Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The murder of Keane Mulready Woods.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

begbysback wrote: »
    Yes, it is, actually it’s so obvious that it tends to instill blinkers on those who notice it.

Trouble is it seems, while one person is standing in court receiving a sentence which will have them off the streets sir a long time, someone else is starting out on their path to crime, and will receive their sentence at some point in the future.

The less of these mongrels on the streets the better. These people are the scummiest of the scum and you cannot reform that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A combination of community policing, education, diversion programmes and a sharp focus on the lower echelons to steer them away might be a way forward. One might also suggest raiding pubs and venues for buyers but that's fraught with civil liberty issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dante7 wrote: »
    The latest studies have shown that the amount of parents or the sexuality of the parents us irrelevant. The single biggest determining factor is wealth. If a child has a wealthy single mother in Dalkey and another child has two unemployed parents in Darndale, which child is more likely to have a better outcome?

Those kinds of studies are overwhelmingly carried out by social studies professors who have a leftist ideological bias

They are predisposed to a particular conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Dante7 wrote: »
    The latest studies have shown that the amount of parents or the sexuality of the parents us irrelevant. The single biggest determining factor is wealth. If a child has a wealthy single mother in Dalkey and another child has two unemployed parents in Darndale, which child is more likely to have a better outcome?
    And numerous studies so that single parenthood is one of the lead causes of poverty. The detention rates in the US increase drastically when a Male child has an absent father.

So it is a chicken and egg scenario.

To blame either wealth or parentage entirely for the opportunities (or lack there of) available to a child is to over simplify the entire situation. Everyone know someone from a horrible background that made something of themselves and vice versa.
    But these are the exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

kippy wrote: »
    Ok,
    So stricter sentencing than what we currently have doesn't work. (Lets assume that for a while)

Where do you start?

I would think that our Judicial System needs a complete overhaul.

It is so inconsistent from Judge to Judge, You would think that breaking the law is actually tolerated by the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

kippy wrote: »
    Ok,
    So stricter sentencing than what we currently have doesn't work. (Lets assume that for a while)

Where do you start?

Asking the question, why are people introduced to crime, then throwing the resources into a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

splinter65 wrote: »
    You obviously think the child in Darndale is at a disadvantage. So, what are those disadvantages specifically?

Immediately obvious is the opportunity in education, employment
    Education- more engaged parents, lots of fund raising, much less disturbances in classes Opportunity in gaining work experience- Neighbour, friend etc
    More likely to attend well heeled schools that would have the mds of large MN as their alumni
    Not exposed to drug dealing, burnt out cars from very young
    Don’t think the only way to make money is by peddling drugs and on and on ...
    any person succeeding against these obstacles deserve recognition far more than a child who has had every opportunity given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Don't live in Dublin anymore but the insularity of the communities that spawn these crims in mind-boggling, I doubt many of them have been to Kildare in their lives never mind further afield in Ireland or over the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I grew up with none of the opportunities afforded to young people in Dalkey.

No yachting club being the standout example

No yachting club applies to 99.99% of the citizens of Ireland. What’s it got to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Immediately obvious is the opportunity in education, employment
    Education- more engaged parents, lots of fund raising, much less disturbances in classes Opportunity in gaining work experience- Neighbour, friend etc
    More likely to attend well heeled schools that would have the mds of large MN as their alumni
    Not exposed to drug dealing, burnt out cars from very young
    Don’t think the only way to make money is by peddling drugs and on and on ...
    any person succeeding against these obstacles deserve recognition far more than a child who has had every opportunity given to them.

Rubbish. All any parent has to do in this country is get up in the morning and take their child to school. Everything is provided for and we have every single safety net known to man to aid any parent in bringing up a child to meet their full potential. The obstacles are put in front of the children by their own parents and that’s neither the fault of the state or the responsibility of any other family apart from the childs own. I’m sick of listening to people using others good fortune as an excuse for their neglect of their own kids.

• Advertisement

Rubbish. All any parent has to do in this country is get up in the morning and take their child to school. Everything is provided for and we have every single safety net known to man to aid any parent in bringing up a child to meet their full potential. The obstacles are put in front of the children by their own parents and that’s neither the fault of the state or the responsibility of any other family apart from the childs own. I’m sick of listening to people using others good fortune as an excuse for their neglect of their own kids.

That is absolute bull****. You cannot honestly believe a child in the local primary in Darndale and one in Harold’s in Glasthule are getting the same level of education. Neglect of their children, this is about opportunities afforded to some kids. What if your kid is struggling with maths, you both work you pay your mortgage. Doing everything you can for your kids but don’t have the €100 a week for grinds. That’s not neglectful, that is social economic circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That ain't true.

More than 200,000 children on health waiting lists
    Almost 215,000 children are on waiting lists for health care services, with more than one in four waiting for longer than a year.

There are 90,000 children waiting for community health care services, many of which are used by children with disabilities for whom early intervention is crucial.

This includes 19,000 children waiting for speech and language therapy.

There are more than 7,000 children and teenagers waiting to see a psychologist, jumping by almost a fifth in the past year.

I think you may be thinking of Norway.

Have a look at this as a sample, look at the richest area in the country versus the poorest. https://www.newstalk.com/news/almost-250-children-waiting-two-years-see-speech-language-therapist-913009

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not True , a child from a disadvantaged home will not have access to many facilities ie speech and language therapy etc . A child from a home who can pay for such facilities will have a huge advantage . And it is happening all around the country that parents who can are paying for assessments and aids for their children if they can .Of course they have an advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If only it were that easy. I've seen personally the difference money makes. My children both have special needs that require intervention. Just getting a diagnosis that opens up educational support takes years on the waiting lists. I was lucky enough to have the money to go private which gave my youngest a two year head start on a poorer child who has to wait. There is no way you can say that poorer child isn't at a disadvantage and the longer they have to wait the impact grows exponentially.

No yachting club applies to 99.99% of the citizens of Ireland. What’s it got to do with anything.

Tell that to KiKi

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The majority of children do not have special needs so that is more a tangent to this subject.

The extremes of Dalkey verse Darnedale are almost irrelevant to the question as again the vast majority are neither very rich or very poor they are somewhere in between.

Most parents want the best for their children but there is a difference between wanting the best and doing their best.

eviltwin wrote: »
    If only it were that easy. I've seen personally the difference money makes. My children both have special needs that require intervention. Just getting a diagnosis that opens up educational support takes years on the waiting lists. I was lucky enough to have the money to go private which gave my youngest a two year head start on a poorer child who has to wait. There is no way you can say that poorer child isn't at a disadvantage and the longer they have to wait the impact grows exponentially.

Most kids aren't special needs, where they come from doesn't change this

That a kid from Darndale cannot compete with one from dalkey is just bigotry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am not blaming parents as such because the reasons they are ineffectual are complex its could be poverty but there are a million other reasons as well.

The parents who really do not care are a small minority as opposed to the ineffectual parent or parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

eviltwin wrote: »

I understood that diagnoses were no longer needed to access school supports. Are you talking primary or secondary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    I understood that diagnoses were no longer needed to access school supports. Are you talking primary or secondary?

Primary. My child is 10 now so perhaps it's changed but at the time he wasn't entitled to any additional support until we had an official diagnosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Most kids aren't special needs, where they come from doesn't change this

That a kid from Darndale cannot compete with one from dalkey is just bigotry

It seems you need a little help with the blinkers there Max

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-uld3UvAbuo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

This is going off topic guys, can we focus on the thread title to try

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Garda reconstruction of the taxi shooting last Monday on Bridge of Peace now .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

According to thejournal he was supposed to be in court today for not paying M50 tolls,

could afford all those designer clothes and clearly a car though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

If you have any kind of special needs, money is a huge advantage.

And if you don't, there are still many ways in which it helps. For example, a poor child struggling to learn a foreign language (a requirement for university) is left to struggle. A middle-class child gets grinds, and an hour a week of one-to-one teaching can help boost their grades considerably. Same with honours maths, a requirement for a lot of STEM courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

dd973 wrote: »
    Don't live in Dublin anymore but the insularity of the communities that spawn these crims in mind-boggling, I doubt many of them have been to Kildare in their lives never mind further afield in Ireland or over the water.

I was working with a young lad from town , we were driving by Liffey valley and he taught it was the Kildare outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

According to thejournal he was supposed to be in court today for not paying M50 tolls,

could afford all those designer clothes and clearly a car though....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/m50-tolls-payment-case-against-keane-mulready-woods-withdrawn-1.4145761?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

From finding other photos it appears the car was a 2011 golf, like how does CAB not pick up on an unemployed barely 17 year old (tolls from june last) owning a car worth close to 7-8k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nermal wrote: »
    Their institutions haven't been compromised by woke nonsense in the same way ours have, but that's not the whole story.

Prioritising the harmony of the group above the 'rights' of the individual has been the foundation of their society for centuries - it pervades everything, and it's the font of thoughtful behaviour, manners, responsibility and order.

I wish you luck getting scobies to internalise that concept, you have a long road ahead...

Yeah, that's more what I'm getting at. The underlying culture of a people has a huge part to play in the potential for crime and violence, in my opinion. The institutions of a society and the government seem to cop the blame, but how we are as a people doesn't get spoken about. Holistic solutions to crime like examining where we're going as a society aren't as attractive, maybe because they're generational in a time where all we want is a quick fix, and if you suggest that patience is needed to arrive at lasting solutions, you get accused of stalling.

Advertisement