Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The murder of Keane Mulready Woods.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Area has a massive input. It is much better to be poor and dysfunctional in a middleclass/ rich area than it is to be middleclass in a poor area. This is why ex council houses in affluent areas sell for more than a four bed semi in poorer areas. Resources in Ireland are scarce, just look at waiting lists for children’s services in DunLaoighaire Versus Finglas

Again the underlying belief is that there must be a complete state panoply of support services so that some people have children and it is the duty of the state to co raise them or raise them completely. There always has to be a service available. Many many people don’t need them. Why is that? Because a personal dysfunction feeds into a lot of these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

kippy wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that our current regime of "light touch" sentencing in "holiday home" jails is working - or indeed the judiciarys habit of letting people off with multiple "convictions"?

Not saying that harsher sentences in harsher prisons are the only solution but they need to be part of it.

Standard practice for liberals to provide zero examples of their approach working yet still demanding they know best and we must continue to trust said approach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Are you suggesting that our current regime of "light touch" sentencing in "holiday home" jails is working - or indeed the judiciarys habit of letting people off with multiple "convictions"?

Not saying that harsher sentences in harsher prisons are the only solution but they need to be part of it.

I think a “carrot and stick” method in terms of harsher sentences for dealing and violent crime, combined with investment in communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

No, I’m saying making punishment harsher has proven to be ineffective, neither have I stated that the current regime is working, I agree there is a need for an alternative approach, but I certainly dismiss the idea that harsher punishment is the answer, it has been historically proven ineffective with regards to prevention, or rehabilitation - apparently that makes me a left wing liberalist!!

What I do like to see is different approaches, such as that in Scandinavian countries with regards to criminals, and Portugal with regards to drug addiction. These are new approaches and its maybe too soon to report on long term impact, but the initial assessments look positive.

Unfortunately it seems in this country we are so far away from change, but it has to be said to those who think “make drugs illegal, that’ll stop them” No it won’t, or “lock them up for longer, that’ll teach them” No it doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Someone arrested over the murder.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    I think a “carrot and stick” method in terms of harsher sentences for dealing and violent crime, combined with investment in communities.

We've had nothing but carrot for decades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Exactly, harsher punishments can increase the price and profits which leads to even more extreme violence.
    This has been shown to be the case worldwide, I can't think of a reason why Ireland would be different but I would be interested in hearing the argument for this point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

begbysback wrote: »
    No, I’m saying making punishment harsher has proven to be ineffective, neither have I stated that the current regime is working, I agree there is a need for an alternative approach, but I certainly dismiss the idea that harsher punishment is the answer, it has been historically proven ineffective with regards to prevention, or rehabilitation - apparently that makes me a left wing liberalist!!

What I do like to see is different approaches, such as that in Scandinavian countries with regards to criminals, and Portugal with regards to drug addiction. These are new approaches and its maybe too soon to report on long term impact, but the initial assessments look positive.

Unfortunately it seems in this country we are so far away from change, but it has to be said to those who think “make drugs illegal, that’ll stop them” No it won’t, or “lock them up for longer, that’ll teach them” No it doesn’t.

People always choose the USA in thesearguments. Look at a country like Singapore where the stick is literally used. The state caning strikes fear into anyone so even petty crime or anti social behavior is non existent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

splinter65 wrote: »
    That’s because there is a link between the two. Children growing up in a two parent household have a much better chance of a good life then those in a lone parent situation. Nobody is blaming the lone parent for anything. It’s just a proven fact.

Disagree.
    I grew up in a council estate in Dublin in the 80s with a single parent. However, I did very well in life mainly due to my mothers sheer determination and hard work ethic (which I inherited thankfully).

Here’s the thing though, many of my neighbours of similar age from back then ended up on different paths leading to crime and drug addiction etc. Nearly all of them had 2 parents living with them. In most cases either 2 useless parents (alcoholics etc) or one dominant sometimes abuse parent, usually a father. One good parent should normally be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We've never tried making punishment harsher - the opposite is what we've done and the situation is getting worse.
    Why not talk about Singapore?

• Advertisement

We've never tried making punishment harsher - the opposite is what we've done and the situation is getting worse.

I am aware of drug laws in Singapore but my info is out of date
    This is the first result I got when I googled drug use Singapore.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/drug-crime-singapore-cost-new-study-12288884

Looks like Singapore needs to drastically change their drug law policy.

tuxy wrote: »
    I am aware of drug laws in Singapore but my info is out of date
    This is the first result I got when I google drug use Singapore.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/drug-crime-singapore-cost-new-study-12288884

I was speaking more about the punishments for crime in general.
    https://www.osac.gov/Country/Singapore/Content/Detail/Report/18a3edfe-4790-4488-a6d3-15f4aeb05634

I was speaking more about the punishments for crime in general.

What good is harsh punishment if it makes the problem worse?

https://www.osac.gov/Country/Singapore/Content/Detail/Report/18a3edfe-4790-4488-a6d3-15f4aeb05634
    What problem is worse? If you want to start comparing the problems of drug related crimes in Ireland versus there - fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Takes them off the street and stops them re-offending.

I would have thought that was obvious.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

NIMAN wrote: »
    Someone arrested over the murder.

I think the person you may be talking about was arrested over breaching bail conditions.

Because it’s difficult to trust any reports coming from a government which suppresses freedom of speech, and limits movements.

There are plenty of countries with harsher punishments than ours, I’m a patient man, I’ll wait for someone to post a report from a trusted source showing harsher punishment has shown long term decreases in crime.

What problem is worse? If you want to start comparing the problems of drug related crimes in Ireland versus there - fire away!

Most of that is culture not crime/punishment related.
    Singapore is a city state with a very different culture.

Wouldn't it be more useful to learn from some of the European countries that have a lower crime index than Singapore?

Because it’s difficult to trust any reports coming from a government which suppresses freedom of speech, and limits movements.

There are plenty of countries with harsher punishments than ours, I’m a patient man, I’ll wait for someone to post a report from a trusted source showing harsher punishment has shown long term decreases in crime.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Do you honestly believe that a kid born in Dalkey to two successful working parents and a kid born in Darndale to a single mother in a minimum wage job have the same shot in life?

You obviously think the child in Darndale is at a disadvantage. So, what are those disadvantages specifically?

• Advertisement

Most of that is culture not crime/punishment related.
    Singapore is a city state with a very different culture.

Wouldn't it be more useful to learn from some of the European countries that have a lower crime index than Singapore?

Maybe. But again, if you don't think there's an issue with sentencing or lack thereof in this country, you are starting from a position of "head in the sand".

You obviously think the child in Darndale is at a disadvantage. So, what are those disadvantages specifically?

I grew up with none of the opportunities afforded to young people in Dalkey.

No yachting club being the standout example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

It is. But on its own it doesn’t deal with more aspects of the problem: drug addiction, dysfunctional people, dysfunctional families, single parent families, absence of any work ethic, absence of CAB action against middle level, illegality of any gang and laws that define that, ....

If you remove two gangs in Drogheda/North Dublin to internment some others will form to fill the vacuum. They will recruit from the same dysfunctional pool.

Maybe. But again, if you don't think there's an issue with sentencing or lack thereof in this country, you are starting from a position of "head in the sand".

Don't you think it would be stupid to not investigate how countries in Europe(Switzerland, Finland, Estonia, Austria, Denmark) have achieved such low crime rates?
    None of these countries have gone down the harsh punishment route.

Out of interest why did you pick Singapore? It has a higher rate of crime than the countries I listed and an extremely different culture from Ireland.

Yes, it is, actually it’s so obvious that it tends to instill blinkers on those who notice it.

Trouble is it seems, while one person is standing in court receiving a sentence which will have them off the streets sir a long time, someone else is starting out on their path to crime, and will receive their sentence at some point in the future.

Let’s take the blinkers off for a moment, and ask two questions. What can be done to rehabilitate in the first instance, and what can be done for prevention in the second instance?

And no, I don’t have the answers, but by now we can safely say that harsher punishment has had zero impact on either scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I think the person you may be talking about was arrested over breaching bail conditions.
    The people who chopped him were out on bail or out on early release from prison . F*cking joke of a country.
    Judges in Ivory Towers and politicians out of touch with the tax payer.

And no, I don’t have the answers, but by now we can safely say that harsher punishment has had zero impact on either scenarios.

Zero impact but I think a minority of people would get great satisfaction about reading about the sentences in the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Calibre of parenting in a lot of cases for one. Very hard to break a cycle.

Ok,
    So stricter sentencing than what we currently have doesn't work. (Lets assume that for a while)

Where do you start?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Do you honestly believe that a kid born in Dalkey to two successful working parents and a kid born in Darndale to a single mother in a minimum wage job have the same shot in life?

The latest studies have shown that the amount of parents or the sexuality of the parents us irrelevant. The single biggest determining factor is wealth. If a child has a wealthy single mother in Dalkey and another child has two unemployed parents in Darndale, which child is more likely to have a better outcome?

Advertisement