Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The murder of Keane Mulready Woods.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Whilst I agree that cannabis is prob not as harmful as alcohol. Your statement is completely incorrect about it's harmlessness. It unmasks schizophrenia in people. I have seen somebody in a cannabis induced psychosis commit attempted manslaughter. It's therapeutic value is confined to muscular pain in MS and a very rare form of epilepsy in children.

It is NOT HARMLESS!

There is no probally about it. The high figures for murders, serious mindless assaults and deaths due to alcohol are well documented.

Legalised and toxic opiates often over prescribed are the scurge of the US.

Given cannabis is non toxic and non addictive, comparatively it is harmless.

If doesn't have medicinal values limited to what you have described. Please. There is ample research out there listing the benefits, the majority of which has been carried out over decades by the Israelies. Infact the endocannabinoid system, a neurological receptor system was discovered through cannabis research in Israel.

People need to cop on with their blinkered and refusal to acknowledge this. Other countries are progressive, Ireland way behind the curve, with people badly educated about the subject. In the context of freeing up garda and courts time and make it a medical issue rather than the criminal one it currently is, is a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Dublin would be a much safer place on Friday night if the revellers were high on cannabis rather than drunk. Even before we look at the problems for the user, cannabis is way ahead.

No intoxicating substance is safe. The goal of any legislation should be to reduce potential harm.

It would be safer if they were on anything except alcohol. Anyone sober taking coke, MDMA, heroin etc etc wouldn't cause much trouble at all

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Annd9

Whilst I agree that cannabis is prob not as harmful as alcohol. Your statement is completely incorrect about it's harmlessness. It unmasks schizophrenia in people. I have seen somebody in a cannabis induced psychosis commit attempted manslaughter. It's therapeutic value is confined to muscular pain in MS and a very rare form of epilepsy in children.

It is NOT HARMLESS!

Would you have any statistics as to how many people suffer from cannabis induced psychosis ? I would agree that overuse can cause problems for SOME people but they are in the very small minority.

Cannabis for most people is not some mind altering drug , it simply helps them relax or laugh depending on the strain . Visiting Amsterdam is a perfect way to see how backwards the perception of the plant is , coffeeshops nice and chilled , people chatting or enjoying music . Walk to the bars around the red light district and it's chaos . How many times have you seen a bunch of stoners kicking lumps out of each other outside a chipper ?

The problem with its criminalisation is that you do not know what you are really getting, whether that be the strength ,what's sprayed on it (silica was at one stage being sprayed on buds to increase weight) or which gang has imported it. Taking those profits away from the scum would have a major effect on them and also the Garda who could divert resources where it is really needed .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Annd9 wrote: »
    Would you have any statistics as to how many people suffer from cannabis induced psychosis ? I would agree that overuse can cause problems for SOME people but they are in the very small minority.

Cannabis for most people is not some mind altering drug , it simply helps them relax or laugh depending on the strain .

It ruins your lungs.
    But so does smoking. It should be seen as smoking tobacco is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It ruins your lungs.

I like the gummy bears......

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I like the gummy bears......

Doesn't matter you are still ingesting carcinogens.

By the way it doesn't contain the same formula or carcinogens as tobacco in the same amounts. But both cannabis smoke and edibles contain known carcinogens.

But so does burnt toast.

Personally I would avoid it. But i am very healthy conscious. I do think it should be a personal choice though.

Doesn't matter you are still ingesting carcinogens.

Is THC a carcinogen?
    I know the sugar may not be good for me.
    I'll get the ones low in sugar next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Annd9 wrote: »

Cannabis for most people is not some mind altering drug , it simply helps them relax or laugh depending on the strain . Visiting Amsterdam is a perfect way to see how backwards the perception of the plant is , coffeeshops nice and chilled , people chatting or enjoying music .

I smoked a quarter of a pre-rolled joint from a coffee shop there and went on a crazily intense 5 hour trip and I would be a (former) very experienced smoker, so I can only imagine what could happen to some casual tourist or teenager. In terms of strength (I know it's not exactly comparing like with like) I would rank it far above e, coke, most LSD etc.

sabat wrote: »
    I smoked a quarter of a pre-rolled joint from a coffee shop there and went on a crazily intense 5 hour trip and I would be a (former) very experienced smoker, so I can only imagine what could happen to some casual tourist or teenager. In terms of strength (I know it's not exactly comparing like with like) I would rank it far above e, coke, most LSD etc.

Yes THC is really mind bending in high concentration.
    The important thing is to get an understanding of dosage and the strength of what you are about to consume.
    Something that is impossible when it is not legal.
    I know you had it in a coffee shop but you probably had little experience on what to look for and what you would enjoy.

Is THC a carcinogen?
    I know the sugar may not be good for me.
    I'll get the ones low in sugar next time.
    There are over 100 compounds in marijuana. THC and CBD are just the well known ones.

THC or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is just one of 113 compounds found in cannabis.

Cannabis is a complex plant.

Some of these compounds are known carcinogens. That's not to say it will cause cancer. We come into contact with carcinogens every day.

But the British lung foundation has said smoking a cannabis cigarette is 20 times more carcinogenic than smoking tobacco.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lungs/cannabis-lung-health-risks-underestimated/

They even put it on the NHS website.

Edible cannabis also has known carcinogens.

And yes sugar is also bad for you. Avoiding it might be an idea.

• Advertisement

Edible cannabis also has known carcinogens.

Processed by a professional regulated company many(probably not all) could be removed.

The important thing is to get an understanding of dosage and the strength of what you are about to consume.
    I know you had it in a coffee shop but you probably had little experience on what to look for and what you would enjoy.
    You know there are over 113 active canniboid compounds in cannabis besides THC right?

Some of these same compounds are found in the tobacco plant too.

Processed by a professional regulated company many(probably not all) could be removed.
    That's very likely.

I dont know if they would have the same affect.

Its not just THC that is the active ingredient.

Thing is if it were that easy ..they would have done it with cigarettes years ago.

Anyway making it illegal isn't really working. It SHOULD be a choice.

But people should have all the information and know the risk they are taking.

Its likely using it once a week etc would be no risk to your health.

They say people who smoke once a week have no greater risk of cancer than non smokers.

People use tobacco and cannibis differently. I mean cannibis cigs are more carcinogenic but well you are hardly likely to smoke 40 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Weed is awesome your all light weights!

rapul wrote: »
    Weed is awesome your all light weights!

Tell that to someone who has schizophrenia.

Sure but it's very rare and just unlucky, still awesome!

Yes people with any mental health issue at all would be wise to avoid it.

Even anxiety.

But they are 'special population' etc.

Sure but it's very rare and just unlucky, still awesome!
    No anyone with schizophrenia or a predisposition to schizophrenia must not use cannabis. It worsens their symptoms. I don't think anyone says it causes schizophrenia in otherwise unaffected people. I could be wrong about that though.

Same with most mental health issues such as depression etc.

Its not recommended.

Thing is if it were that easy ..they would have done it with cigarettes years ago.

I would think the challenge is burning just about anything creates carcinogens in the smoke.
    It's easier to limit exposure to carcinogens if smoke is not used as the form of consumption.
    Although even as edibles it could still be challenging to make it acceptably safe.
    No anyone with schizophrenia or a predisposition to schizophrenia must not use cannabis. It worsens their symptoms. I don't think anyone says it causes schizophrenia in otherwise unaffected people. I could be wrong about that though.

The main problem is people with predisposition. Because you can warn people who have it but what do you do for people who have never had any real symptoms but have a predisposition to it.

I would think the challenge is burning just about anything creates carcinogens in the smoke.
    It's easier to limit exposure to carcinogens if smoke is not used as the form of consumption.
    Although even as edibles it could still be challenging to make it acceptably safe.

The main problem is people with predisposition. Because you can warn people who have it but what do you do for people who have never had any real symptoms but have a predisposition to it.
    Yes but its not THC that is affecting your brain then its another psychoactive compound that is produced by your liver after the THC is processed by your liver.

It affects the brain differently.

Some studies have found it causes liver damage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeadams/2019/06/18/marijuana-study-finds-cbd-can-cause-liver-damage/

People who have a family history of mental illness inc schizophrenia should avoid it too. Although of course you might not know your family history.

Its really at your own risk.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

In fairness, my selection process consisted of "gimme the most expensive thing on the menu" but I was able to get myself under control and actually turned it into an enjoyable time in the end, with window-shopping in the art and antiques district and a nice Indonesian meal.

I find a high percentage of people who are on the weed are hipster types with trust funds.

sabat wrote: »
    In fairness, my selection process consisted of "gimme the most expensive thing on the menu" but I was able to get myself under control and actually turned it into an enjoyable time in the end, with window-shopping in the art and antiques district and a nice Indonesian meal.

Yes it's a common mistake of people who visit, "given me the strongest you have"

Good thing you turned it around but you can possible see where it may have gone wrong if you had underlying mental health issues.

My positive experiences in the US legal states have come from asking for the weakest that they sell :)

I find a high percentage of people who are on the weed are hipster types with trust funds.

Far from it in my experience

Far from it in my experience

Perhaps its both ...those polarized at either end of the spectrum.

Popular drugs are used by all walks of life.

Popular drugs are used by all walks of life.
    YEAH YALL BAD UNS!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wakes too..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

But the British lung foundation has said smoking a cannabis cigarette is 20 times more carcinogenic than smoking tobacco.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lungs/cannabis-lung-health-risks-underestimated/

They even put it on the NHS website.
    I suggest you read that BLF report from 2012, that has been widely debunked and dismissed as one of the most alarming bits of disinformation ever published on the subject. The headlines did not support any such conclusions whatsoever.

There are no receptors for cannabis in the lungs. There are for nicotine. Any increases in cancer probability are through the unfiltered use of tobacco, has nothing to do with cannabis or any carcinogens. There is no study that makes an association between lung cancer and cannabis smoking alone.

Not every country smokes cannabis with tobacco. There are ample alternative methods of delivery, including vaping.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/
    https://www.drugsand.me/en/blog/can-smoking-cannabis-cause-cancer/

Cannabis was made illegal 100 years ago by the yanks as it was claimed that it had no known medical use and was categorised as a class drug (The sheep in other jurisdictions followed suit). This has now been shown up for the sham it was, and is now legal in many civilised countries. The problem in Ireland seems to be poorly educated people who have never smoked a joint in their life and are led by widely debunked misinformation.

In the context of this conversation, which is about removing the criminality associated with the plant, bringing in quality not controlled by criminals, and implementing a medical led approach rather than an administrative one is a no brainer. It will free up court and garda time to go after serious criminals and serious drugs that cause widespread damage to families and society. Cocaine and Heroin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

https://www.thejournal.ie/cameron-blair-funeral-in-cork-4980623-Jan2020/

There are 2 types of people goin to define the future of this country..

The skumbag who's name graces the title of this thread and the guy who was laid to rest today in Cork.

I know who I want my kids sharing the streets, last bus , bars and parks of this country with in the future and it's not this ****ing grey track suit runt that this thread is about.

I hope the cnut that killed Cameron Blair puts a rope around his proxy neck and departs this life sooner rather than later.

Advertisement