot of cases. Most if not all animals only use violence as a necessity for survival not greed or some warped sense of gratification.

Your right I owe animals an apology I think disease would be a more fitting description of your every day grey track suit runt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭briany

Boggles wrote: »
    Established fact at this stage that if you increase poverty you increase the crime rate.

Your right on services though, the amount of children rotting on waiting lists waiting for basic physiological and development interventions is a scandal.

I'm sure we'll have someone along to advocate for the reinstatement of workhouses/industrial school/magdalene laundries soon, but not mention the endemic human rights abuses that went on in those places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm sure we'll have someone along to advocate for the reinstatement of workhouses/industrial school/magdalene laundries soon, but not mention the endemic human rights abuses that went on in those places.

They don’t have much regard for human rights dismembering a child and setting the remains alight, shooting people in broad daylight, do they? **** off with your bleeding heart hand wringing, it’s what has the country in the state it’s in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Your right I owe animals an apology I think disease would be a more fitting description of your every day grey track suit runt
    That response wasn't directed at you specifically (even though I obviously quoted you) it's just a thought that I've often wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

The whole thing that happened to him and his family is shocking. But call it for what it is..... he is no loss to society.... he was doing nasty **** at this stage of his life and well on the road to doing more if not worse as part of establishing his 'criminal career.'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭briany

They don’t have much regard for human rights dismembering a child and setting the remains alight, shooting people in broad daylight, do they? **** off with your bleeding heart hand wringing, it’s what has the country in the state it’s in.

Whataboutery. The savagery of the killing and subsequent treatment of the body is obviously well-covered. My point is that in suggesting solutions to a problem, it's wise to think about whether they'd inadvertently create another problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

While I agree that the perpetrators of this crime should all be incarcerated, I think it is important that we don't forget to follow due process. I am sure the Gardaí are well aware of all of the details and crimes of lots of the participants of the feud but it is probably the case, that they just don't have the evidence to get a conviction. Our justice system definitely needs reform and people shouldn't be on the street with dozens of previous convictions and suspended sentences.

I don't think the solution is to lock up gang suspects based on the whims of the Gardaí. Proper evidence und due process must always be a precursor to securing convictions. Yes, this sometimes means narcos will roam our streets but I think if sentences are handed down they need to be served. Suspended sentences and overcrowed prisons need to be tackled and the guards probably need better funding. People, who are calling for gang members to be rounded up and imprisoned without proper trials, need to take a step back and remember we don't live in some dystopian hellscape such as China.

We should probably legalize narcotics. They are everywhere in Ireland. Every pub and nightclub is teeming with banned substances. Our prohibitive stance is costing lives and the income the state could make from this could be significant. We could invest the regained money in hospitals, education and more police resources for example. The criminals will diversify into other areas of course. I don't think we will ever prevent organized crime but the profit margins for narcotics are just so high that it will always be worth the risk for somebody. I read recently that the mark-up on cocaine from source to the street is around 10000%. With this level of capital involved, the stakes are so high that the gangs have to be so violent in order to protect their business. They don't have the protection of the courts to ply their trade. Lots of this violence would stop if the gangs had recourse to proper legal protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

While I agree that the perpetrators of this crime should all be incarcerated, I think it is important that we don't forget to follow due process. I am sure the Gardaí are well aware of all of the details and crimes of lots of the participants of the feud but it is probably the case, that they just don't have the evidence to get a conviction. Our justice system definitely needs reform and people shouldn't be on the street with dozens of previous convictions and suspended sentences.

I don't think the solution is to lock up gang suspects based on the hunches of the Gardaí. Proper evidence should be always be required to secure convictions. Yes, this sometimes means thugs will roam our streets but I think if sentences are handed down they need to be served. Suspended sentences and overcrowed prisons need to be tackled and the Gardaí probably need to be funded better. But people calling for gang members need to be just rounded up and locked up without proper trials need to take a step back and remember we don't live in some dystopian Runescape such as China.

Well said. This notion that a gards word is beyond reproach should be shown the door, as the experience of Sgt McCabe showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Exactly so. No thought as to the welfare of the children. As bad as the previous incumbents really.

Whataboutery. The savagery of the killing and subsequent treatment of the body is obviously well-covered. My point is that in suggesting solutions to a problem, it's wise to think about whether they'd inadvertently create another problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

How capable ( or not) are our Gardai of controlling gangs? There are suggestions that the army should be involved in controlling the situation?

Also the idea that there is a return to some form of National Service.

I don't think the solution is to lock up gang suspects based on the hunches of the Gardaí. Proper evidence should be always be required to secure convictions. Yes, this sometimes means thugs will roam our streets but I think if sentences are handed down they need to be served. Suspended sentences and overcrowed prisons need to be tackled and the Gardaí probably need to be funded better. But people calling for gang members need to be just rounded up and locked up without proper trials need to take a step back and remember we don't live in some dystopian Runescape such as China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

We are all the guilty ones. The use of cocaine, marijuana or buying off market cigarettes, whether from a friend or the local ice cream van funds the massive business of organised crime in this country.

I am not suggesting you use it but I can guarantee that you know someone who does. Until something is done about this, be expecting to see more about that.
    Eh speak for yourself mate. By all means volunteer for guilt but I sleep well at night knowing I am in no way guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

easypazz wrote: »
    Lets see what kind of carry on goes on at the funeral.

Expect much pomp and ceremony that an average working family could never afford.

My moneys on black horses and carriage :p

That response wasn't directed at you specifically (even though I obviously quoted you) it's just a thought that I've often wondered.

It's a fair point , well made

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for this person.
    Regardless of age, if he was dealing/involved in the drug trade, then whatever way someone sees fit to deal with him is ok in my book.

Why should we care just because he's 17? I'm guessing he knew what he was doing. He choose to be involved in whatever it was so if he was 'man' enough to be part of something that destroys lives then he has to be 'man' enough to take the crap that comes with that.

Antares35 wrote: »
    My moneys on black horses and carriage :p

Ghoul Miriam o'callaghan outside the church reporting live for rte. Interviewing some locals.......

Ah jaysus he was the best scramble bike rider in the town...

All the local runts on their bikes doing donuts for the poor lad , Joe Duffy is writing a buk 'childer of the recession '

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I firmly believe that posession of certain drugs needs to be decriminalised or legalised fully. Unfortunately I don't think our country is progressive enough to do it but there's literally no logical argument for continuing the status quo in this regard. Despite the continued war on drugs and the gov and gardai pouring more and more time and money into it drugs are now cheaper and more widely available than they have ever been in the history of this country. Even if marijuana alone was legalised it would take away a huge amount of business from these gangs. It accounts for the vast majority of their trade. Stuff like cocaine and heroin however is far more dangerous and I'm not sure if full legalisation is a good idea there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

I've absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for this person.
    Regardless of age, if he was dealing/involved in the drug trade, then whatever way someone sees fit to deal with him is ok in my book.

Why should we care just because he's 17? I'm guessing he knew what he was doing. He choose to be involved in whatever it was so if he was 'man' enough to be part of something that destroys lives then he has to be 'man' enough to take the crap that comes with that.

Fully agreed. I think the 'poor young 17yr child' thing is a ploy moreso by the guards to rise peoples disgust at what happened and get more people to come forward with info.
    I'm sure the guards are as delighted this scut is off the street as he'd have given them plenty of grief without a shadow of a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

macapaca wrote: »
    Fully agreed. I think the 'poor young 17yr child' thing is a ploy moreso by the guards to rise peoples disgust at what happened and get more people to come forward with info.
    I'm sure the guards are as delighted this scut is off the street as he'd have given them plenty of grief without a shadow of a doubt.

I doubt the Gardai are delighted at all. This guy is dead but they know better than anyone that there is plenty more waiting to take his place. Kids with no stake in society who have parents that don't care and see no value in education or legit employment. There will surely be reprisal acts of violence the fallout out of which they will also have to deal with. Looking at this situation as "one scumbag down, x more to go" isn't realistic. Gang violence never solves itself because all the people involved simply kill each other. When has that ever happened? Never.

Perhaps I'm wrong here, and I'm open to correction, but one thing I noticed from the news, general area etc. is there doesn't seem to have been any flowers/photos/etc. laid out? Normally in a situation like this, just outside a Garda Cordon you'd see a gate, lamp post, wall, or whatever, doused in flowers and cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The cold truth is that the world is a better place without this guy in it. If he's capable of doing some of the things listed in this thread at 17/18 I can only imagine what levels he would have risen to later in life. I'm sure he wouldn't have had a problem torturing a person and dismembering their corpse by the sounds of it. But I'm sure there's another wannabe player who will jump at the chance to step into his shoes.

The issue here is that the justice system is a perverse joke that needs to be torn apart and rebuilt with new foundations. A foundation that it is here to protect the public from dangerous criminals and not line the pockets of lawyers and legal aiders. We can have all the education in the world but if there's little consequence to being a member of a gang, intimidating and abusing others, a career criminal who sees a court appearance as an occupational hazard then this is what we end up with.

Advertisement