Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The murder of Keane Mulready Woods.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Perhaps I'm wrong here, and I'm open to correction, but one thing I noticed from the news, general area etc. is there doesn't seem to have been any flowers/photos/etc. laid out? Normally in a situation like this, just outside a Garda Cordon you'd see a gate, lamp post, wall, or whatever, doused in flowers and cards?

Interflora would be running all over Dublin with flowers for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Ghoul Miriam o'callaghan outside the church reporting live for rte. Interviewing some locals.......

Ah jaysus he was the best scramble bike rider in the town...

All the local runts on their bikes doing donuts for the poor lad , Joe Duffy is writing a buk 'childer of the recession '

Or as The Irish Times put it, 'He was a fan of motocross'. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Or as The Irish Times put it, 'He was a fan of motocross'. :rolleyes:

Ha did they say he also like to work with animals ,cats in particular and redecorated the outsides of people's houses for free.

Meanwhile in Cork a lad that looks and sounds like a great person is ripped from this world and his family by some cockroach like this cnut....did that ****ing louse Leo visit cork ........

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Perhaps I'm wrong here, and I'm open to correction, but one thing I noticed from the news, general area etc. is there doesn't seem to have been any flowers/photos/etc. laid out? Normally in a situation like this, just outside a Garda Cordon you'd see a gate, lamp post, wall, or whatever, doused in flowers and cards?

They could lay out his Canada Goose jacket and Hugo Boss tracksuit as a memorial to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Meanwhile in Cork a lad that looks and sounds like a great person is ripped from this world and his family by some cockroach like this cnut....did that ****ing louse Leo visit cork ........

Great point. That chap in Cork was on his way to becoming a contributing member of society and by the sounds of it, got stabbed in the neck while trying to get scumbags out of the house party he was attending. He is a loss but the media instead concentrate on the bullsh*t side of this knackers story, where they try to pass him off as one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Suckit wrote: »
    Why?
    I don't mean, what did he do, I mean why did he do them at 17?

Because he was a little sh1t who wanted easy money and was prepared to do nasty things to people so he could afford his designer gear.

I work with a guy from Drogheda who's family still live there and this "child" has been a thorn in the side of the community for years with the trouble he caused.

As othes have said the loss of the young man in cork is a tragedy for society where as this guy would have been nothing but trouble all his days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Antares35 wrote: »
    My moneys on black horses and carriage :p

American style casket.

Loads of shams with wispy mustaches wearing sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

A 17 year old hardened violent criminal has his life ended by a group of psychopathic feral fearless non humans.

Knifed to death, watched die, then slowly dismembered, body parts put in car to be fearlessly driven 30 miles before being dumped and burned,

The psychopathic murderers seen to continue their lives, seen In McDonald's and their local pubs without a care in world.

Lord of The Flies barbarism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Theres been a steady rise in poverty since 2010. These teenage murderers were very young children, probably already on the breadline before the recession hit, all theyve known is hard times, watched their families struggle, god only knows what way they were brought up. Single mothers with addictions and mental illness, high stress, no jobs. Poverty breeds crime.

I dont ever remember Ireland being so violent, now it feels like these horrific circumstances are happening consistently and regularly and all by children and young people coming from poverty and difficult homes with no help or support. Theyve been failed by society, this is the repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

There's little doubt that KMW was more than likely a charmless hoodrat and future prison fodder however people reveling in his demise are missing the point, I know we do already but do we really want to live in a society where this goes on? Had he been given 'only' a serious beating by these thugs it might, might being the moot word, have given him second thoughts about the trajectory he was on.

The nihilism of this 'culture' though means some of these characters might actually see being shot dead as some sort of 'soldiers' demise. They probably fantasise about getting a big gaudy white coffin with shades wearing pallbearers, loads of young wans in tears who've probably borne eight kids from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I don’t see how people can call him a 17 year old child. Was he to magically turn into an adult at 18? Obviously the law has certain markers that make 18 an adult age but 16 onwards is pretty much young adult.

Actually, scientific studies suggest that the average male brain is not fully developed until age 25, something that would not surprise anyone involved in insuring cars or enforcing the law.

dd973 wrote: »
    There's little doubt that KMW was more than likely a charmless hoodrat and future prison fodder however people reveling in his demise are missing the point, I know we do already but do we really want to live in a society where this goes on?

It’s like something out of Narcos, a serious escalation in violence that provides further evidence of where Ireland is going. Everybody should be concerned about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Actually, scientific studies suggest that the average male brain is not fully developed until age 25, something that would not surprise anyone involved in insuring cars or enforcing the law.

Doesn't mean to say at 17 you are not fully cognisant of your actions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Theres been a steady rise in poverty since 2010. These teenage murderers were very young children, probably already on the breadline before the recession hit, all theyve known is hard times, watched their families struggle, god only knows what way they were brought up. Single mothers with addictions and mental illness, high stress, no jobs. Poverty breeds crime.

I dont ever remember Ireland being so violent, now it feels like these horrific circumstances are happening consistently and regularly and all by children and young people coming from poverty and difficult homes with no help or support. Theyve been failed by society, this is the repercussions.

No. They haven’t. They’ve been failed by their parents.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Doesn't mean to say at 17 you are not fully cognisant of your actions

It means you’re still shaping your understanding of right and wrong, of controlling your impulses, and you’ll be ‘more cognisant’ by 25. At 17, the prefrontal cortex is not fully developed.

Although we all know young adults gradually become less impulsive with age, the vast majority do not engage in violent criminal behaviour. I’m not making excuses for what he did, merely pointing out what the scientists are telling us.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Carioco

dd973 wrote: »
    There's little doubt that KMW was more than likely a charmless hoodrat and future prison fodder however people reveling in his demise are missing the point, I know we do already but do we really want to live in a society where this goes on? Had he been given 'only' a serious beating by these thugs it might, might being the moot word, have given him second thoughts about the trajectory he was on.

The nihilism of this 'culture' though means some of these characters might actually see being shot dead as some sort of 'soldiers' demise. They probably fantasise about getting a big gaudy white coffin with shades wearing pallbearers, loads of young wans in tears who've probably borne eight kids from them.

And you are right.

I joined boards after being linked by a friend to the other thread as the friend knows i once knew the main suspect.

And heres the thing: while im sure the kid was a scumbag and while im sure he know about the suspect generally he obviously didnt know enough about the suspect to attack him with his friends and openly mock him fot weeks after

He and his friends were put up to it by someome who knew better. Everyone knows that the suspect is a pure pyscho. Why do you think kids did it?

Honestly, this kid DID NOT KNOW what he was getting himself into nor the other kids present and thats where he was taking advantage of.

The kid thought he could taunt the suspect like he probably taunted other teens in his career. No one told him the actual caliber and potential of the man he was taunting

In the short term, the message should go out to the gangs that this level of violence is utterly unacceptable and will put them all under increased scrutiny. One thing I’d like to see is American-style plea bargaining in complex conspiracy cases, e.g. drug gangs and some white collar crime. Combined with a properly financed witness protection program, it could encourage criminals to give up their bosses. In terms of prison privileges, we should be much tougher on gang members - they need to know that the state is in charge. Over time, we may have to quietly admit that drug prohibition has failed and concentrate our efforts on harm reduction, both to users and dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

... who have been failed by THEIR parents before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Exactly. I hate all this "blame society" bullsh*t. We dont know they were poor but the bleeding heart brigade will insist on this as an excuse. Oh sure he didn't have a field to kick a ball in, any wonder he turned to crime. Everyone is to blame except the scumbag itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I read in the latest Indo article that he was "trying to find his way" in life.

No idea what that even means or who its a quote from, the author of the article or someone else? Or if its even a quote at all.

He was doing a poor job of it if he was trying to find his way. It couldn't have been a worse start. He had a criminal record, was killing animals, intimidating a woman and firebombing homes.

People might say he could have turned his life around. If I was a betting man I'd say he would have went further the other way. But I suppose we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Scenes from this boys funeral will be broadcast on the Irish news channels. I will return to your post the day after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

NIMAN wrote: »
    I read in the latest Indo article that he was "trying to find his way" in life.

No idea what that even means or who its a quote from, the author of the article or someone else? Or if its even a quote at all.

That was said by the Superintendent in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It means you’re still shaping your understanding of right and wrong, of controlling your impulses, and you’ll be ‘more cognisant’ by 25. At 17, the prefrontal cortex is not fully developed.

Although we all know young adults gradually become less impulsive with age, the vast majority do not engage in violent criminal behaviour. I’m not making excuses for what he did, merely pointing out what the scientists are telling us.

Here’s a non scientific fact for you. 99.9% of 17 year old boys know that firebombing houses and threatening and intimidating old ladies is wrong. Do you know why? Because their parents extended families and the decent society they live in told them it was wrong. Nothing to do with their frontal cortex at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It sounds like an excuse

I've two under 25's in my house. I've never had to teach them that firebombing homes and killing cats is unacceptable but I'm fairly sure they will never do either because there are some things you don't need to be taught are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Theyve been failed by society, this is the repercussions.

Society has not failed anyone. You alone are responsible for your actions - not your parents, teachers, neighbours or friends. Spreading the blame is BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Piece from the Sunday Indo

Keane Mulready-Woods was a child of a lost generation, ensnared in a web of serious crime, writes Maeve Sheehan

Keane Mulready-Woods spoke to his mother for the last time soon after 6pm last Sunday. He rang to say he would be home late and asked her to leave money on the mantelpiece to pay the taxi fare. He was on a curfew which meant he had to be home before dark and up to that point, had been observing it, according to those who know the family.

He never did get that taxi home. One of the last sightings of him was by Dominic's Bridge in Drogheda town centre at around 6pm, probably a short time before he made the phone call to his mother. He was noticeable in his head-to-toe designer gear: a red Canada Goose jacket that cost at least €400, his beloved Gucci baseball cap with serpent wrapped around its peak that sells for €250 new, a Hugo Boss tracksuit and the hallmark for any teenager in the hood: expensive runners. His were black Hugo Boss with brown soles.

His family were worried. His sister, Courtney, posted a message on Facebook the following afternoon. "Has anyone seen my brother he's only 17 and he's missing since yesterday evening and no one heard from him or can get through to him and anyone he's usually with is texting me looking for him."

At 8pm that evening, Keane's mother went to the garda station in Drogheda, anxious and distressed, to report that her son was missing. Her worst fears were soon realised.

Two hours later and 47 kilometres down the M1, a black sports bag was thrown from a speeding car on to a footpath in the Moatview housing estate in Coolock, north Dublin. Curious children discovered the bloodied limbs of a human body stuffed inside.

Two days later, a severed head was found in a stolen Volvo V40, abandoned and set alight in a quiet laneway in Dublin's north inner-city, close to Croke Park.

Last Friday, came the inevitable: that DNA tests had confirmed the remains found in the burnt-out car and in the hold-all sports bag were those of Keane Mulready-Woods, a boy trying to find his way in life who had taken the wrong path. Parts of his remains are still missing.

He was not old enough to buy cigarettes or alcohol, too young to be served in pubs or to vote.

In the way other boys his age immersed themselves in rugby culture or the GAA, according to one local worker in the community, Keane's head was turned by the flashy criminals in designer gear who roared around the council housing estates on the outskirts of the town, in BMWs and Audis.

He was born in Drogheda in 2002, the son the Mulready and Woods families, both liked locally. He would have turned 18 on February 2.

Can't load image 2
    Keane Mulready-Woods (17)
    He was raised in a local authority housing estate in what is officially a disadvantaged economic area of Drogheda. He was living with his mother and his sister at the time of his death.

Images from his childhood flooded on to Facebook in recent days, in photographs posted by his sister and by their friends. One shows a smiling girl and shyer younger brother, another a freckled toddler sleeping beside his sister in an oversized bed. An endearing video taken when he was maybe 10 or 11, performing some sort of rap dance on the garden path to delighted laughter.

At what moment did this boy become part of what the local chief superintendent, Christy Mangan, called the "lost generation" of children, the boys and also girls, who see gangs as their only pathway to money, clothes and a social standing among their peers?

Within a few years of dancing for delighted adults in his front garden, Keane was a young teenager who dropped out of school at St Oliver's Community College. Huge efforts were made to keep him engaged, according to a local Garda source.

One local man in his 20s who knew Keane, even though he was older than him, said at one point he got a job in the kitchen of the school, in an effort to keep him engaged and attending a learning environment. But that did not last.

He didn't seem too interested in sports either, except for motocross and his scrambler bike. He played soccer as a young boy but that fell away too as he got older.

Des McDonald, who is chairman of St Nicholas GAA club in the Holy Family parish where Keane lived, said Keane didn't play Gaelic football, although some of his friends used to. They stopped playing too.

"I feel that we have lost a whole generation," he said. "There would have been lads in the area Keane hung around with… We would have lost those boys over the last three years. We would always try to keep them involved as long as we could."

Since Keane's murder, he has wondered how those boys are coping. With this in mind, officials at St Nicholas have contacted other sports clubs in the parish in recent days, with a view to redoubling their efforts to reach those boys who are vulnerable to the grooming of drug dealers.

"As a club, we probably need to get back out there on to the streets and tie a lot more kids into - regardless of what it is whether its soccer or GAA, if you can get them in off the streets for an hour or two, it's a start, it's a help."

Keane was 14 when he first came to the notice of youth workers and gardai. His first offence was an accusation that he assaulted another boy, according to a Garda source.

Read more: 'Drug dealer came to my door and I gave him €4,500… he said 'sorry about that'
    Read more: Jimmy Guerin: 'Internment is the only cure for the cancer in our communities'
    Within a year gardai suspected that the main drug-dealing gang in the town, the Maguire faction, had young wiry Keane firmly in their grip.

He got into trouble with growing frequency, and his rap sheet multiplied. The offences he was accused of got more serious over time. Public order offences gave way to trespassing on private property. When he was 15 - in 2017 - gardai received a complaint that he had allegedly pointed a gun at the manager of a shop in Drogheda, an incident captured on CCTV.

When the Drogheda feud kicked off the following year, Keane was an impressionable 16-year-old, exploited to the hilt by the criminals who goaded him on.

The wave of violence was triggered by the shooting of Owen Maguire, a criminal leading one faction, unleashing a murderous feud on the streets of Drogheda. At one point the scale of attacks - tit-for-tat petrol bombings, arson attacks and shootings - caused effective lockdown in the provincial town of no more than 41,000 people, the community caught in the crossfire. Both sides called in drug debts, threatening to torch the homes or harm the families to secure payment.

That year - 2018 - he was accused of criminal damage and threatening to cause serious harm to a local family.

Fr Phil Gaffney, the parish priest in the Holy Family parish, said last week that ruthless criminals are grooming young teenagers and exploiting them for their own benefit.

Keane was one such teenager.

"He had his own troubles. He was naive enough to fall in with the wrong people, and I suppose not knowing or anticipating the dire consequences of his lifestyle. But no human being should have their life ended in a way like that," he told the Sunday Independent.

"As his mother said, she did her best for him. She was trying to get him away from some of those people involved in crime. She was doing her best to try to keep him away from them. But I suppose he did fall for the rewards of this. Obviously, young ruthless criminals, they groom young people and exploit them, because they are interested in expanding their own personal wealth or patch."

In a socially disadvantaged area, the culture of gangland can be hard to resist. "They are drawn into it with promises of gifts and money. It is not easy for a young lad to get out of that culture," he said.

According to one informed source, Keane was a frequent client of the Garda's juvenile diversion programme. The programme is designed to prevent young offenders from ending up in court charged with criminal offences. Instead they are asked to admit their wrong-doing and find other ways to make amends.

Keane was offered many chances. His chances ran out last year when he was prosecuted on charges of intimidation.

The victim was a mother who told gardai that Keane had threatened and terrorised her into paying her child's drug debt.

Keane was convicted on December 17. Days before the court hearing, gardai suspected him of being involved in a petrol bomb attack on a car in a local housing estate.

Keane's sentence was deferred until later this year and he was released on licence. His bail conditions included a curfew and staying at his mother's home.

In recent weeks, he had been observed by gardai in Finglas, in north Dublin, staying with an associate there, whether to lie low or visit friends, who knows?

Perhaps he knew he was in trouble.

On January 5, gardai called to his home in Beechwood and served him with a Garda Information Message (GIM), formal notification that his life was in danger.

Those who knew the family believed that Keane was turning his life around. He had been observing the curfew and coming home at night.

When he didn't return last Sunday night, his mother and sister realised quickly that there was "something amiss".

Gardai believe that Keane was abducted shortly after 6pm and brought to a house in Rathmullan Park, where he was murdered. According to sources, there was evidence that Keane put up a desperate fight. Despite an attempt to deep clean the property, blood was found in several locations in the property. After he was murdered, his body was dismembered. Last week, detectives found the machetes and knives they believe were used to kill him in a shed in a laneway behind the property.

Even as his dismembered body was in transit that night with the criminals who killed him, word reached gardai that the severed head of the teenager was to be delivered to a mobster affiliated with the Maguire faction, the gang Keane was perceived to be running with. His killers had planned to dump the remains of Keane Mulready-Woods outside the home of another of their enemies, but disturbed, dumped them in a panic at the Moatview housing estate.

"It was a show of how powerful we are, punishment for changing from one side to the other, and a warning to their own and to the others: you do not mess with me," said a source close to the investigation.

Why was Keane targeted for murder?

One theory is that he was playing both sides and was killed as a warning from one side to the other. He had been observed by gardai in company with a man in his mid-20s, a driver for some of the anti-Maguire faction.

Gardai believe that a Coolock gangster, aligned to the so-called anti-Maguire faction and suspected of a string of murders, was intent on avenging the murder of his associate.

But gardai also suspect there may be another reason why the Coolock gangster may have targeted Keane.

When gardai examined the bag of severed limbs, they found a flip-flop tucked into the holdall.

The flip-flop was significant. The Coolock mobster was recently confronted on the street, with a gym bag over his shoulder. One of his assailants grabbed the mobster's gym bag and a second person filmed the incident.

The video was later mockingly circulated on social media, along with a pair of flip-flops retrieved from his gym bag. The clip prompted ridicule. Gardai are investigating whether Keane was the person who filmed the mobster's takedown, the flip-flops left with the boy's mutilated body as a warning.

That a boy should lose his life for insulting the vanity of a thug may seem incredible. Yet the vicious feud in Limerick, which cost 20 lives, started with a playground row between the daughters of two criminals who then took on their children's fight.

That Keane's murder is now being played out on social media, with gangs sharing videos online, purporting to be of Keane's murder, and even sent to Keane's family, is equally horrific, compounding the grief and horror for his family, according to Fr Gaffney.

The images are fake, according to gardai. One source said they were culled from Mexican gangland culture, where the public display of mutilated victims is designed to spread fear and silence in communities, inspiring the term narco terrorism.

In Drogheda Garda Station last Friday evening, bags of evidence full of household items taken from the house at Rathmullan Park, the suspected site of Keane's murder, piled up.

Chief Superintendent Christy Mangan, who has policed the Drogheda feud for the past two years, had just returned from meetings with Taoiseach Leo Varadkar, and with local community groups. He refused to speak in detail about Keane Mulready-Woods, out of respect for the boy's family and because the case is under active investigation.

"He is a child of a lost generation. It is terribly sad. One of our first victims of 2020 is a child lost to drug dealers. Cocaine is a cultural and social problem. Not all users are going to get in trouble with the guards. The majority of users are able to go down to a housing estate, buy cocaine and then snort it in their social venues, they are professionals, sports people who are never going to come into contact with the guards," he said.

"They are the people that are propping up the drug dealers and the likes of the people who killed Keane. They are the people that have contributed in a huge way to this social problem. And they think it's cool. You are contributing to the machine that's killing people.

"We have had huge health campaigns that have stopped people from smoking and it's worked. It has saved thousands of lives. We have had huge campaigns to stop drink-driving and it's worked. It has saved hundreds of lives. We need a campaign now to stop people from taking cocaine, in dealing in cocaine and contributing to deaths like Keane's.

"I think we have to attach responsibility to the people involved in consuming cocaine. Some will ignore it. But there will be a percentage of people who will say I am that person who bought that drug off Mr X who may have been involved in the death of Keane."

Fr Gaffney has appealed to people in the parish to surmount the fear and nervousness and support the police if they have any information about the crime. He will lead a holy hour of prayer for peace in the parish this afternoon between 3pm and 4pm. "It is for people to come together to say a prayer and light a candle, to pray for all of Keane's family and pray that the scourge of drug abuse and crime will be eliminated in some way from our community," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The tone of the Sindo article paints him as a vulnerable child. Leaving school in early teens despite no work, flying around on scramblers and wearing designer gear despite not being able to keep a job suggests to me he’s either simply a tramp or his parents didn’t give a sh*t... or both. That’s without even mentioning firing petrol bombs at gaffs, callous animal torture and gun possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

It's Cameron Blair & his family I feel sorry for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭briany

In the short term, the message should go out to the gangs that this level of violence is utterly unacceptable and will put them all under increased scrutiny. One thing I’d like to see is American-style plea bargaining in complex conspiracy cases, e.g. drug gangs and some white collar crime. Combined with a properly financed witness protection program, it could encourage criminals to give up their bosses. In terms of prison privileges, we should be much tougher on gang members - they need to know that the state is in charge. Over time, we may have to quietly admit that drug prohibition has failed and concentrate our efforts on harm reduction, both to users and dealers.

If you look at the zero-tolerance approach that the USA adopted, it's sure succeeded in making prison populations balloon, but has it succeeded in making ordinary people feel safer? Has it made wannabe criminals think twice about the lifestyle?

It's grand to lock up a violent criminal, but you do have to admit that your problems run deeper than mere prisons can solve when that person is instantly replaced by someone younger and more violent.

Let's look at a country with a low rate of reported violent crime rate like Japan. What is going on in a place like that culturally, socially, politically and economically that this is the case. What of their approach could we adopt? What could we not, and why not? Is the answer to crime taking one-size-fits-all measures, or is it something more holistic? It's perfectly understandable that scared, angry people are demanding change now, but do we need to prepare ourselves for the idea that lasting change can only come about through patient reforms that involve a collective effort rather than just demonising one or another part of the population?

Advertisement