Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The murder of Keane Mulready Woods.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Graces7 wrote: »
    May well be.

it's not though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Monkey see, monkey do.. but no one will ever know. So there we are. I think it was . Bye

It wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

There is no comparison. Period.
    There is a very large comparison to be made between medicine and illegal drugs, specifically herion, fentanyl.
    Monkey see, monkey do.. but no one will ever know. So there we are. I think it was . Bye
    We do know. It wasn't a copy cat. Do you think the countless hundreds of murders with decapitation are all copycat's? Was it actually a Black Dahlia copycat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Graces7 wrote:

Wow. The Internet found a new low. ^^^

I can see the headlines now "Gangland Psycho Hitman chops up body of child who taunted him. Authorities believe this was a copycat murder"

Only thing is, the first murder was likely not planned and the body was chopped up in a crude attempt to destroy evidence. The "copycat" murder involved planning, collusion by members of an organised crime gang and the body was chopped up so it could be delivered piecemeal to torment the victims allies and send a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I'll never understand the wish by some to legalise cannabis or any other illegal drugs for that matter.
    How anyone can be stupid enough to take this crap is truly beyond me.

By nearly any measure, cannabis is less dangerous than alcohol. Its sale should not be in the hands of criminals.

• Advertisement

Nearly all drugs have potentially dangerous side effects. The safest option is a drug free life, obviously not practical for anybody with a serious illness but something the healthy can aspire to. It’s heartening to see many young people turning away from alcohol and that may point the way for other recreational drugs: legalize them, tax them, test for them and discourage their use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

It wasn’t a copycat murder only some pablo Escobar type thinking he can do what he likes !
    I doubt there was any trained butchers there either so u can only guess the hacking they did on him !
    They had said he put up a struggle for his life however they figured that out !

Only thing is, the first murder was likely not planned and the body was chopped up in a crude attempt to destroy evidence. The "copycat" murder involved planning, collusion by members of an organised crime gang and the body was chopped up so it could be delivered piecemeal to torment the victims allies and send a message.

The first was a family row that got more than a bit out of hand with nary a bit of thinking involved from start to finish. Indeed the perpetrator has already volunteered a confession and regrets his actions. The second was a coldly planned execution and public dismemberment. It could be described as a copycat killing, but one source of inspiration was surely from the narcos of Mexico and Colombia. In some ways it hearkens back further to the medieval practice of displaying the heads of executed criminals. Such barbarity should worry everybody because it probably won’t stay contained within the criminal class.

It wasn’t a copycat murder only some pablo Escobar type thinking he can do what he likes !
    I doubt there was any trained butchers there either so u can only guess the hacking they did on him !
    They had said he put up a struggle for his life however they figured that out !

One of the possible suspects was allegedly injured in the attack. They also removed the tips of the victim’s fingers, presumably because fragments of their skin may have lodged under the fingernails during the struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Ardillaun wrote: »
    By nearly any measure, cannabis is less dangerous than alcohol. Its sale should not be in the hands of criminals.

I'm not convinced about. Alcohol most definitely causes massive problems, when misused but alcohol does have a social dimension which is absent for other drugs.
    A relaxing pint and a chat in a pub or a glass of wine with dinner, bottle of beer and a movie on a Friday night.
    There just isn't the equivalent with other drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has the funeral happened yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Has the funeral happened yet?

Don't think they have half of him yet, surely they'll wait until they get more bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

joe40 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced about. Alcohol most definitely causes massive problems, when misused but alcohol does have a social dimension which is absent for other drugs.
    A relaxing pint and a chat in a pub or a glass of wine with dinner, bottle of beer and a movie on a Friday night.

What nonsense. Every stimulant or depressant has a social dimension if its used in a social setting.

Alcohol is a depressant and is addictive. Cannabis comparatively is not.

Alcohol can and does kill people. Cannabis comparatively does not.

A relaxing pint etc. Ah I see you are a consumer in the 1 trillion euro drinks industry. The difference is one is llegal and very profitable for large multinationals whilst the other is an outlawed herb in most countries although comparatively harmless. This is due to US propaganda from 100 years that simply does not wash. A herb that grows naturally and has medicinal not just recreational qualities. The thinking is gradually changing in non nanny states.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

To all the idiots ( snowflakes included ) who keep posting about how to sort this out and live on MARS,and haven’t got a clue what’s going on in the real world , but if our government or incoming government don’t get there act to gather and sort out our feral youth and **** justice system we will see bodies not just chopped up but swinging from the bridges of this country as in Mexico and other drug Countries of the world where drug use is a plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

STB. wrote: »
    What nonsense. Every stimulant or depressant has a social dimension if its used in a social setting.

A relaxing pint etc. Ah I see you are a consumer in the 1 trillion euro drinks industry. The difference is one is llegal and very profitable for large multinationals whilst the other is an outlawed herb in most countries although comparatively harmless. This is due to US propaganda from 100 years that simply does not wash. A herb that grows naturally and has medicinal not just recreational qualities. The thinking is gradually changing in non nanny states.

You have no idea how harmful cannabis would be if it was taken in the same widespread way that alcohol is.
    I'm not particularly pro alcohol nor do I have a major problem with small scale cannabis use but I just don't think freely available cannabis would be a good idea.
    The fact that that it is a herb that grows naturally is meaningless. So is opium. It is still a drug. Plenty of drugs used in pharmacy/medicine are controlled for good reason.
    Look at the opiate crisis in the states, as an example of poor control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You have no idea how harmful cannabis would be if it was taken in the same widespread way that alcohol is.

I do actually. It is already widespread in use recreationally. The quality of the stuff on the market is controlled by gangland criminals, the profits of which go on to fund all sorts. People are using the illegal stuff also for medicnal purposes, which is not ideal. Furthermore controlling drug use from a criminal standpoint rather than a health issue is head in the sand stuff and the reason the courts and guards time is filled with small cannabis possession cases that could be put to better use
    I'm not particularly pro alcohol nor do I have a major problem with small scale cannabis use but I just don't think freely available cannabis would be a good idea.

The fact that that it is a herb that grows naturally is meaningless. So is opium. It is still a drug. Plenty of drugs used in pharmacy/medicine are controlled for good reason.

Look at the opiate crisis in the states, as an example of poor control.

Opium is a toxic addictive drug. Cannabis has no addictive nor toxic attributes.

Plenty of legal drugs sold in pharmacies are toxic and addictive. The opiate crisis in the US is actually being lessened by people wheening themselves off opiates with cannabis.

When medical marijuana dispensaries opened in the US, prescriptions for opioids fell by 3.74 million daily doses per year.

Please........

Given that cannabis is now legal in Canada, we should soon have a fair bit of data on that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Given that cannabis is now legal in Canada, we should soon have a fair bit of data on that matter.

The country is destroyed since the legalisation of cannabis, what where they thinking? They should have decriminalised like other countries so the supply still cames from criminal gangs.
    Total apocalypse, stay clear.

Honestly though, so far so good. Looks like more positives to society as a whole from the legalisation than negatives.
    But it's still very early days, it will take much longer to get enough data to make a true assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's absolutely impossible to watch a movie or chat on pot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes social activities linked to the drug because it has never been illegal.

Look at the coffeeshops in the Netherlands, they have a social element.
    Not all drugs are social but many can be. Alcohol is not really very unique in any way when compared to other drugs. If other drugs were legal then people could enjoy them openly in a social setting.
    This may or may not be a good thing but alcohol used socially has its problems too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Cannabis contributes to a LOT of mental health problems, anxiety etc I know this from first hand experience. It’s all fun and games at the start. Out of the last 10 suicides I am aware of, I would say 8 of them were heavy drug users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Cannabis contributes to a LOT of mental health problems, anxiety etc I know this from first hand experience. It’s all fun and games at the start. Out of the last 10 suicides I am aware of, I would say 8 of them were heavy drug users.

How many of those 8 people were exclusively using cannabis?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Absolutely. The idea that it’s a harmless drug is a myth. There’s an enormous mental health epidemic happening as a result of its availability - especially in depressing rural towns. Young fellas are reporting to mental health service with psychosis at a record rate.

STB. wrote: »

Whilst I agree that cannabis is prob not as harmful as alcohol. Your statement is completely incorrect about it's harmlessness. It unmasks schizophrenia in people. I have seen somebody in a cannabis induced psychosis commit attempted manslaughter. It's therapeutic value is confined to muscular pain in MS and a very rare form of epilepsy in children.

It is NOT HARMLESS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Addicts will do whatever it takes to get their hit and I have sympathy for them.
    However casual users of cocaine buying drugs in the full knowledge that criminal gangs are benefitting is immoral in the extreme.
    You can argue they should be legal, maybe so, but the fact is they're not so recreational drug users are literally bankrolling criminal gangs, and are therefore complicit in the violence.

So legalize it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Whilst I agree that cannabis is prob not as harmful as alcohol. Your statement is completely incorrect about it's harmlessness. It unmasks schizophrenia in people.

It is NOT HARMLESS!

I totally agree with this, it happened to my friends partner, he never came back from it, his life is so different now, it's very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

'DEAD MAN'" Chief suspect in Keane Mulready-Woods murder receives death threat from inside holding cell of court house"
    Now who could have possibly done this in a secure court house , our justice system needs to kick in and place protection
    on these hoodlums so there rights are not in anyway affected by this graffiti in a supposedly safe environment.Maybe CCTV
    could be installed has a matter of urgency, The judge and state will hopefully have lined up the best free legal aid solicitors and barristers
    to uphold their rights" yes my lord" "of course my lord" as they bow and genuflect to his or her honor.
    The people of Drogheda deserve better and they are the real victims in this whole sorry saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Patrick Thistle

terenc wrote: »
    'DEAD MAN'" Chief suspect in Keane Mulready-Woods murder receives death threat from inside holding cell of court house"
    Now who could have possibly done this in a secure court house , our justice system needs to kick in and place protection
    on these hoodlums so there rights are not in anyway affected by this graffiti in a supposedly safe environment.Maybe CCTV
    could be installed has a matter of urgency, The judge and state will hopefully have lined up the best free legal aid solicitors and barristers
    to uphold their rights" yes my lord" "of course my lord" as they bow and genuflect to his or her honor.
    The people of Drogheda deserve better and they are the real victims in this whole sorry saga.

100% ! I fear that there’s a lot of places in Ireland now, where your average hard working family has to put up with this sort of stuff on a regular basis.

Nobody can accuse Ian O’Doherty of being a politically correct snowflake but he can recognize the obvious:
    In many ways, America is still dealing with the fallout of prohibition and what started as a war on booze has simply morphed into an unwinnable war on drugs.

We would do well to look at the mistakes that were made in America.

You simply cannot 'win' a war on drugs.

Unfortunately, there are no easy answers, merely lots of extremely difficult questions.

But if we know one thing, it is that prohibition doesn't work.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/ian-odoherty-a-murder-that-shocked-us-all-but-prohibition-simply-doesnt-work-38889995.html

Our current system is simple but ineffective. Changing it would involve a great deal of legislation and probable constitutional challenges, hard work our politicians are not very good at. If recreational drugs did become legal, there would be risks of use getting out of hand and more responsibility would be required of individuals. One overdue change, in my opinion, would be to make any type of intoxication during the commission of a crime an aggravating rather than extenuating factor. We already see this with alcohol where some yob will blame a violent act on the ten pints, or even more ridiculously the ten Xanax, he consumed beforehand.

• Advertisement

Dublin would be a much safer place on Friday night if the revellers were high on cannabis rather than drunk. Even before we look at the problems for the user, cannabis is way ahead.

No intoxicating substance is safe. The goal of any legislation should be to reduce potential harm.

Advertisement