Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The murder of Keane Mulready Woods.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

joe40 wrote: »
    Addicts will do whatever it takes to get their hit and I have sympathy for them.
    However casual users of cocaine buying drugs in the full knowledge that criminal gangs are benefitting is immoral in the extreme.
    You can argue they should be legal, maybe so, but the fact is they're not so recreational drug users are literally bankrolling criminal gangs, and are therefore complicit in the violence.

Any difference to people wearing clothes they know come from slave and often child labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes by people who watch too much American TV and social media, it's not retentive to Irish politics and those people don't know enough about it to debate it.

The term 'snowflake' is widely used on this forum.

Boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Effects wrote: »
    Are most of those tests usually after pulling someone over after observing their driving? Maybe cocaine leads you to drive more erratically than the likes of cannabis, so more likely to get pulled, and then tested.

No most these tests have been checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Strumms wrote: »
    Decriminalizing cocaine use means more people using it, more people addicted, the costs that the state will incur will be massive...due to the services needed.

That’s the unknowable question: by how much would cocaine use increase if the drug was decriminalized or even legalized?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'll never understand the wish by some to legalise cannabis or any other illegal drugs for that matter.
    How anyone can be stupid enough to take this crap is truly beyond me.

How pathetic a life must you have to feel the need to take something to supposedly make you feel better/happy/whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Ardillaun wrote: »
    That’s the unknowable question: by how much would cocaine use increase if the drug was decriminalized or even legalized?

Cocaine is addictive, for sure, but having known plenty of addicts, only knew one who had coke as their main drug of choice, and he was only able to do that as he was well off with family money and sold it on the side (til he got busted).

Most people can't afford to use coke frequesntly and long term. Most bad addicts I have known, its heroin and/ Rx drugs, or alcohol and Rx Drugs.

And besides the cost, it will mess up your nose, most the stuff you buy. I'd say the majority of people who use it will back off after suffering the negative effects of even short binges which are just a depressing crash and bloody **** coming out your nose. You soon cop on that it isnt quite so glamorous in the end.

It will never be legal or decriminalised here, we are too backward to even do it for weed. And believe it or not all those employed by the legal system need drugs to remain criminal.

Cracks me up how they only use that photo of him on the blower looking like he's sorting the lads out wit an eight ball

I'll never understand the wish by some to legalise cannabis or any other illegal drugs for that matter.

How pathetic a life must you have to feel the need to take something to supposedly make you feel better/happy/whatever.

Same for caffeine and alcohol though, right?
    Many substances taken in small, infrequent amounts have little negative effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Do you think the current approach is working just fine so? Drugs are more widely available and cheaper now than they have ever been. The quality has also improved drastically.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do you think the current approach is working just fine so? Drugs are more widely available and cheaper now than they have ever been. The quality has also improved drastically.

It's hard to think of situations and laws that would benefit the criminal gangs more than what is currently in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

STB. wrote: »
    The main point is that it is decriminalised. This means that the police's time and the courts is not spent emptying the pockets of people with a small amounts of cannabis on their person and needlessly clogging up the system. These resources can be spent elsewhere.

Marijuana - please do not use this word. It was American propaganda 100 years ago that has us where we are in relation to cannabis.

And by the way, ALL drugs are decriminalised in Portugal.

Yes, all drugs are decriminalised in Portugal. Having lived there I can tell you the police still tackle drug addicts it's just they get sent to be dealt with via the Health Service, selling remains illegal and I don't see how that would affect the distributors and having the likes of Gang wars.

There is f*ck all extra tax income if you don't allow selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ardillaun wrote: »

Probably close to impossible to put a figure on it.. decriminalized and legalizing it it basically saying “this drug is safe for human consumption”... quite simply, it isnt, there are both and as proven by the medical profession, negative physical and psychological damage caused by cocaine use, stressing use and not abuse... it has been shown as prevalent in people for as early as a couple of lines in...

Probably close to impossible to put a figure on it.. decriminalized and legalizing it it basically saying “this drug is safe for human consumption”... quite simply, it isnt, there are both and as proven by the medical profession, negative physical and psychological damage caused by cocaine use, stressing use and not abuse... it has been shown as prevalent in people for as early as a couple of lines in...

I did a quick search and this came up as the top result.
    Are the WHO a reliable source?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/jun/13/bad-science-cocaine-study
    In the case of cocaine there is an even more striking precedent for evidence being ignored: the World Health Organisation (WHO) conducted what is probably the largest ever study of global use. In March 1995 they released a briefing kit which summarised their conclusions, with some tantalising bullet points.

"Health problems from the use of legal substances, particularly alcohol and tobacco, are greater than health problems from cocaine use," they said. "Cocaine-related problems are widely perceived to be more common and more severe for intensive, high-dosage users and very rare and much less severe for occasional, low-dosage users."

But perhaps the ones you read are newer and more accurate.
    Do you have links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I don't think anyone is suggesting it should be should in news agents beside the Mars bars.
    If legalised it be heavily regulated and come with all the warnings etc. Similar to tobacco but more regulated dispensaries.

This 1) removes gangs primary income , 2) eliminates risk of adulterated and harmful cuts etc, 3) tax benefit, 4) frees up garda resources hugely, 5) also possible to somewhat track supply levels and identify and support/resolve addiction issues in vulnerable users
    Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Like alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

No most these tests have been checkpoints.

Are they random tests, same as for alcohol?

It's been 12 years since I was last breathalyzed myself, but have been through a good few check points.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Of course there is as the items you quote do not impact dangeroulsy on driving and behaviour.
    Any difference to people wearing clothes they know come from slave and often child labour?

Yes of course. They are all as bad.

Like alcohol?

Are they random tests, same as for alcohol?

It's been 12 years since I was last breathalyzed myself, but have been through a good few check points.

I was actually chatting to a friend of mine(Bluetooth) while he was stopped on the N11 near Cornelscourt a few days ago so I got to listen in.
    Completely random, they were breathalysing everyone(not many cars at 1am) but drug testing one car every ten minutes as that's how long a drug test takes.
    It takes about 30 seconds of swabbing to get enough saliva for the test and then 5 - 10 minutes to see if it reacts.

Even though they can't drug test as many as breathalyse it would seem to show up more positives from these checkpoints and cocaine would appear to be the more common positive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Graces7 wrote: »
    Of course there is as the items you quote do not impact dangeroulsy on driving and behaviour.

I was responding to someome saying criminals are profiting off cocaine sales at weekend.

So is buying clothes from Pennys/Nike Etc. Hell even paying your taxes for our TDs to make false expenses claims is profiting criminals

Still applies..
    I was responding to someome saying criminals are profiting off cocaine sales at weekend.

So is buying clothes from Pennys/Nike Etc. Hell even paying your taxes for our TDs to make false expenses claims is profiting criminals

• Advertisement

Had not realised this was a copycat murder/ disposal of body. Trial in progress of earlier murder . Not a gang one either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

So you don't smoke, drink coffee and never drink alcohol then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Had not realised this was a copycat murder/ disposal of body. Trial in progress of earlier murder . Not a gang one either

it wasn't a copy cat

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Graces7 wrote:

Nonsense.

Very odd post.

So you don't smoke, drink coffee and never drink alcohol then?

Add to the list: Antibiotics, medicine, chocolate, the list of things people take to feel good/better/normal goes on and on.

Sorry; cannot copy paste here. There is a murder trial being reported in rte news online
    I was hoping someone would pick up on it.

OK. Seek "Family having picnic in Dublin mountains find body part, court told"

The murder was in 2017; the similarity with this case ?

Read it and see what you think? Maybe is where the killers of this boy got the idea. Copied it.

Very odd post.

May well be.
    it wasn't a copy cat

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

May well be.
    It wasn't.

• Advertisement

There is no comparison. Period.
    Add to the list: Antibiotics, medicine, chocolate, the list of things people take to feel good/better/normal goes on and on.

Advertisement